Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#164465 - 01/22/09 07:17 PM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: Mike_H]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Mike_H
Since I already carry a Gerber Infinity (single AA LED) that seems to last forever, I'm mostly looking to get the Pico for the survival kit. Possibly getting another for a keychain if I really like it.

I've got one of the CMG Infinity lights and I use it a lot. It isn't going to blind anyone but with a lithium battery in it the darn thing just runs FOREVER. I also really like my Fenix P2D Q5 which is very similar in size. If the Fenix had an extra extra low setting it might put the CMG out of a job entirely.

#164505 - 01/22/09 08:46 PM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: 7point82]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
What is this minilight used for?
If it is for a camping light I will stick with my candle stubs.

If it is for an emergency signal I want as many candle power as I can get into a nice tight beam (but not quite laser tight)which I can wave in big arm length "COME HERE NOW" circles.

A very small, very bright and impossible to turn on by accident light seems ideal.
I will be thinking very hard about ordering a few of these to replace my old pelican lights and mini-mag lights as they wear out.

They seem small enough that I might order a couple as zipper pulls and keychain junk anyhow because the pelites and minimags are just a little bit too big to carry every day and every place.

#164521 - 01/22/09 10:05 PM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
My only issue is that it's so small it uses - gasp - LR 41 button batteries. However, I've begun stocking a supply of button batteries anyway, so I guess it's not the worst thing. In fact, I'm going to post a separate thread on this very topic.

I couldn't agree more about the LR41s for the Pico Lite, they are far to small in capacity. A typical LR41 is rated at about 40mAhrs multiply that by 4 and you get 160mAhrs @ 1.5 Volts. The AAA Energiser Lithium Cell is rated at 1250mAhrs @ 1.5 Volts or about just under 8 times the energy storage capacity.

If you consider the Fenix EO1 with an Energiser Lithium AAA

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=435

has almost 6-8 times the runtime (about 11 hrs) as the Pico Lite at the same illumination for a similar purchase cost but is physically only just over twice the size.

Again as a EDC item, AAA cells will be so much easier to find than LR41s, i.e. pulled from remote controls etc.

#164667 - 01/23/09 04:12 PM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
In for two, one for me and one for the wife. We'll see how truly indestructible it is. I destroy everything but keys that ends up on my keychain, so I'll be interested to see how this bad boy handles it. I don't like sites that have flat shipping, or even more expensive shipping though. It's really disappointing to see that two things that are the size of a quarter each either cost $7.50 flat shipping, or I can do it ground and it's $10.. ridiculous. You stick them in a padded envelope, slap a label on it.. not a huge fan of that.

Good point... They should just pack them in some padded envelopes.

Once again, why I am waiting for the new PSP to come out and I'll go pick it up at my local REI, most likely...

#164673 - 01/23/09 04:45 PM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: scafool]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: scafool
What is this minilight used for? They seem small enough that I might order a couple as zipper pulls and keychain junk anyhow because the pelites and minimags are just a little bit too big to carry every day and every place.

I was working the SAFE show where Doug used these lights as promotional items. They are well made and I think will be very sturdy over the long haul. From what Doug told me these lights are intended for occasional use (finding the keyhole in the dark kinda thing) and the other goal was to make it so easy to carry that you would always have it with you. I will tell you that the aircrew personnel thought the lights were great, a number of them said they'd be great on the zipper pulls of their flight suits.

Regrettably I gave the ones I picked up at the show to the DD's and my brothers-in-law so I guess I'll have to buy some for myself.

I buy button cells in bulk from DealExtreme. They generally are a good deal. I use small pill fobs to carry spare button cells on the keyring. American Science Surplus has nice deals on those.

Only got a glimpse of the new knife but it looked pretty snazzy.

#164675 - 01/23/09 05:02 PM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: Mike_H]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
Stores such as ours have to use a shipping method that either provides tracking or a delivery confirmation, such as Priority Mail, FedEx or UPS.

The minimum cost of shipping is 4.75 for a package weighing less than one pound via Priority Mail. Fees go up quickly for packages weighing over one pound. FedEx or UPS is quite a bit more.

The 7.50 flat fee shipping is usually less than our actual cost. The exception is for small items such as the Pico.

I've created a coupon code that reduces the shipping to $4.75 for any one who wants to purchase up to one pound of Picos. Just choose flat rate shipping and put etspico1 in the coupon field for a $2.75 discount. Valid through Feb. 28th. It's not perfect, but it should help.

#164682 - 01/23/09 06:00 PM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: lifeview]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: lifeview
Stores such as ours have to use a shipping method that either provides tracking or a delivery confirmation, such as Priority Mail, FedEx or UPS.

The minimum cost of shipping is 4.75 for a package weighing less than one pound via Priority Mail. Fees go up quickly for packages weighing over one pound. FedEx or UPS is quite a bit more.

The 7.50 flat fee shipping is usually less than our actual cost. The exception is for small items such as the Pico.

I've created a coupon code that reduces the shipping to $4.75 for any one who wants to purchase up to one pound of Picos. Just choose flat rate shipping and put etspico1 in the coupon field for a $2.75 discount. Valid through Feb. 28th. It's not perfect, but it should help.

Now that is customer service!!!

#164693 - 01/23/09 06:36 PM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: Matt]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Ordered mine today.

#164717 - 01/23/09 08:23 PM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: Matt]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Interesting light but I have one question. Since this device runs on alkaline battery how does it cope with freezing temperatures? I think lithium battery would be better choice for outdoor/survival gear.

#164765 - 01/24/09 12:03 AM Re: eGear Pico Light [Re: lifeview]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
How many Picos make a pound?

*grinning like a kid at an old school candy counter*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.