Topic Options
#164790 - 01/24/09 02:17 AM Re: Editorial About Charging For Rescue [Re: ki7he]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: ki7he
Originally Posted By: bsmith
the question i have is : who pays for the chopper? nevada county or the military or a private entity that has an arrangement with the county?

Originally Posted By: benjammin
I note that the recent Mt. Hood recovery of a dead hiker utilized Blackhawk helicopters owned by the National Guard. Last I remember, the National Guard is paid for out of government funds. I have yet to hear that the survivor was billed for the service. That means every citizen of Oregon gets to pay for their mistake.

It comes out of the training budget of the military. You have to bear in mind that the chopper crew are required a certain number of hours a month of training. That's the same if they're using it for SAR, public affair events or generally just flying around burning fuel. If you talk to them they'ed rather be spend that time doing something useful like SAR or medical evacuation. It costs the same either way so you can't always count that as a cost of the search.

ain't necessarily so, joe.
the most recent extraction i'm aware of ALMOST took place on mt hood by a national guard blackhawk.

from the register-guard here.
"An Oregon Army National Guard Blackhawk helicopter was called to airlift the pair off the mountain, authorities said, but was recalled after one climber was reported dead and the other had climbed down on his own."

so it appears to me they had better things to do - or were conscious of the cost and safety of their crew - than to extract a person who was already dead.

point is, dollars count.

the local crew in my area (sheriffs dept) flies about one mission per day - law enforcement, sar, medical rescue, marijuana (!) extraction from the forest - etc. otherwise, they are not just "flying around", they are at base. i know. i just called and asked.

#164797 - 01/24/09 03:15 AM Re: Editorial About Charging For Rescue [Re: bsmith]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
It ain't about the dollars. Its about risk. The MAST choppers
don't do recovery of bodies.

#164808 - 01/24/09 04:23 AM Re: Editorial About Charging For Rescue [Re: bsmith]
ki7he Offline

Loc: SW Idaho

ain't necessarily so, joe.
the most recent extraction i'm aware of ALMOST took place on mt hood by a national guard blackhawk.

from the register-guard here.
"An Oregon Army National Guard Blackhawk helicopter was called to airlift the pair off the mountain, authorities said, but was recalled after one climber was reported dead and the other had

so it appears to me they had better things to do - or were conscious of the cost and safety of their crew - than to extract a person who was already dead.

point is, dollars count.

I thought the question was about who pays for military choppers when they're used in a SAR mission. I'm not sure what point you're making to the statement I made? Are you suggesting that someone else, other than the tax payers, are paying for the missions? That would be nice, I guess, but that's just not so.

the local crew in my area (sheriffs dept) flies about one mission per day - law enforcement, sar, medical rescue, marijuana (!) extraction from the forest - etc. otherwise, they are not just "flying around", they are at base. i know. i just called and asked.

Now you're talking about a local sherrifs office. I can't speak to that. The original question was about military choppers not civilian law enforcement. As someone else mentioned, the military doesn't do do body recovery (or law enforcement for that matter). Every mission they do assist on has to first be approved by the Pentagon before they can participate (at least that's how the Idaho National Guard operates). They generally can only assist in medical related missions. Maybe that's why you get the impression they only fly missions they feel like it or are only flying high profile missions.

Edited by ki7he (01/24/09 04:25 AM)

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.