Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164827 - 01/24/09 02:43 PM Start up options
dual_primed Offline
Stranger

Hi all. Total new guy here. I've reviewed the various lists on the website and have inventoried what I have on hand, and though I have a few items, I am woefully ill-equipped which is actually surprising after 16 years in the Army keeping stuff through each PCS move.

So my new guy question is: what were your techniques in obtaining a minimum inventory in your various kits? I'm sure they run from spending a couple of paychecks in one swoop to slipping in an extra item every time you went to a store.

With a wife and two kids, I'm sure most of you understand the budgetary concerns as well.

I hope I've articulated my question well enough and I look forward to your expertise. Thanks.

#164830 - 01/24/09 03:23 PM Re: Start up options [Re: dual_primed]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
I gear up for survival and disaster prep the same way i do for the various hobbies I enjoy, though I naturally give my survival a higher priority than a mere hobby. Anyway, I basically just budget in a dollar figure monthly. For instance say $40. Then I assess what gear I alreeady have, its condition and identify/prioritize my future needs which come out of this "fund". If I identified a better knife as my highest priority then 3 months worth might go to a mini-RSK, with some left over that would either carry over to next month or maybe replace the stale snicker bars in my waist pack kit.

I hope you get the idea. How much to set aside you would of course have to decide for yourself.

Good Luck

Edited by Stoney (01/24/09 03:28 PM)

#164832 - 01/24/09 03:35 PM Re: Start up options [Re: Stoney]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I already had a few of the things that are in my bag. I started buying stuff as I saw it. Most of it came from various websites, some from Walmart and Academy Sports.

#164833 - 01/24/09 03:45 PM Re: Start up options [Re: Stoney]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is a big difference between what we want, and what we need.
When I look at the overwhelming selection of knives and options compared to just a few decades past, well, it gives me shivers to think of the things I did with a Linder sailor's knife in ROSTFREI which is german for lousy 440c steel.
Make a basic list. Prioritize what you KNOW you will need and ignore waht you think would be nice. Familiar foods are a better investment than fancy medicines for upset digestive systems.
And if you buy inexpensive items until you can or NEED to improve on them: DO NOT assume the mindset they are 'inferior' or wont do the job. They will.
then you can breath easy, and look at the latest knives we all want, desperately.

#164838 - 01/24/09 04:30 PM Re: Start up options [Re: dual_primed]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Mr. Chris Kavanaugh is so correct. My first knife was a stout"Old Hickory" paring knife my mom let me have, My first canteen was a "Mason" jar with a old towel wrapped around it, and a small sized rope sling. Those item went on many weekend trips with me in my youth(now long,long gone). Although I have newer and better knifes at this time, I still have the Old Hickory and use it as my camp knife. smile

#164839 - 01/24/09 04:31 PM Re: Start up options [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Pretty much what Chris said. Personally, I think it depends on what you're trying to do, ie, car kit vs BOB vs some supplies for the house...

If for the house, things like food and water can be gotten at big bulk stores in large quantities (Costco, etc). Every case of something you buy, take one of the items out and toss it in your storage area. Look for deals at the supermarkets. Right now there's 5 cans of tuna for $4, but I'm pretty good on that (and probably will be sick of it by the time I've eaten it all). Don't neglect to include everyday items into your plans. Most guys have some tools - they don't have to be "special" or bought specifically for a disaster to be included in supplies. Same for clothes.

Car and BOB type kits... I had a good base of camping equipment to start with. Haunt online stores to look for good deals, or shop the folks under the "retailers" on the main ETS site. Places like Backcountry.com, Rei-outlet, Sierratradingpost.com have great deals at times, if you can wait for them to pop up. I would avoid places like Walmart unless absolutely necessary. And I personally abhor anything made by Coghlan's.

Don't buy everything at once. I did that for my girlfriend's car kit, and it was pricey. And like Chris said, don't be afraid to upgrade. Lots of my second-hand stuff I toss into the car, or into my gf's to upgrade what I bought her.

#164842 - 01/24/09 04:54 PM Re: Start up options [Re: dual_primed]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
First, look at your family's daily lives and the things you use therein. Then look at the things from that list to see what you MUST have (special food, medicine, etc.). Start from there to build your supply list. [My $100 knife will do me little good if my wife is off her meds for more than a day] Once that is complete, get your finances and documents in order. This is the least "fun" part, so do it first. Kinda like PT in the morning; Once it's gone, you can get on with the day.

