Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#163862 - 01/19/09 05:31 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Nishnabotna]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Here's a YouTube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMHHYl4kyaY

Pretty much answers the question....will it work under water.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#163863 - 01/19/09 05:32 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Nishnabotna]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Brigade Quartermasters sells the ResQme tool for 10.99+ shipping

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.ex...ore/level3c.tam

If you cut and paste this link it takes you to their website and the tool

#163877 - 01/19/09 07:42 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Nishnabotna]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
According to the video on the ResQMe site, they work under water.

#163882 - 01/19/09 07:51 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: LeeG]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
In my case the split ring is sround the metal support arm for the visor; I don't think it's going anyplace. I may have to dodge the garage door opener that's up there, tho'. grin

#163894 - 01/19/09 10:09 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: airballrad]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
My work rig doesn't have a ResQMe tool, it has another kind, in the shape of an orange two-headed hammer. The head is weighted, and there are heavy pointed pieces of metal on each end of the head. There is a seatbelt cutter in the handle. They recently moved it from the dash to the ceiling in the middle of the SUV, so anyone in the front or center seat can reach it, and from the back seat by reaching forward.

But this kind requires a swinging motion, and I wonder how it would work under water. The advantage that see in the ResQMe design is the forward-thrust motion, which would seem to take less room. Has anyone ever tried one of these under water?

Sue

#163900 - 01/19/09 10:48 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: yeti]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: yeti
The Gerber Hinderer Rescue is another option. Glass breaker, one-handed opener, seatbelt tool swings away, O2 wrench, and the tip of the blade is a prybar.

equipped.org review here:

http://www.equipped.org/hinderer_rescue.htm

pics here:

http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic1676.htm

BTW, the knife's profile is so flat, I can even carry this when wearing a suit.

I bought one for my son for his Fire Academy graduation after I read the ETS review. He has had an opportunity to use the punch and the web cutter. He said both worked flawlessly.

#163902 - 01/19/09 10:57 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: stevenpd]
sodak Offline
Addict

You might consider mounting the ResQMe to your seat frame up front, under your legs. A nice big carabiner can attach to the seat, and a metal cable with loops on both ends, then a smaller carabiner with the ResQMe on it. Should stay put in most crashes, and you can just reach down and retrieve it.

#163905 - 01/19/09 11:29 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: sodak]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Or up to reach it.
So long as it does not get trapped under the seat.

#163946 - 01/20/09 05:33 AM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada

[/quote]We noted there was a lot of blood and cuts and torn nails on his fingers and shirt, our chief told us that these were caused by the man clawing at the seatbelt in an attempt to free himself...

I recall that in our discussions afterwards, the same mention of having a seatbelt cutter available to him could of possibly saved the man's life. [/quote]

Wow, that's rough. I honestly don't know how you guys do that sort of work without going mad.

It's unusual that a farmer wouldn't have a knife in his pocket. Even if he did, he might not have been able to get to it, or might have been too incapacitated by the rollover to think clearly.

FWIW, if this farmer was like most farmers I know, he'd rather go with his boots on than in a hospital with tubes everywhere.

#163947 - 01/20/09 05:49 AM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: dougwalkabout]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Just a few points to consider:

Note that it is not always easy to reach the floor if you are belted in.
Your harness cutter needs to be reachable with either hand while in harness upside right or upside down.

This is one of the problems with knives.
Knives are usually in a pocket and often they are unreachable if a person is stuck in a harness or injured on one side. Being upside down makes it even worse.

This is also a problem with hanging tools on a keyring.
If the keys are in the ignition of a normal car or truck they are pretty much only in reach of your right hand.
If you are upside down and half resting against the roof they might be out of reach of your right hand too.
and nothing guarantees your right hand is working.

If You want to know where to locate a harness cutter for You then get into Your car, belt up and see where you can reach easy with both hands.
Then try to imagine being upside down and where you can still reach.
Some people get a more than one and put them more than one location.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.