Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164165 - 01/21/09 02:56 PM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: oldsoldier]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, I certainly hope they bring a good supply of Immodium with them, they are going to need it. They will be experiencing some dis-stress if they change their diet so radically for more than a couple days.

Hope they find a good leaf source while they're at it. Bark is kinda rough.

I prefered alder leaves myself. Just the right size, and nice and smooth, but with just enough gentle ridges to get the job done.

#164171 - 01/21/09 03:25 PM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: benjammin]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Hope they find a good leaf source while they're at it. Bark is kinda rough.

Ouch!

#164177 - 01/21/09 03:57 PM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: Mike_H]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Interesting. One of the participants will be a traditional Jewish man who attended a rabbinical school - I wonder how he will rationalize or address his dietary needs if he follows the kosher diet. Then again, I don't expect it will come up much, as I wouldn't assume alot of food from foraging. If they're dependent on roots and berries I hope they're in an uninhabited area (but not far from a strategic retreat), I hope the frost isn't late and the berries are plentiful, I hope they find them, and don't mind foraging all day for their food. Alexander Supertramp...

30 days is alot longer than a 2 week outdoor camp. 30 days gone walkabout is a helluva lot longer than 28 days, from the perspective of day 28, should they get there. I predict they'll realize within a week they don't want to be there, they don't have to be there, and in all probability run for the nearest Wendy's by first sunday. Its so easy to rationalize that they have enough story and footage for a documentary after that much time.

#164196 - 01/21/09 05:38 PM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: Lono]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I hope they do well.

Even if they can't manage to go the full 30 days, it may not be a failure, but instead a success.

Judging by the blog it seems most likely that they will fail, at the very least in some of their lofty goals, but it still may provide some valuable insight for these three and possibly others.

If they go to the right place, people know where they are, and there is some kind of contact it may be no more hazardous than your average camping trip with the exception that should they get hungry enough they may decide to hike to the car and go home.

#164197 - 01/21/09 05:39 PM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: Lono]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I'm struck by a couple of things, first they name 3 people as participating but they only have 2 of them talking about themselves, who's "Beny"?
Second, why does anyone need multiple reasons to do what they claim they're going to do? "I want to go to the woods and see if I can survive with my friends for 30 days."

That really sums it up, the rest seems like some sort of post-modern rationalization to me. "We need more reasons dammit..."

They quote from Mr. Thoreau a lot, but I don't think they get the fact that he knew a helluva lot more about living in the woods at Walden then they do about wherever they're going. He also took supplies and tools with him to build his house in the woods if I'm not mistaken. He was living his life deliberately, not stupidly.

I wish them luck but I'm also struck by the fact that they're advertising their adventure months in advance, I'd find it all the more interesting if they simply went and did it, then came home and started their PR campaign.

I too don't quite see the connection to combatting racism, guess they need more reasons after all...

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#164204 - 01/21/09 05:58 PM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: JohnE]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
We need to bring back the draft. These guys need something useful to do.

#164261 - 01/21/09 09:46 PM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: unimogbert]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I clicked on their pics, and they are some of hiking in 2000. Judging by the captions to the photos, there are at least 2 of them that did SOME hiking time on the AT. However, they encountered some issues, I think healthwise, that caused them to cut a 2 week trip short.
Now, 2 weeks on the AT, IMHO, does NOT equate to outdoors skills. The AT is often referred to as a "moving city". And, MANY, MANY people hike the whole thing, with NO previous experience in the woods at all. The nice part of the AT is that, practically any time of the year, SOMEONE is bound to run across you within a day if SHTF. So, there is a safety net there.
I gave them some things to think about on their blog; however, I am leaning towards them failing. I DO have it marked to watch though. I'd be surprised if they even start on this.
And, every time I go camping now, I am doing it for a noble reason! They have INSPIRED me!!
Ok, just kidding. I do it to get away from people wink

#164347 - 01/22/09 06:19 AM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: ]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Yeah.. this just smacks of PAY ATTENTION TO ME! I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY I'M YOUNG AND I KNOW EVERYTHING AND ITS IMPORTANT! I remember college when we all thought we were going to change the world. Those days were great.. those days pass you by pretty quick once you get a real job and realize that at best you might be able to find some like minded individuals and grab life by the horns and get the most out of it.

grin Hear hear!

#164350 - 01/22/09 06:37 AM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: scafool]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
In which park are "The Unforgiving Bowels of Mother Nature" located anyhow.
I tried looking them up in my guidebook and...

Edited by scafool (01/22/09 07:26 AM)

#164352 - 01/22/09 12:22 PM Re: Escaping civilization [Re: scafool]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
I don't have an answer to people who ask 'why should the outdoors change people for the better?'.
But it's a fact I've never known of anything being stolen from a rural campsite or hostel (and anyone could walk into a hostel drying room and help themselves to expensive gear). And I've never met a bad person walking or camping.
Maybe those are the people who go, rather than going there that makes them like that. I think these boys certainly won't be any worse for their camping trip.
QJS

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.