Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#163817 - 01/19/09 07:38 AM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: benjammin]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A few articles from learned sources about the claims of a coming ice age. Reading the comments in each thread most objections seem to be made by people who haven't figured out the difference between weather and climate.

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2009/01/more_wackiness_from_wnd.php

http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/2008/11/the_1970s_ice_age_myth.php

http://scienceblogs.com/islandofdoubt/2009/01/the_quick_and_dirty_on_the_com.php#more

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2009/01/remember_when_right-wingers_di.php

If anyone wants to read a good summation of the massive amount of supporting evidence behind AGW and how it was determined you could do worse than starting with:

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2009/01/global_warming_the_blog_epic_0_2.php#c1325547

It is the first of at least six posts so follow the links on his site to find the others. Reading the whole thing is worth the trouble. If you don't understand AGW before you read it you will have a handle on it after. If you still don't think the claim is true then at least you know what your standing against.

#163839 - 01/19/09 02:17 PM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: Art_in_FL]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Regardless of what Pravda and all the so-called climate experts say, if you ever get the chance to watch The Day After Tomorrow you'll see just how fast we can all freeze to death wink NYC looks great all dressed in Ice; it floods and turns into an Ice Rink in less than a day. Great flick, very on topic, Hollywood at its Global Warming best. It can happen in days, buy wool . . . and a wet suit . . . and property in Costa Rica wink

The problem with Global Warming/Cooling/Climate Change in general is that both sides claim science backs them up. What's an English Major to believe (not that I was an English Major, I don't right good enough and besides, I'm from the U.S. wink ) Anyway, if the current administration wants to sign on to some global protocol and shut down U.S. industry for good . . . never mind, now I'm getting political and we all know Climate Change is pure science whistle cool

#163846 - 01/19/09 02:46 PM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: Russ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
It isn't so much about climate "change", even if it were sudden and catastrophic. No, no. I am among so many that believe the climate changes are a natural part of Earth's cycle of life, whether the climate is hospitable to us or not.

No, the true issue of our time is: How does it occurr (naturally) and can we do anything about it (no)?

Edited by Stretch (01/19/09 03:09 PM)

#163848 - 01/19/09 03:14 PM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: Stretch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I believe it's the height of arrogance to believe we are the cause or that we can do anything to stop it.

We roll with the punches Mother Nature throws and get off the mat when she lands a solid punch. We aren't going to beat her, all we can do is try to not get knocked out.

I'm all for cleaner, non-polluting, fuel efficient cars, but I'm not going to believe that it will have even a small impact on what the climate does as we orbit the sun and move through the galaxy.

#163868 - 01/19/09 06:32 PM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: Russ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Yes, me too. Cleaner, more efficiency, less "eye-sore" even, but for the benefit of plants and animals (includes humans), NOT because I think it would have any impact on an Earth cycle or weather pattern.

The "height of arrogance"..... well said and an apt description of.... well, some persons I suppose.

Edited by Stretch (01/19/09 06:34 PM)

#163870 - 01/19/09 06:41 PM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: Stretch]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/PageMill_Images/image277.gif
(context: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/Carboniferous_climate.html)

Notice that where we are today is the lower right hand corner of the graph.

'nuf said.

Are we gonna "evolve" or just sit around complaining about how the global climate was always perfect (for who or what?) in until 1900 and should never change?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#163872 - 01/19/09 07:09 PM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: thseng]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: thseng
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/PageMill_Images/image277.gif
(context: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/Carboniferous_climate.html)

Notice that where we are today is the lower right hand corner of the graph.

'nuf said.

Are we gonna "evolve" or just sit around complaining about how the global climate was always perfect (for who or what?) in until 1900 and should never change?

I find their chart very interesting.
Note how the drops in temperature and the variations of CO2 line up with the great die offs, and how the worse extinction events slightly lag where CO2 and temp decline drastically at the same time.

#163873 - 01/19/09 07:11 PM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: scafool]
Russ Offline
Geezer

It was all Bush's fault wink

cool

#163899 - 01/19/09 10:45 PM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: Russ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Bingo!

If only we'd have elected Gore instead...

Sarcasm mode: off

If there's one thing we should know by now, it is that this ecosystem as a whole has been changing since long before we got here, and will continue to change long after we are gone. The number of plants and animals that have come and gone on this planet are inumerable, and we had nothing to do with the vast majority of them.

I am reminded of a quote:

"A person is smart, people are stupid." Isn't that exactly how we all are?

#163927 - 01/20/09 02:09 AM Re: Forget About Global Warming, Get Ready For This... [Re: benjammin]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Whatever, even if he is right there is not a lot I can do about it.
Packing an extra pair of socks won't make much difference if the Sun winks out tomorrow, an umbrella won't stop the next great comet collision and a bottle of Tums will not prevent an unsettled stomach if the Earth turns a somersault and does the Peanut Butter Jelly Dance in 2012.

I am just a poor excuse for a man trying to stay alive in this poor excuse for a world.
So far we seem to be getting along, but in the end I expect time will do us in.
Most likely me first.
Till then I will just keep doing what I can with the little I have.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.