The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#163699 - 01/18/09 03:27 PM Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi. After reading some stuff from Professor Popsicle (thanks Andrew_S, very interesting):

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/02/07/giesbrecht-cars.html

Where do you find a keychain size center punch / seatbelt cutter like this? Have you ever tried them?

Thanks
Frankie

#163700 - 01/18/09 03:34 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Frankie]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Okay, I managed to read the text on the picture. It's a ResQMe tool:

Thanks anyway. Have you ever tried it?

#163701 - 01/18/09 03:34 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Frankie]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
http://www.resqme.com/

I have not personally tried them, so I cannot give a review.

#163702 - 01/18/09 03:38 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Frankie]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
It's called a Res-Q-Me I have one in my truck and one in the suv. I tried the seat belt cutter and it works as advertised, I also tried the window punch and it too worked as advertised. You can purchase them on EBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Res-Q-Me-Firefighter...p3286.m20.l1116

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#163703 - 01/18/09 03:46 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Frankie]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I have one of these:
SwissTech 5-in-1 Rescue Tool

I haven't used it to escape, or rescue anyone, but I have used it to put stars in a plastic CD case; looks like it would shatter auto glass. I haven't messed with the cutter because I don't want to dull it. I have the split ring attached to my sun visor. It is pretty secure, but comes off (freeing the seatbelt blade) with a good tug.

I think it was $15 or 20 at BJs. I have seen them in Walmart and Target as well.

#163704 - 01/18/09 03:46 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Would it work in the water?

#163705 - 01/18/09 03:57 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Frankie]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My wife & I each carry one on our vehicle keychains. I've been thinking about putting on on my tractor keychain - just in case it flips and I want to "undo" my seatbelt while hanging.

I would think it will work in water just fine, though the spring and release mechanism of the punch might corrode if immersed in water (I would think it's enclosed components wouldn't dry once wet).

Ken

#163726 - 01/18/09 07:25 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: KenK]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I tried the resqme on some scrap cars during training at the firedepartment. The center-punch works well, but don't be too gentle on it. The first time we tried it, we gentle put it on the glass and slowly pushed it against the glass. The punch was activated, but nothing happend. The other attemts whith a short swinging motion turned the glasses in to pieces, easily.

Seatbelt cutter works well to, but do not use it on a 90 degree angle. In a 90 degree angle it refuced to cut the seatbelt. The way the webbing is made, makes it really hard to cut at that angle. It did work like a charm on a 45 degree.

I wear mine on mine belt, on the d ring of mine flashlight holster. Easier to access and mine keychain was already kind of full. I do recommend a lifehammer installed in cars, since they are bigger, has no springs system to fail, easier to spot and harder to loose. I can easily imagine the resqme to be lost/dropped, due to it's small size. The resqme is handy when you don't own a car, like me. Can't put a lifehammer in every car i borrow or rent...

Edited by PC2K (01/18/09 07:29 PM)

#163729 - 01/18/09 07:48 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: KenK]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: KenK
My wife & I each carry one on our vehicle keychains. I've been thinking about putting on on my tractor keychain - just in case it flips and I want to "undo" my seatbelt while hanging.

Your post hit a nerve for me...I'll leave it that, however I will relay a bit of an incident that I was involved in that is eerily similar to your post.

The very last call I went on when I was a firefighter was this exact scenario. A farmer flipped his tractor over the side of a dirt path on his property.. The ROPS on the tractor initially saved his life but he was not able to get the seatbelt undone and was left hanging upside down. His daughter found him about almost 2 hours later and we were dispatched, however it was too late to save him despite our best attempts. We noted there was a lot of blood and cuts and torn nails on his fingers and shirt, our chief told us that these were caused by the man clawing at the seatbelt in an attempt to free himself...

I recall that in our discussions afterwards, the same mention of having a seatbelt cutter available to him could of possibly saved the man's life.

#163741 - 01/18/09 09:38 PM Re: Center punch and blade to cut seatbelt [Re: Frankie]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have never seen one with the window punch.
I have seen people, usually equipment operators, with snip-its on key chains or stuck by the magnet to something where they can reach it easily.

These are snip-its
http://www.tangiblesltd.com/snippit.htm

these are super snip-its
http://www.tangiblesltd.com/supsnippit.htm

Quite a few of the knife makers are including window punches on the end of knife handles now too.

Edited by scafool (01/18/09 09:48 PM)
Edit Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.