Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#158871 - 12/18/08 05:25 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Jakam
Unregistered

Hey Canoedogs, I think the same thing when reading and viewing some of the posts, and we got into a nomenclature discussion on the "escape and evasion" post still up....

How about this take on it-

EDC- every day carry- a swiss key and sliver grippers and dog tag on my key ring with allergy info.

AAC- all around coat- I have my ScotteVest, with SAK, DR PSK, hat, gloves, bandanna, first aid envelope, green flash on a lanyard, iso mask, swiss card, compass/whistle and camelback bladder. Usually in EDC2 (see below).

QUBOB- quick grab bug out bag - with extra flash, extra knife, ferrorod/flash/whistle/knife (FFWK?), larger first aid, small monocular, water bottle. Also kept in EDC2.

WOBOB- work bag- I have my briefcase with crank up cell charger, first aid and meds, spare eyeglasses, and some personal document copies (marriage license, passport copies, etc.).

EDC2- every day car- I have extra bottled water, bottle water carrier, maps, binoculars, chnage, paper towels, etc.

If I am lucky enough to make it home-

BOG- bug out gear in big old garage- 8 totes categorized by hygiene, kitchen, shelter, garden, first aid, pet, and 2 others I can't recall and it's too cold to go out and look.

BO/IF- bug out/in food- 6 cases of freeze dried and MRE's and canned food.

BORV- bug out motor home- full out RV with generator and water and heat and all, fishing gear (FIG?), with 2 large-------

BOP's- bug out packs or bags of plenty (my wife's term)- with 2 days food, alcohol stoves, bivy's, spare clothes (socks, undies), and all of the above EDC/BUBOB items in various forms.

BOT- bug out trailer- to haul all of this and the humans and pets, too, if still room.

How about some more acronyms!

#158875 - 12/18/08 05:41 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Jakam..when and if they hand out awards for Most Likely To Survive i'm sure you will get the gold--that is a very detailed and clever breakdown..

#158882 - 12/18/08 08:41 AM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Great start.

Could you add -

Shelter - something warmer to bed down in?
Some food
Why 2 knives of the same size - I'd carry a smaller knife and something with a bit of chopping ability

#158888 - 12/18/08 01:48 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: bigreddog]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Definitely should have:

- Shelter (besides the tarp) / blanket or small sleeping bag
- Food
- Some water to start with
- More assortment for flashlight, maybe a d cell Mag or
headlamp or both.

Would like to see everything in the miscellaneous box.

The candle holder mentioned above would be useful.

#158896 - 12/18/08 02:10 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Great kit. I might add something to keep warm in from AMK and their heetsheets/bivy line if weight and cost are a consideration. If not that, then I would lean toward the ECOTAT type setup and a blanket. ECOTAT takes care of several items in one package, but then all of your eggs are in the same basket. (really expensive basket)

Good Luck

Edited by Desperado (12/18/08 02:10 PM)

RIP OBG

#158905 - 12/18/08 02:38 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Desperado]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I agree that it's a great start. My comments:

* smaller bills
* some kind of blanket (see wool vs fleece thread)
* the tinder can probably be put into a ziplock bag to save space.
* a "few" lighters is probably enough
* you can probably get by with about half of the fishing tackle
* every folding water container I've ever tried has always leaked. Might want to test it out.
* what are you doing for food? I would add some vitamins and at least a few MRE's

#158907 - 12/18/08 02:44 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Desperado]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Great kit. I might add something to keep warm in from AMK and their heetsheets/bivy line if weight and cost are a consideration.

I definitely agree with that. A good compromise on space / weight.

#158927 - 12/18/08 04:50 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: Mike_H]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
I agree with most of the other comments, especially about the smaller bills, toilet paper, and excessive lighters.

Rain gear is essential unless your in a desert. Fleece or other insulated clothing would be my next priority, followed closely by a sleeping bag and pad. If you don't have a tent, then some sort of bivy to block wind and rain should go with it. A simple bivy sack and a fleece sleeping bag liner are fairly compact. A foam pad weighs and costs almost nothing but is bulky, and lightweight inflatable pad is almost as light and is about the size of a the fleece liner but is pricey. Either way do not underestimate the value of a pad- using a sleeping bag without one is like turning on the heat and opening a window.

As far as lighting I highly reccomend some sort of LED light with lithium batteries, and a headlamp. A Photon Freedom light with a dozen extra batteries is cheap($11 here ) and takes up a tiny amount of space(buy the batteries online). The clip it comes with is also very helpful.
If you want something a little more versatile, I just bought a Fenix P3D from batteryjuntion.com($60, +$1 each for CR123A batteries), its also very small and light and the output is varied from 12-215 lumens, with 65 hours on the lowest setting, and also has a strobe mode.
A micro headlamp such as this is also small and cheap, and can use the same batteries as the Photon if you have to(although the higher voltage of 4 CR2016s as opposed to 2 CR2032s may burn out the LED faster). Again, the batteries are cheap if you buy them online.

All 3 of these lights together weigh less than a minimag and take up about the same space, are far more reliable, and the spare batteries are light and small as well.

I would add a small bottle of salt to the cooking kit - It can make many wild plants far more tasty. It can also replace electrolytes if your without food for a while.

Lastly you may want to consider a small survival guide such as the SAS Survival Guide handbook. This book is tiny yet very information packed and well illustrated. If nothing else its a great read if your stuck somewhere or bored, and it can also inspire ways to get creative and improvise solutions in a wide variety of situations.

Otherwise a great kit. Sorry for the long post, I can't help promoting my favorite gadgets. By the way, I have a SOG seal pup and like it a lot, though admittidly I use it gently.

#158930 - 12/18/08 05:37 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: ]
m9key Offline

Loc: florida
jakam i concur i believe that it all falls under the outdoors stamp.....ets

#158951 - 12/18/08 07:02 PM Re: A look inside my BOB (pic heavy) [Re: m9key]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
A headlamp will be handy as will rain gear and blankets or a sleeping bag. A extra tarp to set up to make a sitting or standing area different than your sleeping are will make life easier in bad weather.
A extra knife will be a great backup in case you break or lose your main knives.
A second on the salt both for the cook kit and meat preservation.
Vitamins will help keep you healthier.
Stainless steel screws or nails are often handy as is some stainless steel wire.
A spare blade for the Sven Saw can be a life saver if you break or dull the original blade.
A SAk like a Victorinox Forester with a the saw and can opener can have many uses in a bug out situation

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.