Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#163491 - 01/16/09 10:25 PM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: scafool]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I carry 1 full-size spare on the back of the Jeep, a patch kit, a plug kit, and air compressor, valve core tool, and a can of fix-a-flat. I also have a can of ether that can be used to seat a bead or I can use a ratchet strap to do it also.

Even if I paid for them, AAA doesn't go where I do. When the pavement stops, you're on your own.

#163493 - 01/16/09 10:29 PM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I felt bad for the two truck driver one day when we had to call AAA on a sunday morning and woke him up out of bed. Now imaging your taking the kids to a relatives house Christmas day and have to call AAA.

#163501 - 01/16/09 10:39 PM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: scafool]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You could not be more correct! If you use it, replace it. More than once I started a shift by inspecting my vehicle, found no flares, fire extinguisher empty, spare flat, first aid kit open and partially empty, cigar butt down the shotgun barrel, a round in the chamber of the shotgun, dope or a weapon under the back seat, bald tire, no gas, etc etc etc. So I repeat, if you use it, replace it. And if you have to share equipment with anyone else, check it before you use it...

#163504 - 01/16/09 11:01 PM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
A little trick that I learned about replacing expendables was to leave the wrapper/can/bottle/whatever somewhere visible until it's replaced. For example, I filled up the washer fluid in the car the other day during the ice storm, and used up the bottle from the back of the truck. I put the empty plastic bottle on the floor on the passenger side of the truck, rather than throwing it out at the rest stop trash can. When I got home, I grabbed a fresh one from the garage, and put it back in the truck. It's hard to forget, because if my wife gets in the truck, the first thing she'll notice is the empty washer fluid bottle at her feet!

FAK's are notorious for having stuff used and not replaced. To a certain extent, you expect that. I know we have a checklist on all of ours, and a little golf pencil in the kit. If you use something, put a tick mark next to it. Of course, someone has to check the list on a regular schedule. (The missing link!)

At work, I know that we have a professional service that comes and replaces fire extinguishers with recharged ones, puts new batteries in the emergency lighting, and services the FAK's. I think those FAK's are designed with a significant excess supply of commonly used items, so I think the annual check is all they do, unless something bad happens around the place during the year.

- Ron

#163527 - 01/17/09 02:33 AM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: Be_Prepared]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Have pulled out more than one spare tire that had little or no air in it, none of the spares were mine. For my own i try to check every six months or so, which reminds me that i am due. Even had a flat tire the other day on the car with no spare, and it comes from the factory with no spare tire. Luckily i was at home so i just changed cars, fixed it later when i got back from work. All of the vehicles have a bottle of slime with a small air compressor and i also carry an industrial grade plug kit and that is one of the things i move to the vehicle i am driving that day.

#163530 - 01/17/09 02:59 AM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: ]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Ingenuity and caring how it looks are all that'll keep you from carrying a full-size spare, lol. This is a guy on an offroading board I'm a member of and his FULL-SIZE spare.

Edited by 2005RedTJ (01/17/09 03:00 AM)

#163532 - 01/17/09 03:03 AM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: ]
timo Offline

Good Topic!

I suggest that if you are going to carry a tire plug kit, practice with it.
Most of those kits are pretty cheap and basic and the handle design can make or break the actual usability of the kit.
I had to use the cheapo kit I kept in my car once and it was significantly more difficult than I was expecting.
The plug did the job but had I known how much exertion was going to be required I would have sprung for a better quality kit in the first place. It was a lot harder than I was expecting and I've changed my own motorcycle tires before. I got it done and the plug worked fine but it was a good learning experience.

Those guys in tire shops make it look much easier than it is.
Something to consider if we're expecting our significant others to attempt plugging.

Along those lines, does anyone have a recommendation for a top quality plug kit that they actually HAVE EXPERIENCE with?

#163534 - 01/17/09 03:15 AM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: timo]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: timo
Along those lines, does anyone have a recommendation for a top quality plug kit that they actually HAVE EXPERIENCE with?

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/offroad.htm

These are really nice. A friend of mine has this set. This is the offroad kit, they also make a car/light truck kit. Mine is the Walmart el cheapo, but I've gotten pretty good with it.

I've plugged a tire in less than ten minutes, counting airing it back up, without removing the tire or even jacking it up. (I only run the tires at 10 PSI when I'm in the woods).

Edited by 2005RedTJ (01/17/09 03:32 PM)

#163552 - 01/17/09 12:36 PM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: timo]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a cheap kit from one of the automotive stores and it worked fine and wasn't difficult at all. My truck came with tires that were labeled all terrain but it seemed that anything could poke through them so I ended up plugging some holes.

#163553 - 01/17/09 01:18 PM Re: Do you have a spare flat tire in your car? [Re: ]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Tragically my Corolla has a piddly little spare tire and no room to fit a full size tire.

Have you beat Izzy, my car that has a spare is a Mazda Miata. Little car, itty bitty spare. It doesn't have the smallest trunk that i have ever seen but it ranks right up there. The hardship of driving cool cars is very little trunk space.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.