Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#165713 - 01/30/09 02:50 PM Revisiting K&M matchcases...and stormproof matches
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
OK, so I have been monkeying with my matches and matchcases. I have the standard K&M matchsafes as well as the long ones specifically made for the REI Stormproof matches. The difference is:

Standard = 4.00 inches (~10.10 cm) with protective cap on the compass end

Long = 4.50 inches (~11.20 cm) with protective cap on the compass end

I gotta say that even if I were not using REI stormproofs, I would get the larger size. You can always stuff it with more cotton or tinder of your choice. I alo bought the brass ones. The colored aluminum...no matter how tough, will eventually wear the color off. But the brass cases are not for you ultralight folks. When I get back to my lab next week I'll try to get weights.

In each K&M matchcase I can get 14 REI Stormproof matches and a striker wrapped in plastic. Four of the 14 need to go in oriented opposite from the others.

If you use Stormproofs in the standard cases, you'll need to trim about a CM off of the end of each match and a wee bit off of the striker.

I still dig the cases. It's nice to know I'll never wear something out for a change!

I'll try to post pics tonight.

#165727 - 01/30/09 04:42 PM Re: Revisiting K&M matchcases...and stormproof mat [Re: ]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I just recently got one of the KM matchcases myself, for my necklace stuff. I love it! I picked up an aluminum long case, and am very impressed with it so far. I like the QUALITY compass in the lid...a very nice touch!

#165728 - 01/30/09 04:46 PM Re: Revisiting K&M matchcases...and stormproof mat [Re: ]
thtimster Offline

I was fortunate enough to have picked up a few of the old aluminumn cannisters that used to hold diabetic test strips at a yard sale last year. At first I thought they were old film cannisters, but the seller informed me otherwise. They are long enough to at least hold standard wooden matches without trimming them. They might possibly be deep enough to hold waterproof matches or lifeboat matches. The caps are the plastic non-screw-off type. You just pop it off with your thumb. Some of the other modern diabetic strip cannisters are long enough too. The caps on those may have the moisture removal stuff built into the inside of the lid. YMMV. The seals on many of these lids is sturdier than the plastic film cannisters.

Tim

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.