Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#165465 - 01/28/09 02:18 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: CSG]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My primary kit knife is a F1 Fallkniven too.
The painted wood handle moras are still sold. I took one apart after it was ruined ( nephew with an electric kitchen sharpening monstrosity. The rattail tang sort of floats in a large hollow in the handle secured in the back by a crush fit roller pin and up front by the sheet metal ferrule. And there are large gaps into which water and crud can flood in.
They were all of $8 when I bought several. I've given some to hiking companions who never owned a knife, freaked seeing me with one, freaked again when some small wreck occured and the knife resolved things and wanted a knife NOW. Always encourage new converts. One wound up lost in horse tack and emerged rusty. i cleaned it up and it works fine. 2 remain in my secondary kits, rehoned to even better edges, oiled and sitting in those wretched sheaths that actually work.

#165477 - 01/28/09 03:20 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I use a stainless Mora around the house for cutting up large cardboard boxes to go to the recyclers. It is great fun slicing through the really heavy thick boxes that largescreen TV's, trampolines, etc. come in. You just stab and pull downwards, you don't even need a back and forth slicing motion. I was quite impressed by that! And I find the Moras very easy to sharpen too.

#165495 - 01/28/09 06:45 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: haertig]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I bought my first Mora from a Pamida store (think of a small Target or Walmart) in NW Iowa in about 1986 or so. I bought it as a cheap knife to use for digging wild plants out of the ground. I was taking a botany course at the time.

It had a black plastic handle and the classic cheap plastic sheath, and no matter how much I abused it, with a little sharpening it would get really REALLY sharp.

It wasn't until I read Cody Lundin's book and found ragweedforge.com mabye 20 years later that I realized that ugly cheap knife was a Mora.

Since then I've purchased quite a few Mora's from ragweedforge.com for different uses. The first one purchased after reading 98.6 degrees was the #137 with the hot-waxed leather sheath.

My favorites are the so-called "Modern Mora Knives from KJ Eriksson" that have numbers like 746 and 748. I like the feel of the handles. These days I mostly use them as car camping kitchen knives. I bought a set of 746, 748, and 749 (4", 5.75", and 8" SS blades) for my cook tub (used for car-based tent camping) and another set for my travel trailer. The plastic sheaths work great for camp kitchen use where a fancy robust knife is simply not needed and an un-sheathed knife is asking for trouble.

#165502 - 01/28/09 07:30 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Just about any of the inexpensive Mora's that Ragnar offers are worth having. The Clipper series is a great knife to tuck in a bunch of places. I recently got a red handled carbon Clipper that is perfect in my truck kit. I resisted these inexpensive knives for many years.

Ragnar also offers some slightly higher end knives that are definately worth investigating. The Iisakki Järvenpää Aito (1244) birchbark handle upscale "Mora" is my favorite of his offerings.

#165504 - 01/28/09 07:41 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Schwert]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Maybe you'all can tell me more about a knife I bought at REI
in 1974. I was called a "Swedish Surfman's Hunting Knife".
It is stainless steel blade with a wood, paring knife shaped handle
and a drop point. Came with an embossed leather sheath with
a button hole on the belt loop so you could button it to your
overalls like the Swede's like to do. I has been a very durable
knife, but I have never seen one like it since.

#165511 - 01/28/09 08:44 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: clearwater]
Jakam
Unregistered

Desperado, I have that exact model, green plastic handle with the green plastic sheath, from SG, based on a recommendation on another forum.

It is, as stated, very sharp right out of the packaging, and obviously good steel. Seems to me it's cheap because that handle and sheath are bottom rung. It has been suggested that it be bought for the blade, the plastic removed and tossed, and new handle sheath created/bought.

But I keep it as is, if (or when) the handle does break, I'll deal with it then.

#165518 - 01/28/09 08:59 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have only had one sheath for a Mora break and that was from the knife getting hammered into it so hard that it split.
I have misplaced a few of them though.
They are not really hard to make and for the wood handled knives a piece of thin wall water supply pipe (plastic) makes a workable sheath.

#165521 - 01/28/09 09:02 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: scafool]
Jakam
Unregistered

That's what I was thinkin', and a sheath would be pretty much any standard 7 incher.

#165523 - 01/28/09 09:22 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Okay,
Would it be a cost effective/quality piece of equipment for the multiple BOB's everyone and their brother wants me to make all of the sudden?

IMO: yes.

I would take a Mora Clipper (or two, they're light and inexpensive) into the bush any time. But I don't abuse knives.

As others have said, they're a cutting tool, not a prybar. If in doubt, add a cheap flat prybar or oversize flat screwdriver to the kit.

#165531 - 01/28/09 10:36 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: dougwalkabout]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Okay,
Would it be a cost effective/quality piece of equipment for the multiple BOB's everyone and their brother wants me to make all of the sudden?

IMO: yes.

I would take a Mora Clipper (or two, they're light and inexpensive) into the bush any time. But I don't abuse knives.

As others have said, they're a cutting tool, not a prybar. If in doubt, add a cheap flat prybar or oversize flat screwdriver to the kit.

Chisel Version too, (though not a prybar)
http://www.ragweedforge.com/712.jpg

Edited by clearwater (01/28/09 10:36 PM)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.