Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#163483 - 01/16/09 09:44 PM Re: Simply put - just pays to be prepared... [Re: Tjin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The next few times you're caught behind the RR crossing arms, entertain yourself by reading the contents of the tank cars: Ammonia, ammonium hydrate, sulfuric acid, propane, chlorine, etc. I don't think they label the radioactive waste, but they do send armed guards with it.

That said, it's still the safest way to transport the stuff. Road tankers are still subject to the driving techniques of twits having trouble managing both their latte's and cell phones.

Sue

#163500 - 01/16/09 10:38 PM Re: Simply put - just pays to be prepared... [Re: Susan]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Hmmm, the radioactive waste is the safe one.
You should see the containers they ship it in.

The one that got me was the fact they can ship molten metal or explosives on public roads in heavy traffic with nothing but a placard on the truck.

It was only about 15 or 20 years ago cities started designating hazardous material routes. Before that trucks and trains would regularly haul the most dangerous things imaginable through some of the most densely populated areas on the map.

#163502 - 01/16/09 10:48 PM Re: Simply put - just pays to be prepared... [Re: scafool]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You should see where some of the Class A explosive stopping location are...

#163506 - 01/16/09 11:11 PM Re: Simply put - just pays to be prepared... [Re: scafool]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: scafool
It was only about 15 or 20 years ago cities started designating hazardous material routes. Before that trucks and trains would regularly haul the most dangerous things imaginable through some of the most densely populated areas on the map.

On the odd occasion a hazardous cargo will miss their designated route. One of my alma maters administers this place, which meant that more than a fair amount of explosive material got trucked in. The hazardous material route reached well out away from town and it was on occasion a pleasant evening's run.

One night I was walking back from my classroom building across one of the gated streets - Tech is a "gated campus," for whatever reason gates were closed across some roads at night - and there was a semi parked up next to the gate with absolutely no way to turn around. Being a helpful sort of chap, I walked over to see if I could make a phone call for the driver to get the gate unlocked. Lo and behold, the trailer had "explosive" placards all over it, with my house (and a lot of other folks') a mere hundred meters away.

And the driver was just standing there, smoking a cigarette. Sometimes you just gotta laugh.

#163511 - 01/17/09 12:10 AM Re: Simply put - just pays to be prepared... [Re: yelp]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka

#163682 - 01/18/09 01:46 PM Re: Simply put - just pays to be prepared... [Re: Susan]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Susan
The next few times you're caught behind the RR crossing arms, entertain yourself by reading the contents of the tank cars: Ammonia, ammonium hydrate, sulfuric acid, propane, chlorine, etc. I don't think they label the radioactive waste, but they do send armed guards with it.
Sue

For a report in one of my EM classes, I purchased the "Emergency Responder's Guide to Railroad Incidents" by Greg. A. Rhoads. An interesting read.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.