Topic Options
#165143 - 01/26/09 11:18 PM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Izzy,

Two eTrex failures taught me one thing. They do not like vibration. A 3 foot bounce off the pavement they can survive. Riding in my truck with constant but small road vibration does them in every time. If you think this might be part of the issue, see if it is possible to isolate it somewhat from the constant vibes.

If that is the case with all eTrex units I'll find out soon enough. The Vista HCx is fairly new and does have a thinner case, so there may have been a redesign done. I do a lot of car traveling with it and cycling with it, my GPS that is. So we'll find out for sure before the one year warranty is up. If it does go bad soon I will most likely upgrade to the Oregon or Colorado models.

Mine were not in use, they were thrown into the console of the truck and then used of site surveys and if I was hiking or whatever. If on some kind of vehicle mount, the is probably isolation enough.

RIP OBG

#165155 - 01/27/09 12:20 AM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Thanks for the answer Izzy.

Some of our uses are the same. I used to use the waypoints quite a bit to record discovered locations and features that were not on the maps, and then write them down in my notes and on the map itself.
I also used it for setting destinations from a map with a chain of waypoints to get there.

The most useful thing to me is still the ability to get an accurate position fix when I need it.

I try not to start relying on them too much because electronics always seem to fritz out on me just when they are needed the most.

#165164 - 01/27/09 12:54 AM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
.... But my concern is that people will go out into the middle of nowhere relying on a GPS and having no other navigational aids or training...and the batteries and dying and then the people follow shortly after. Such is the downside of all electric power, though. It doesn't last.

Precisely, I was on a boat one time that the LORAN failed (yup, that long ago) and found out that nobody was really quite sure of where we were, had no charts and had no bearing compass.

#165166 - 01/27/09 01:00 AM Re: Re-Thinking Batteries [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'll probably disassemble the Venture Cx. Problem is they're designed to stay sealed once assembled, so if I did manage to fix it (I probably could. I've pulled off other feats of daring do in my life) it wouldn't be IPX-7 anymore cause...from the looks of it you have to cut off the black rubber band around the perimeter to break the seal.

*Shrug* It'll be worthy of vehicle use, at least.

That was my thought too, there is an empty spot in my instrument cluster I thought I'd mount one

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.