The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#165422 - 01/28/09 05:25 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: RoverOver]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Unless we enter another ice age, cold "shouldn't" be a problem here in Texas.

Thanks for the info

RIP OBG

#165424 - 01/28/09 05:57 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Unless we enter another ice age, cold "shouldn't" be a problem here in Texas.

Thanks for the info

Uhhhh....

#165425 - 01/28/09 06:03 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: RoverOver]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I like the ones they market as craftsman series, especially the fact that you can get them with brightly coloured handles which makes them harder to misplace.
I also like the laminated blade versions because of the edge they will take.
I am not so fond of the straight wooden handles because there is a slightly higher risk of running your hand up onto the edge of the blade.
The knifes all take and hold an edge very well. They are all strong enough for any real working abuse.

They are very good utility knives. The red paint was on the old ones to help you not lose them too. The traditional handles were either plain or red painted birch and kind of barrel shaped with an oval cross section.

I don't think the question why they are so inexpensive fair. I think a more fair question is why are all these other knives so astoundingly expensive!
After all, aren't they are still just pieces of steel with handles?

I have a few of the Frost/Mora knives around. I have them in both stainless and carbon laminated versions.

The laminated ones have three layers in the blade. The outside layers are fairly soft and allow the blade to flex and bend a bit. The center layer is very hard and holds a truly wicked edge, but is too brittle to survive without the soft layers.

I don't know if when Mors wrote Northern Bushcraft there were Mora knives with plastic handles. I do know the last time I saw him in about 2003 he was carrying one of the ones with a plastic handle. I am not sure if it was carbon or stainless, likely carbon though.
The reason Kochanski chose Mora was because besides being a good pattern they are very common knife here, just about everyone who uses a working knife much has at least one of them.
The updated handles just make them better.

Edited by scafool (01/28/09 06:47 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#165426 - 01/28/09 06:28 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: scafool]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Well said. No doubt the best knives for the money. Mass production keeps the price down, basically all the effort goes into the blade whereas the handle and sheath are as cheap as possible while still serviceable.

That said, there are much better finished Scandinavian knives out there. Handmade grips and sheaths, beautifully finished blades. They cost more but still less than most US "high end" knives (not even custom).

I have a Frost laminated blade that I mounted myself and that thing has the best edge I've ever seen in a field knife. Sharpens very easily and keeps the edge well. If maintenance is a concern, pick stainless. But if you don't mind periodically oiling the blade, by all means go for a laminated blade.

#165428 - 01/28/09 06:57 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Tom_L]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Thanks Tom.
Like you say, they are the biggest bang for the dollar.

Mora also makes some knives with straight carbon steel.
The straight carbon steel blade is a little bit cheaper and a bit easier to sharpen because you can just use a file on it if you want. It certainly does not take or hold an edge like the laminated ones do.

While the Mora knives will take a lot of regular abuse they are still not intended as crowbars or cold chisels.

PC2K's comment is right on too.

Old Soldier shows one in his pack picture. At the moment it is at the top of the sidebar images, but here is a link too.
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=162527
Here is his comment on it;
Quote:
The knife was a no brainer though. Easy to sharpen, cheap, no frills, nice grip. The handmade sheath cost 4x as much as the knife itself!!

#165433 - 01/28/09 09:02 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
LED Offline
Veteran

You really can't go wrong with a Mora. I use one in the kitchen daily and have a couple more for camping, etc. For whatever reason, its as a fair price for a good knife. Get two and save on shipping, you'll just wind up buying another one anyway.

#165438 - 01/28/09 10:26 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Ditto on what Chris K said.

A Clipper or Craftsman in Carbon Steel is worth adding to any kit. If you file the spine to square they are the knife of choice for fire lighting with a Ferrocenium rod. The only knife that is comparable (at six times the price) is the Fallkniven F1.

For fire lighting:

Clipper/Craftsman: ******
Fallkniven F1: *****

#165445 - 01/28/09 12:07 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Several people make aftermarket sheaths for this too. But, for a knife under $15, you cannot really go wrong. If you use it EVERY DAY for a year, and have to replace it yearly, you are STILL getting a great bargain. Although, short of severe abuse, I dont really see you replacing this on a yearly level. Buying another one, yes, but not as a replacement wink

#165453 - 01/28/09 01:05 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Ragnar's prices shown are always current.
Buy a few,mess with them and you will understand.

Just want to give praise to Ragnar as a vendor. I've purchased a number of knives and sharpening products from him and he has always provided quick service. He's quick to respond to the questions and seems like a very good guy. His pricing is very reasonable. I just purchased this knife from him. Really nice craftsmanship and a reasonable price.

Not getting any kickbacks here just think good customer value deserves notice.

Andy

#165455 - 01/28/09 01:22 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Andy]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Idaho
Having been smitten by the Fallkniven F1's last year I cannot find a better knife for my use outdoors. They are tremendous knives and well worth the money IMO.

That said, I too was curious about the fuss about Mora's and ended up getting two Clippers recently. One is stainless, the 860 and the other carbon, the 840. Wow! They are light, sharp, strong and cheap. Now, I understand. Had I bought them first, I still would have gotten the Fallknivens as they are a far stronger knife and a brilliant design but there is little it will do that a Mora won't. I took the Fallkniven out of my smallest pack and stuck the 840 in instead. Saves a fair amount of weight.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.