Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#163192 - 01/15/09 12:32 AM Re: Boil in the bag pouches? [Re: BigToe]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: BigToe
There was a Survivorman episode where Les Stroud boiled water in a plastic bottle over an actively burning (not smoldering or coals) fire. I'm guessing it could be done although I would rather try with coals or hot rocks. However with all the current controversy about BPA and polyethylene I think I would not try it unless in real need. Heck, I don't even microwave with saran wrap anymore...

He also did it with a camelback bladder. As long as the part with the water is over the flame (mind you, he adjusted the height constantly so that the flame didn't lick the container), the water should withdraw enough heat from the plastic to avoid its melting.

#163194 - 01/15/09 01:03 AM Re: Boil in the bag pouches? [Re: MDinana]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure it would work, haven't you ever done the science experiments in school where you boil the water in a paper cup? The water draws away the heat fast enough to prevent burning.

Would you use this only to boil water as a way of heating up another bag, or have to food directly in the bag?

#163200 - 01/15/09 01:32 AM Re: Boil in the bag pouches? [Re: ducktapeguy]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
I'm pretty sure it would work, haven't you ever done the science experiments in school where you boil the water in a paper cup? The water draws away the heat fast enough to prevent burning.

Would you use this only to boil water as a way of heating up another bag, or have to food directly in the bag?

I was thinking about boiling water in the bag at first, but I see no reason a person could not boil food in the water.
Once you can boil water you can cook all sorts of things in it, have sterile water, and even make a cuppa tea.

I was thinking maybe I could poke a stick or something through the top part of it to hold it above the fire, or maybe tie a string to a top corner and hang it from that.
What worries me us the bag might get too soft above the water to hold any weight.

I think Saturday I will try the idea with a zip lock baggy or two and then look for a "boil in the bag" type baggy.
I don't think a zip lock will stand the heat of boiling water.
An oven bag would certainly stand the heat, but most I have seen are pretty flimsy.

It would not be as good as a real pot, but if I am carrying baggies in my emergency kit anyhow it might be a nice trick to have available.

#163277 - 01/15/09 03:56 PM Re: Boil in the bag pouches? [Re: scafool]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I do pack some of those bags in my PSK as a water storage bag tho. They are quite tough and hold more than a ziplock bag. They also fold up quite small.

#163453 - 01/16/09 06:07 PM Re: Boil in the bag pouches? [Re: scafool]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We used to use oven bags in our crock pot, then so many of them started to leak that we stopped wasting our money on them. But even if you get one that doesn't leak, I doubt that it could stand much open flame. Altho I have seen eggs cooked in a paper sack over open flame, so who knows...

#165638 - 01/29/09 08:50 PM Re: Boil in the bag pouches? [Re: ducktapeguy]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy

It's important to note that that only works with paper cups. Plastic or foam cups melt. The Boy Scouts cook eggs and other food in paper cups full of water stuck down into the coals, the water carries off heat and keeps the cup from burning, water boils, food cooks. But, again, plastic cups melt, they don't conduct the heat fast enough for the water to carry it off before the plastic absorbs enough to melt.

Edited by EdD270 (01/29/09 08:51 PM)
Edit Reason: typos

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 239 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.