Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#163969 - 01/20/09 01:12 PM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Dan_McI]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Wow! But yeah, never trust anything. Treat every gun as if it is loaded. Ditto goes for munitions! ;-)

Glad that you didn't go *BOOM*!

#164062 - 01/21/09 02:02 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Mike_H]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Mike_H
Glad that you didn't go *BOOM*!

Probably the only time you're glad your birthday wasn't a blast.

#164077 - 01/21/09 02:59 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: ki4buc]
snoman Offline

Be careful, the BATFE isn't going to be happy with you possessing what might be considered by them to be an unregistered destructive device. How do you get something like this thing safely (and legally) deactivated?

#164105 - 01/21/09 05:55 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: snoman]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: snoman
Be careful, the BATFE isn't going to be happy with you possessing what might be considered by them to be an unregistered destructive device. How do you get something like this thing safely (and legally) deactivated?

I didn't even think about that at the time. You're right, of course - owning an explosive device is illegal. When I discovered the grenade was live my first thought was to get rid of the explosives. I'd done so many dangerous things already that carefully pouring and washing out the main charge seemed like a piece of cake. Then I disposed of the explosives as safely as I could think of. The dangerous stuff is all gone now and the grenade is absolutely empty. Just an inert piece of cast iron. So I'm not really a person of interest to anyone unless you're interested in some scrap iron. smile

In hindsight, I should've called the EOD and they'd probably end up destroying the thing. I don't think any EOD guy would even attempt to deactivate an old hand grenade. Not worth the trouble, I guess - not that I blame them. They just tend to take away the stuff and blow it up some place safe so that nobody gets hurt.

#164133 - 01/21/09 11:44 AM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Tom_L]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
The dangerous stuff is all gone now and the grenade is absolutely empty. Just an inert piece of cast iron. So I'm not really a person of interest to anyone unless you're interested in some scrap iron.

Maybe, maybe not. They may think even though it's empty, it can be refilled at a later date. It would be like me saying that Browning M2 .50 caliber I had shipped home in pieces is perfectly legal because it's 'not loaded.' There's a difference between 'empty' and 'deactivated,' milled in such a way to make it useless for it's intended purpose. Unfortunately, that's a decision that they will make, not you. Let's face it, the BATFE boys aren't exactly known for their sense of humor.

#164151 - 01/21/09 01:20 PM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: snoman]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

How do you mill an empty hand grenade?

Inert hand grenades can be bought legally. I have no explosives, no detonator, even the grenade itself is heavily corroded. I don't really see any similarity between an inert grenade (which in fact qualifies as an antique/collector's item) and a .50 caliber MG (supposing you mean the machine gun, not just an inert .50 cal. round).

I guess it could still be refilled if somebody wanted to. I think you could make a much more effective device with a stick of dynamite placed in a metal can filled with scrap iron, though.

I know collectors who own literally hundreds of inert rounds, grenades and shells. If the BATFA arrest me for that lousy empty Mills bomb I wonder what they're going to do to all those collectors?

#164154 - 01/21/09 01:32 PM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Tom_L]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I was thinking similar thoughts. I own a couple inert hand grenades. I'm sure with the right materials I could make them, no so inert.

Hey Blast, weekend project? wink Kidding... just kidding...

#164156 - 01/21/09 01:34 PM Re: A truly dumb thing to do on one's birthday [Re: Tom_L]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I wouldn't worry about it. The casing is just that, a casing, the same as a steel pipe would be. The detonator is dead and that cannot be re-manufactured unless you are a pro. If you are, the BATFE is already at your door anyway. My son has a demilled baseball grenade. No problems although I did not let him put it in his luggage on his last flight to see grandma.

Regards,
Bill

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.