Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#163859 - 01/19/09 04:41 PM Re: Trekking poles [Re: ]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

On the flex issue, are you holding the poles correctly? Look at the picture on this site.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles2.htm#Features

The weight should be held entirely by the strap, in fact you should be able to open your hand while supporting all your weight. The only reason you really need grip the pole is to lift it up off the ground. If you grip the handle too tightly (as in trying to use it like a staff to hold your weight), it puts side loads on the poles which cause them to flex, not to mention your hand will get tired and sweaty. If you let your weight hang off the strap, all the weight goes straight down the poles with no flexing.

Also, I have found the rubber tips aren't very useful outdoors in most terrain. Maybe on dry asphalt or clean, dry rocks, but any water or dirt will cause them to slip. The carbide tips give much better traction on most trails, especially ones with wet rocks or sand covered rocks.

Edited by ducktapeguy (01/20/09 06:32 AM)
Edit Reason: edit to add better link

#163860 - 01/19/09 05:05 PM Re: Trekking poles [Re: ducktapeguy]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
My trekking pole is a Black Diamond as well. The locks have held up quite well considering how I abuse them. Note that it is possible to crack the plastic by tightening the screw way too much.

When going downhill, I think you have to grip the handle firmly to get any real benefit. At least that's been my experience.

I know cross-country ski poles are designed so the strap takes most of the force, but they are very long and so push you from behind.

When walking in rough terrain I need to brace myself from a full range of angles.

For a walking pole, I remove the strap entirely. I think it's a bloody nuisance, but that's just me.

I also remove the rubber/urethane tip when walking. It's great for the car and for shipping the pole in luggage. The carbide tips can be sharpened with a diamond file or a small grinder like a Dremel.

#163866 - 01/19/09 05:56 PM Re: Trekking poles [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
If you like to use the rubber feet, be sure and carry spares.

I've left several in various mudholes around the Colorado mountains when they get sucked off the end of my Tracks staff. And for wear-thru.

For my pole I've found chair leg tips of the proper inner diameter work fine. Buy 'em by the bag :-)

Originally Posted By: Sherpadog

There was only one issue with the poles. This model does not come with the the rubber feet that you can put on the ends. The sales person gave us the wrong rubber feet and of course we did not try them on until yesterday and they were too big. A generous wrap of electrical tape fixed this and they rubber feet held fine for the duration. Needless to say, we will be getting the proper rubber feet before our next outing...

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.