Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#164233 - 01/21/09 07:27 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: Markok765]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Markok765
What do you guys think of the leatherman wave as a survival knife/tool kit for the times I go out in the wild, and as a general tool for everyday use?

I cannot get any of the survival knives such as the Doug Ritter knife, for various reasons, so this tool/knife is my only carry blade for the next few years.

How does this compare against general survival type knives, and would you carry it as a outdoors knife? The things I find useful on it is the file for fish hooks and such, and the mini saw blade that easily chops up small branches for a fire.

I presume that is because of local knife law's or cost?

Buy the top end Leatherman. If possible the S30V blade. If not get the 154CM. I have both. Forget the lower end 420HRC steel versions. Complete waste of money.

Pair it with a decent high carbon steel hatchet and a folding saw for wilderness use. A properly sharpened hatchet will do everything that a fixed blade knife will.

#164236 - 01/21/09 07:38 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
If possible the S30V blade.

I wish someone would make a drop-in S30V replacement blade for the Wave.

#164246 - 01/21/09 08:14 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: ZenEngineer]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Its all about the weight to me.

Doug's Mk1 weighs 3.82 oz. Doug's Mk3 weighs 5.7 oz. The LM Wave weighs 8.5 oz. My Charge Ti weighs just a bit less.

I find carrying the weight of the Charge TI on my belt or in-pocket uncomfortable. Doug's knives - even the fixed blade - weigh so much less.

The only LM tool that I might miss in the outdoors is the saw, but I pack a larger Silky Pocketboy folding saw in my pack (not on me).

I have never needed pliars when outdoors - except to remove fish hooks, but if surviving I wouldn't care about that - about killing the fish.

I carry separate small tweezers in my FAK.

Beyond that, I just don't have need for screwdrivers, file, can opener, etc ...

Ken

#164396 - 01/22/09 04:37 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: Markok765]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I think for the majority of applications it will do fine, especially if you can score a higher-end model with a better main blade, as has been said here. Aside from splitting wood, I can't think of too many things it wouldn't be able to do almost as well as a fixed-blade. For everyday carry, it will depending on what an average day entails for you. Unless you're an auto mechanic, it will probably handle most things...

#164432 - 01/22/09 05:48 PM Re: Leatherman Wave as survival knife/tool? [Re: airballrad]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Other wilderness multi-tool uses I've had:

Cinching and cutting wire ties.

Pulling nails.

Opening cans of food

cutting wire

trimming hair, toe and finger nails, whiskers

field dressing small game and fish

putting eyeglasses back together

pulling splinters out of fingers

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.