Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#163544 - 01/17/09 05:25 AM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: scafool]
LED Offline
Veteran

In. Being a refugee doesn't look like fun. However you can't choose your crisis and when its time to go, its time to go.

#163551 - 01/17/09 11:19 AM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: ]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
My planned response to what? grin

The situation will dictate the strategy. Approaching the issue any other way (IMO) is fatally flawed.

In the end each individual is going to have to make a (hopefully enlightened) decision that fits their particular scenario. The right decision for me might not be the same as my neighbor.

#163579 - 01/17/09 05:06 PM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: 7point82]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: 7point82

The situation will dictate the strategy. Approaching the issue any other way (IMO) is fatally flawed.

In the end each individual is going to have to make a (hopefully enlightened) decision that fits their particular scenario. The right decision for me might not be the same as my neighbor.

Yes, and when people start preparing for an event they tend to give one option preference and prepare for that option much more than other options.
Sometimes it is to the point where they actually lose the secondary option.
One of the results might be that they are be totally stocked to survive a year in their home but not have any real plans or equipment to evacuate if they had to, or they might be the exact opposite.
Hopefully most of us have a sense of balance and keep more than one option open.

Edited by scafool (01/18/09 02:01 AM)
Edit Reason: small correction

#163591 - 01/17/09 07:17 PM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
you'd need to pick up an inflatable mattress

I'll sleep in the mud and snow if I have to. It is nice, dry, warm dirt I don't like. *laughs* It is one of those things were I'll do, but usually grumble about. Which is why I have at least a ground sheet to put under me. Worst part is when an ant tries to investigate my nostrils...

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#163640 - 01/18/09 01:44 AM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: 7point82]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Originally Posted By: 7point82

I whole heartedly agree! Assess the situation before you do anything. I am not going to run out of my house if it is safer to stay in it. But when staying put creates more of a liability, then you leave. Each persons' desision will be different based on their assessment. Rantor and I as well as our loved ones have a plan. And we have a back up plan as well as a back up plan for our back up plan. If all those fail or are unfeasable, we have both been in emergency services long enough that we can think and run at the same time (works running toward or away from situations). I say assess - assess - assess then continue to assess through out the crisis / situation. Rememeber that the only thing constnat is change.

#163712 - 01/18/09 04:38 PM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: scafool]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Bugging in is much easier. You don't have to carry stuff.

When bugging out you have to decide where to go. I guess if you have two homes, then in a crisis you might prefer to be in the other one. If I'm at work I'll probably want to go home, which is a 3-mile walk.

If I'm at home, then I'll only want to relocate if I have no choice, and then I'd hopefully have more information. A lot depends on how many other people are affected. A tornado here is liable to affect fewer than 50 houses, so I can just move into a hotel if mine is one of them. With a national disaster, anywhere I could reach would already be full of other refugees. Britain is a small country; it's not like America or Europe where it seems you have unlimited land you can walk to.

Leaving this island by boat, plane or chunnel would have to be done well in advance to avoid the crowds.

#163718 - 01/18/09 05:17 PM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: scafool]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Too vague of a question and too many variables / scenarios to warrant a detailed response...but bugging in is a generic answer for me.

#163727 - 01/18/09 07:26 PM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
For the majority of situations, in is preferably planned. On those instances where leaving would be better, I have a few places here and there to head to that are reasonably well equipped, and enough to keep me reasonably secure till I can get there, more or less.

No plan is foolproof, which is why the best thing I can do is gather intelligence and have the right mindset.

#163745 - 01/18/09 09:54 PM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: benjammin]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Preferably in...I dont really have a BOL (nothing beyond 30 miles away if I need to G.O.O.D) to go to and would most likely have to set up camp wherever I could, which would be an absolute last resort. I also have a father in poor health and my 95 year-old grandfather that I couldn't leave behind.

Edited by el_diabl0 (01/18/09 09:54 PM)

#163822 - 01/19/09 10:23 AM Re: Bug in or bug out? [Re: el_diabl0]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Depends on the situation. Plan to be ready to do both. Personally I'd prefer to bug in as I have more supplies than I can easily take with me and I know the area very will.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.