Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#165288 - 01/27/09 04:49 PM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: CSG]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: CSG
Doug, I was kidding about the ever increasing size. I do hope that the container the new kit will be in would be available separately so that one can transfer the contents of the PSP and add a couple additional items (those that are included in the PSP+. It would be rather silly to buy PSP+'s when one already owns the PSP.

In other words, sell the + items and case separately as a *completion* package so the PSP owner can expand his kit if he chooses.

Interesting thought...

#165289 - 01/27/09 05:05 PM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: CSG]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CSG
Doug, I was kidding about the ever increasing size. I do hope that the container the new kit will be in would be available separately so that one can transfer the contents of the PSP and add a couple additional items (those that are included in the PSP+). It would be rather silly to buy PSP+'s when one already owns the PSP.

In other words, sell the + items and case separately as a *completion* package so the PSP owner can expand his kit if he chooses.

Actually, we were discussing the feasibility of just such a package at OR this past week. There are some issues involved, but it is on the list of possibilities. We shall see, no promises.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (01/27/09 05:07 PM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#165292 - 01/27/09 05:23 PM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: CSG]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Stumbled across this............

http://wildboarblades.com/linderpage5.htm

Or the knife from this set.

#165307 - 01/27/09 06:09 PM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: falcon5000]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Regarding the Benchmite and other all metal knives I rather prefer handle not to be made of metal. Think about freezing temperatures in winter. When using tiny knife like this you usually take off your gloves. And even when using the knife with thin glove liners, unless the handle is textured the knife tends to slip in your hand. Doug´s new mini knife is a fixed blade so the handle can be wrapped with cord but you cannot do that with folding knife.
That´s why I also carry plastic signaling whistle and not a metal one.

#165308 - 01/27/09 06:15 PM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: CSG]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like a little locking buck knife, and a lighter, light and a few other items carried away for the main PSK

#165318 - 01/27/09 07:30 PM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: TeacherRO]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
A good quality pen knife would be great IMHO.
They are hard to find.

Amyway, since most people I know carry a pocket knife if they carry any extra gear at all I think the best knife for a PSP is a good decent small pocket knife.
Not a combat, tactical or an assault something or other, just a small folder like your granpappy always had in his pocket to cut a string, whittle on a stick, or slice a chaw a' tabacca off the plug of tabacca he always had with him.
Something with stag or bone scales and well rounded nickel silver bolsters and good springy high carbon steel...

Think about what the people carried before and why. There was a reason a pen knife was called a pen knife and why small folders were often known as stockmen's knives.

In your grandparent's time people people carried small knives like that because they used them constantly, for everything from castrating steers and cutting binder twine off haybales to sharpening pencils.

It might be a good time to look back at the older designs that were dictated by the needs of people who actually used them a lot.

#165322 - 01/27/09 07:41 PM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: lukus]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: lukus
I'm a little surprised no one's suggested the Gerber Ultralight LST. It's a real knife, very thin, very light, and quite affordable.

You beat me to it!

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pro...=&SKU=G6050

#165325 - 01/27/09 07:53 PM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: TeacherRO]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
Regarding the Benchmite and other all metal knives I rather prefer handle not to be made of metal. Think about freezing temperatures in winter. When using tiny knife like this you usually take off your gloves. And even when using the knife with thin glove liners, unless the handle is textured the knife tends to slip in your hand.

The same reason why I haven't bought a Benchmite yet though I've come very close to ordering one already. An all-metal grip is just as bad in a hot climate if you leave it in the sun BTW. I actually burned my palm that way in the Sahara once, you'd need to see it to believe it... lol

#165327 - 01/27/09 07:54 PM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: Ron]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I have a Alox Lumberjack SAK in my PSP

Two Alox Lumberjacks and a red Alox Farmer
I like the small saw and the combo tool. I find the saw handy for building shelters, tools and traps. I prefer the Farmer model more as a knife, but the smaller Lunberjack fits in the PSP pouch better.

Edited by SBRaider (01/27/09 07:54 PM)

#165383 - 01/28/09 01:00 AM Re: Best mini-knife to fit Ritter PSP? [Re: CSG]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Gerber's STL 2.0 makes a decent size backup to the SAK/SwissTool and CRKT M16 EDC.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 468 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.