Now that you have all the REALLY important stuff done, and the budget for your BOB (remember finances earlier), make a plan.

The plan will need to have all possible "threats" you face (fire, tornado, unemployment, deployment, et.al.) Said plan FINALLY tells you what you need. If going to grandma's house to be out of hurricane range is the plan, do you really need a 6 person tent? Maybe you will if all 20 relatives are going to grandma's 2 bedroom house, but that is dependent on your unique situation.

Now we have the really important stuff done. We have a plan, and a budget. Let's make two lists. What do I really need, and what do I really want.

Fill the NEED with affordable quality items that will do the job first. Later when you replace NEED items with WANT items, you have backup items for other locations or family.

I hope this helps, I had to do 4 BOB's at once. I was lucky enough to be able to afford it, but not all can. Then I had to do a 5th from a no-notice start, and it was easier because I had a plan.

There is a website I found here at ETS. This family lived the nightmare of Katrina and thought they were ready. It tells of his experiences and lessons learned. It is probably the best first person After Action Review (AAR) of that disaster available to date. Listening to Katrina

I wish you luck, and welcome you to the fire. You will find a warm place here, but please bring a "log" (information/ideas/questions) or two.

Edited by Desperado (01/24/09 05:34 PM)

RIP OBG

#164853 - 01/24/09 08:26 PM Re: Start up options [Re: ]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I am with Izzy here. Build your own stuff. You can always add to it. Keep it simple; things you wear, things in a pocket, things you'll carry.
What you would wear; multitool (my preference), or a SAK or pocketknife, some sort of light, a way to make fire, some cordage. Things in my pocket; basic survival kit, either look at QUALITY ones, and build something around that, or buy a decent one (suggestions have already been made). I hybrid here; I bought one of Dougs PSKs, and built on that. I no longer have the plastic case it came in; I have a waterproof hardshell plastic case its all in now. This slips into a pocket, and can be carried hiking, kayaking, whatever. I also have a survival necklace, which is about 10' of paracord, with a metal matchcase w/compass on it with storm matches from REI, a ferro rod, a fox40 whistle, and, soon, one of Dougs new little knives. Additionally, I made a little paracord bracelet, which is about another 15' or so.
With these two alone, I have enough to build a shelter, and get a fire going. That would get me through the night.
Additionally, when I carry a daypack, I have a canteen w/metal cup, more paracord, a heatsheet, some Clif bars, my mora knife with firesteel, first aid kit, orienteering compass, another flashlight, 2 large leaf bags, 2 1 gallon ziploc bags, a folding saw, and some gloves (I have pics of my gear in the photo gallery).
This is enough to make a day or two out tolerable, if not comfortable. I have mixed & matched gear over the years, and kept what I liked.
Also, if that werent enough, I have an alcohol stove, tarp tent, wool blanket, and additional food in my jeep. Winter I add an avalanche shovel and a warm sleeping bag.
There's 3 things I would consider priority, and am redundant with; cordage (carrying is FAR easier than making), firemaking material (I have lighters, firesteel, and matches, usually 3 ways to start one on me at most times), and a compass (on planned hikes, I have at LEAST 2, one being my old military one).
Oh, and I guess a knife. I cannot readily fashion one of those in the wild. Yet wink.
The important thing is to think in layers; wear what you'd need for one night; put in your pockets something for a couple of days, carry for a week.

#164854 - 01/24/09 08:41 PM Re: Start up options [Re: oldsoldier]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
If you ask me - and you did - you're better off learning the required skills through extensive practice and research. In the process, you are bound to discover for yourself what is out there and what part of that you actually need.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#164864 - 01/24/09 10:24 PM Re: Start up options [Re: dual_primed]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The big questions we need to have answered are...

Where are you?
What is likely to bite you?
How long is it likely to keep biting?
What are you going to do when it bites?
What are your skills?
What are the skills of your spouse and kids?
How old are the kids?
Are there any special needs to keep in mind?
What do you already have?

If you already have good clothing, that's a big part of it. The rest of it really isn't super expensive. I ran my roommate through what makes up 72 hours of food and basics this afternoon, and other than a knife (she has a couple of them already) and cigs it could be done for under 50 bucks. *shrugs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 331 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.