Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#163197 - 01/15/09 01:17 AM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: Susan]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Personally, my preference is to camp out in the backyard for the very reasons you cited (availability of stuff, security, etc.)

Now convincing my DW and DD to sleep in the backyard in the big family tent is another story altogether.

#163213 - 01/15/09 03:27 AM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh

That night I watched two guys climb her substantial fence and approach the dark house with big screwdrivers.I slippped up behind and asked if I could help them.
'Si, we are looking for work, our freeend.' I set them to work stacking the collpased bricks all night at gunpoint. Come the morning, I gave them 15 seconds to clear her huge front yard and the fence.

Nice...did they ever come back looking for more work? !!

#163311 - 01/15/09 08:22 PM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh

I set them to work stacking the collpased bricks all night at gunpoint. Come the morning, I gave them 15 seconds to clear her huge front yard and the fence.

Careful Chris, you're basically admitting to a felony here. Not that they'd be pressing charges, lol.

#163316 - 01/15/09 08:45 PM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: samhain]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I'm lucky in that my wife and I camp pretty much year round, so the patio is not a problem. (The patio is our only camping space.)

#163470 - 01/16/09 07:30 PM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I set them to work stacking the collpased bricks all night at gunpoint..."

While not exactly PC (or legal), great roadside justice!!!

#163548 - 01/17/09 06:01 AM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: adam2]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: adam2
In areas prone to earthqaukes and wildfires, consider building a fire and qauke resistant storage shed/gargage on your land.
If your house is uninhabitable, it might be possible to live short term in this structure, especialy if it could be extended by tents or awnings.
Re-inforced concrete construction should withstand all but the very worst events.
A number of firms offer to build concrete tornado shelters, such would also appear to be fire and qauke resistant and might be worth considering even in areas with little tornado risk.

If flooding is the main risk, consider not only a two storey house, but remember to keep important supplies and equipment upstairs.

This is the approach I have used. I built a small storage shed, just big enough for two adults to sleep comfortably in, and stand up comfortably with a couple feet over head. When I was building it, the neighbors asked if I was building an ark, it looked so strong. They said if it flooded, I could just get in and float away. It's post and beam style construction with 4" X 6" doug fir studs, all joined with galvanized steel plate fastenings and screwed, not nailed, together. It was so much fun to build, I built two of them. The outside is painted half-inch plywood siding completely covered with salvaged license plates screwed on shingle style to shed rain, reflect sunlight to keep the shed cool, and to help protect the exterior from the elements.

#163570 - 01/17/09 04:18 PM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: Susan]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
an option i would exercise - if at all possible - would be to have a large metal shipping container - like used on container cargo ships - dropped on the property. possessions could be stored inside and secured onsite.

they come in various sizes, depending on your needs.

i'm sure you have someone in the area who can supply you one.

from experience, the 'pods' are $$$$. old, beater containers are less pretty and less $$, but just as secure. supply your own lock.

Edited by bsmith (01/17/09 04:19 PM)

#163590 - 01/17/09 06:05 PM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: bsmith]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That's an idea worth considering since the "pods" rent for $125 per month. They are made of wood and fiberglass with a fiberglass door. "PODS" measure 8'x8'x20.

A small temporary "efficency apartment" could established in it with little or no problem. As someone else mentioned earlier, Tarps could be used to expand the working areas around the pods.

The steel shipping containers are sold for:
8'x8'x20' = start around $1200 per unit
8'x8'x40' = start around $2000 per unit

I have no idea what the delivery fee would be but it wouldn't be exactly cheap.

#163598 - 01/17/09 08:36 PM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: wildman800]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
There is a company in Calgary that sells containers for less than scrap price.
They have tried cutting the sides out and selling them as chip stands even.
The problem for scrap yards with containers is they cost too much to cut or crush as scrap, are too big for garden sheds and too heavy for people to drag around.
Ranchers here buy them just to store farm machinery in.

If you shop around a bit you should be able to find them a lot cheaper.

Edited by scafool (01/17/09 09:50 PM)

#163623 - 01/17/09 10:50 PM Re: Staying home after the house goes down [Re: bsmith]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
i just remembered that i forgot.

i meant to say to rent - not necessarily purchase - one of these.

have it dropped off, use as above, then call to have picked up.

cheaper than 'pods' to rent.

found it:

in 2006 i rented an 8' x 8' x 12' for two months @ $65/mon that included drop off and pick up fees.

wasn't pretty, but -0- graffiti.

secure, it was!

Edited by bsmith (01/18/09 12:09 AM)
Edit Reason: found data

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.