Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#163624 - 01/17/09 10:54 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Hookpunch]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I dislike the clutch purely because the very end of the pliers have no ridges making it more difficult to grip something. Otherwise it's a decent little thing for the size.

#163626 - 01/17/09 11:04 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Nishnabotna]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Not that you need more things, but Spyderco makes their Byrd-line multitool, and I believe Gerber has the Guppy (is that correct?)

I got a LM Kick/Micra over Xmas. Forgot to mention that I had a Squirt, which is virtually identical, but with pliers instead of the scissors. I really like the Micra, it's in my lab coat at the hospital. Less intrusive than a real knife, the scissors get used a lot and work well so far. BTW, I have the SOG version of the Micra, and their scissors went dull quick and hard to resharpen. It, and the Squirt, are now shelf queens, sitting in my car's glovebox.

#163627 - 01/17/09 11:04 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I am a huge fan of the Swiss Tool Spirit by Victronioxonly 3.5" long info can be found HERE

#163629 - 01/17/09 11:30 PM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Tom_L]
RogerC Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado
For a simple knife, I have always liked my Kabar Dozier Folding Clip Point . 3 inch blade, very slim in the pocket because the handle is zytel only (it is for cutting, definitely not for prying). AUS8 stainless blade. I picked it up for $20 online and think it is excellent for the money.

#163632 - 01/18/09 12:17 AM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: ]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
I love leatherman's knives too, unfortunately blade launcher makes them illegal to carry here in michigan which severely limits my choices.

Edited by Stoney (01/18/09 12:23 AM)

#163634 - 01/18/09 12:39 AM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Stoney]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
For a simple pocket knife I carry a Gerber L.S.T. LST Fine Edge
( carry the LST 400 )

#163636 - 01/18/09 12:54 AM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Tom_L]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Tom,
Look into the SOG Twitch II. I have had one since they first came out. Very nice and holds an edge well. Very sturdy, and with the clip removed, you won't even notice it in your pocket. I also have one in my DR PSP's and it fits great. I would add a link, but I am on my iPhone and it's a pain.

RIP OBG

#163638 - 01/18/09 01:26 AM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Desperado]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Tom,
Look into the SOG Twitch II. I have had one since they first came out. Very nice and holds an edge well. Very sturdy, and with the clip removed, you won't even notice it in your pocket. I also have one in my DR PSP's and it fits great. I would add a link, but I am on my iPhone and it's a pain.

Looks like they would work too. I like the looks of the Twitch II myself. They all appear to be AUS 8.

Twitch I

http://sogknives.com/store/TWI-7.html

Twitch II

http://sogknives.com/store/TWI-8.html

#163641 - 01/18/09 01:51 AM A. G. Russell "Woodswalker" [Re: Tom_L]
Hornfrog Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I love multi-tools (favorite is the Wave) and I always carry a small lockback in my pocket. But recently I got a A. G. Russell "Woodswalker."
[http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=AGPRS] It is a fixed blade knife, the blade 2 3/8" long with a 3 1/2" handle. You can get a neck sheath if you wish but I got the all cowhide leather wallet shaped sheath that slips into your back jeans pocket with only about an inch of the butt end of the handle protruding. This allows for very discreet carry, yet you have a fixed blade knife that no one would think is intimidating. Certainly not to be characterized as a military type or spec ops kind of thing. It is a very small and slender tool, elegant in a way, of very fine metal and very sharp and easy to keep sharp. It is just right for cleaning small game & pan fish, peeling an apple, cutting all smallish cordage, etc. It would be a great paring knife. Very handy. For casual roaming and adventuring it is ideal for most small cutting jobs. And the price is right at $19.95. I think I am going to buy 3 or 4 more of the knives because they are only $9.95 a piece w/o the sheath. I have a large camp knife, a Becker Brute, that takes care of most bigger tasks IF I want to haul it along. But really, most cutting tasks are small and the little Woodswalker is just right for those.

#163661 - 01/18/09 05:11 AM Re: Small folder/multitool [Re: Russ]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Russ
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
. . .If you want something smaller, but probably totally ineffectual for anything serious, then I would suggest the Leatherman Squirt P4. . . .
Interesting in that I agree with your assessment of the P4, however, I've done serious things with my Squirt E4. The wire strippers work quite well and the narrower tip is useful for working small wires. I wish they put the wire stripper pliers on their full size Leatherman tools.

I agree completely on the E4. It is a very handy tool in a very small package. Leatherman really needs to do a Juice or Wave version of this tool. I have used my E4 countless times at work and around the house. I am not fond of the knife on the E4 so I usually end up carrying something along with it. The benchmade benchmite is pretty nice for a very small package. I haven't used one but a friend swears by the Kabar Doziers. The are a bit bigger but probably a bit easier to manage than the benchmite.

- Eric

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.