Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#164237 - 01/21/09 07:39 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: TeacherRO]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Am I the only one who carries little or no para cord? I just read where one hiker carries 100' - just in case. I'd rather use the space/$/ weight in my pack for other items...

Cordage is one of the most useful things in a TSHTF. And one of the most difficult to improvise/manufacture. At least in the short term. Not having any strikes me as being unwise.

2 x 20' lengths in my back pocket's.
1 x 30' length in my bag or back pack (minimum)
And I might have at least one more 3-6' length stashed somewhere about my person.

So as you see, 100'is not unreasonable.

One thing that I do like about 550 cord is that it is very user friendly. Easy to knot and easy to undo.

#164249 - 01/21/09 08:55 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
I think people make too much of the mil-spec name...
What you want is REAL para-cord.
I sometimes buy mil-spec and sometimes just go to the source and buy from a rigger's store...
They have REAL para-cord in MANY variations.
If you need thinner, they have (I think) down to 4 strand. and I really like the 10 and 12 strand stuff.
That stuff is STRONG!

You do want to be sure that you get the REAL para-cord though...
A lot of what is sold does NOT have the inner strands that are each made up of two even smaller strands.
Some just has the fibers(unstranded) inside of the outer covering. This CAN be strong, but there is no guarantee...

#164273 - 01/21/09 10:40 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: ]
drahthaar Offline

I think its better to carry a few feet of paracord, about 100 feet of 2mm dyneema (which has a 1,000 pound plus rating, I believe) and then about 20 yards of braided spectra 20 pound fishing line.

Takes up less space than paracord, is much, much stronger than paracord, and you can use the fishing line with having to take apart your paracord.

#164276 - 01/21/09 10:56 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: TeacherRO]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
If you're serious about survival and bushcraft why not buy a 1000' spool, one in olive drab for winter and one in white for summer. Bright orange seems like a good idea but it just turns brown as it gets dirty. You keep that spool at home or at your camp and when you need emergency cord to pack in your survival kits, you just measure it by arm spans. You need some to practice anyway. Mors Kochanski recommends 7 arm spans but that is according to his settings and predictions, like getting stuck in the boreal forest and having to build Roycroft snowshoes. Nylon paracord is ideal for lashing because of its elasticity, but you should gut it (remove the seven inner strands) in this case.

#164288 - 01/21/09 11:57 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I have been using 550 cord as boot laces since 1988. I promise it will last wwwaaayyy longer than any lace that comes from the factory.

RIP OBG

#164365 - 01/22/09 01:26 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Tragically the eyelets on my Bates GX-8's won't take paracord.

Try the 4-strand (but sometimes 5-strand; watch your sources) Type II cord, which is constructed the same but is a bit narrower in diameter.

#164379 - 01/22/09 02:42 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I'm surprised at how long this thread has continued, but it seems that most like their cordage.

What are people's thoughts on using paracord for water rescue in a pinch? Someone fell through a hole in ice type scenario?

#164381 - 01/22/09 02:52 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: Mike_H]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I have at least 100" of catfish string on the outside loops of my BOB. It is broken up into 25' lengths. I can't remember how long the roll is but it was a good deal at the Big Blue Retailer. It only cost a few bucks. It is rated at 330lbs. Good enough for me. Caveat: it has a tar-like coating on it. The smell and stickiness wears off in just a little while. I love the stuff.

#164384 - 01/22/09 03:25 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: MoBOB]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Paracord for rescue work would be good in a pinch but obviously not the best choice. It's really thin which makes it hard to hold and it cuts into your hands. It would be even harder to use with gloves or mittens but if it's all you've got...If you're gonna be around ice a lot it would probably be a good idea to have thicker, stronger rope. Of course you also have the problem of getting the rope to the victim.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#164391 - 01/22/09 04:19 PM Re: Paracord...how much is too much? [Re: Mike_H]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Mike_H
I'm surprised at how long this thread has continued, but it seems that most like their cordage.

What are people's thoughts on using paracord for water rescue in a pinch? Someone fell through a hole in ice type scenario?

I would use whatever I had available in a pinch!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.