The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#165161 - 01/27/09 12:45 AM Tell Me About Sporks
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
I just got an Amazon gift card for my b-day and i'm thinking of getting a good Ti spork. most of the brands are available, Brunton, Snow Peak, Sea to Summit, and i don't know one from the other really.
So, if i could get some advice, pros and cons of various brands, personal experiences, direct comparisons from anyone who owns a few different ones, I'd appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#165177 - 01/27/09 01:55 AM Re: Tell Me About Sporks [Re: Erik_B]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
Light my Fire has just released a titanium spork that's modeled after the plastic ones. Don't know if Amazon has them yet, we just received our initial shipment today. That'd be my choice because you have both a spoon and a fork and it's one piece construction. Check it out here.

#165181 - 01/27/09 02:09 AM Re: Tell Me About Sporks [Re: lifeview]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I use the plastic version of this LMF spork and it´s great. I guess the titanium version should be excellent.

#165188 - 01/27/09 02:25 AM Re: Tell Me About Sporks [Re: Erik_B]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I've got the light my fire sporks and they worked great, but I switched to the Optimus Titanium folding spork for compactness, lightness, and heat resistant if I accidentally drop it in the fire. I don't think you could go wrong with either, just depends on what you want. The folding sporks fit in my bowl and makes it easy to carry and it's right with my mess kit. Takes up no extra room.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Titanium-Folding-Spork/dp/B0017IIEXY

http://www.basegear.com/optimus-titanium-cutlery.html

#165190 - 01/27/09 02:29 AM Re: Tell Me About Sporks [Re: lifeview]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Originally Posted By: lifeview
Light my Fire has just released a titanium spork that's modeled after the plastic ones. Don't know if Amazon has them yet, we just received our initial shipment today. That'd be my choice because you have both a spoon and a fork and it's one piece construction. Check it out here.

laugh shocked grin\
ooooooooooooooooooooohh...

Edited by Erik_B (01/27/09 02:30 AM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#165193 - 01/27/09 02:37 AM Re: Tell Me About Sporks [Re: falcon5000]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
There's a hybrid spork that's made of polycarbonate, it's a spoon, fork, and serrated knife:

http://www.countycomm.com/spork.htm

I stumbled on it when I ordered a new bag from them. (By the way, if you're a fan of the BOB that Maratac has been making for County comm for years, they just released a larger version. It's now holding a bunch of goodies in the back of my truck.)

I've been using the Snow Peak Ti spork when backpacking for a couple years, pretty indestructable, light, and cleans up easily. Does get pretty hot, the composite material sporks are a little easier with hot stuff.

- Ron

#165195 - 01/27/09 02:38 AM Re: Tell Me About Sporks [Re: Erik_B]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
So, if i could get some advice, pros and cons of various brands, personal experiences, direct comparisons from anyone who owns a few different ones, I'd appreciate it.

The folding Ti-spork may allow you to store your eating utensil in your cooking pot with some other items such as a stove and gas cartridge, although they are slightly more tricky to keep clean.

I don't think the brand is to important - they all appear to rebranded items from virtually the same factory in the far east. Snow Peak, Brunton, Optimus, Sea to Summit are all very good brands.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=594

Some might prefer a seperate fork and spoon though.

Titanium has very good attributes for lightweight, durable and extremely long lasting camping cutlery.

#165200 - 01/27/09 02:48 AM Re: Tell Me About Sporks [Re: Erik_B]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
It doesn't matter who makes them, I just can't get myself to like sporks. As a spoon they leak out the front and the tines are too short to be a decent fork. Instead I opted for a Ti fork and spoon, and don't worry about the extra weight.

#165203 - 01/27/09 02:56 AM Re: Tell Me About Sporks [Re: Erik_B]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
If you can't drink it or shovel it into your mouth with chopsticks it isn't worth eating anyhow.
The only way I would pay more than 50 cents for an eating utensil is if I needed the wrench holes in the handle to fix my stove.

Say, is that a fresh can of worms?

Edit.
Actually I have a fairly heavy but solid table spoon that goes camping and hiking. I am not enough of a gearhead to spend the money they want for titanium.
Chopsticks are great for poking and stirring.

ps
If you ever get chopsticks, get the pointy Japanese or Korean style instead of the blunt Chinese style ones, or cut your own from a convenient twig.
The pointy ones are a little more awkward at first but they are more versatile

#165223 - 01/27/09 04:01 AM Re: Tell Me About Sporks [Re: Erik_B]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Try eating soup or other spooning up other liquids with a spork, it will test your patience while your food goes cold....

I carry a lexan spoon and fork which set me back a couple of dollars about 5-6 years ago.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.