Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163668 - 01/18/09 05:47 AM (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all day.
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
I live in the Maryland suburbs and was thinking about going downtown for the inauguration. Well, thinking about it long enough to rule it out -- better to watch on TV. I was wondering (if I were foolhardy enough to go) what I should take with me knowing I'd have 8-12 hours of walking and standing in 20 degree cold. The Washington Post had a front-section graphic last week suggesting:

woolen socks
hiking boots
thick pants
thermal coat
scarf
ear mitts
woolen hat
gloves
water in bottles (backpacks not allowed)
toilet paper (for the 5,000 porta-potties)
camera (no tripods or camera bags)
snacks (no coolers, food or beverages if you are close to the Capitol.)
hand warmers

What isn't allowed (besides the backpacks) are the obvious (firearms, etc,) and useful things like multitools.
Of course, where you'd put some of the extras when you aren't allowed to have backpacks or bags is a question. And the no-tripods rule must mean you're only allowed to take bad pictures.

In another article's comments, someone asked about those tripod, cane-like sitting stools, and the official inauguration committee responded with "those would be OK."

In the spirit of equipping to survive, what else should be carried to survive the cold for hours longer than you should be outside? This isn't BOB materiel per se, just what could make the day more comfortable.

#163671 - 01/18/09 06:22 AM Re: (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all day. [Re: digimark]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Long underwear, felt or insulated insoles for the boots and pants able to stop the wind. Most people are surprised at how much heat they lose through their legs and the soles of their feet.
You might even want a scrap of foam insulation to stand on.
Mitts are warmer than gloves, and a spare pair are light.
Toilet paper can be a pack or two of tissues (Kleenex?) instead of a roll.
A hoody under the jacket might be nice if you don't have a hood on your coat, but at least a sweater of some sort.
Water bottles can have cords tied around the neck and be carried over a shoulder or hung from a belt loop.

Will they allow a fanny pack?

edit: add a thermos of something hot to drink like tea, chocolate, coffee, soup or something like that.

Edited by scafool (01/18/09 07:37 AM)

#163673 - 01/18/09 07:38 AM Re: (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all day. [Re: scafool]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
cut insoles from a closed cell mat.

QJS

#163680 - 01/18/09 01:03 PM Re: (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all day. [Re: digimark]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Is it true they aren't allowing portapotties on the Mall?

A couple of really good friends, and my yellow nalgene with cup of cat litter in it. Like a camping trip.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#163696 - 01/18/09 02:56 PM Re: (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all day. [Re: ironraven]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
The seven Smithsonian Museums located on the Mall will be open on Inaugural day. Great places to warm up. The Castle (administrative offices near the Merry-Go-Round) is the best place to hit the bathrooms.

http://www.gosmithsonian.com/inauguration

There are unsightly porta-potties all over the place. And there have been porta-potties on the Mall for the past year, near the National Gallery of Art and Natural History Museum.

I live on Capitol Hill and have been layering up just to walk my dog. Single-digit temps Thursday and Friday nights. Last I checked, tomorrow night's low will be 19 degrees. So I'd be planning for temps in the 20s. Here's what I'd be wearing on Tuesday (in fact I will be walking my dog around the Capitol):

Parka w/hood + lots of pockets
Fleece hat-neck gaiter-ear warmers, 1/2 face mask (which also warms the neck and can be rolled down to not look alarming to security)
Ski gloves
Smartwool ski socks
boots
long underwear
smartwool top + fleece-lined 1/4 zip

chemical hand warmers

Kleenex mini-packets (useful for tp)

The crowds will probably be smaller than forecast in part because of all the hysterical press reports on mass crowds.

#163697 - 01/18/09 03:12 PM Re: (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all day. [Re: Dagny]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
In addition to chemical hand warmers, you can get chemical toe warmers, that I sometimes use when skiing. For hunting, and inauguration watching, you might want to have the footbed warmers. They fit the entire insole of your boots, and stay warm for 8-10 hours.

- Ron

#163721 - 01/18/09 06:45 PM Re: (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all [Re: Be_Prepared]
duckear Offline
Addict

Anyone dumb enough to voluntarily put themselves in that situation deserves whatever comes his way. Just kidding....kind of.....

I can't imagine a worse place to be than in DC, with their draconian 'safety' laws and with zillions of others people. Add in the inauguration circus....oh my.

The older I get, the more I realize that if there is a crowd, I am in the wrong place. wink

While I love what there is to SEE in DC, I HATE being there with a passion.

Edited by duckear (01/18/09 06:45 PM)

#163775 - 01/19/09 12:57 AM Re: (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all [Re: duckear]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I hear there will be 2 million people there for the inauguration. That's too big a crowd for me. Any number of things could happen.

Take some binoculars, or even a telescope.

#163782 - 01/19/09 01:20 AM Re: (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all day. [Re: digimark]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sunscreen, lipbalm, more hand warmers, wind proof blanket....

#163818 - 01/19/09 07:42 AM Re: (DC) Inauguration prep - standing in cold all day. [Re: TeacherRO]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

slip a thin plastic sandwich bag over your toes between pairs of socks and your feet will be warmer. handy for those who have to stand in the cold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.