The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1625 - 09/13/01 02:44 PM Lessons Learned
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
It is ironic that urban survival section just started days before this nation's worst tragedy. One distinction I'd hope the forum makes in this new direction is that it focus upon "survival in an urban environment" vs. "Survivalists." As has been mentioned in the past, there are other sites better suited for the latter’s topic.<br><br>I work in a tall building downtown Chicago. It's about a half-mile south of the Hancock Center and a mile north of the Sears Tower. The Aon building, formally the Standard Oil Building is about a half-mile east and little south of me. While I doubt that my building would have been a viable target for a terrorist attack, such as Tuesday's, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. <br><br>There are several lessons I have learned as a result of Tuesday's event.<br><br>While our building was not closed, most folks left for home anyway. I filled up my water bottle and grabbed a small juice bottle from a conference room where a scheduled meeting never took place. I put both in my backpack and kept it nearby in case I had to "bug out" in a hurry.<br><br>I have a few other items in my backpack, such as spare meds and small penknife (key chain type). I also have screwdriver with interchangeable tips , spare keys and glasses (I wear contacts). I also keep my key ring and train pass in there. Finally, there are misc. work related items (mail, pens, paper, etc.)<br><br>Tuesday I realized how vulnerable I am. I was not in any danger, but we never know how or when we may be put into a situation of danger, and I am not properly prepared.<br><br>I am going to prepare a small kit for storage here at work. In an emergency situation, I'll swap out my laptop for the emergency kit (easy choice <s>). So I'm thinking of getting a plastic storage box, like a Plano fish tackle box that’s roughly the same size and shape. That way it will fit into the backpack, which is designed for laptops, in the same compartment.<br><br>I usually fill up my water bottle from the fountain (bubbler for those in WI.) right before I leave so it's nice and cold. I will now leave it full at all times. Then I will water my plants at the end of the day and refill it so it's nice and cold for the train ride home.<br><br>Among the items in the kit I will include several paper respirator masks. The images of folks fleeing the WTC and of the rescue crews gasping from the dust and smoke are enough to convince me that it's a necessity. (BTW, which organization in NYC had the foresight to stock thousands of them, available within minutes of the tragedy?). I think a pair of eye goggles are also in order.<br><br>I am also reconsidering getting a cell phone. My wife has one but I don't since I'm usually near a phone all day long. At home I grab her's when needed. But I now see it as a real valuable communication device in an emergency.<br><br>A whistle, Photon light, and candy bars will also see their way in the kit or on my person. I'm going to scan through the list of survival kit items to see what makes sense for this type of kit. Some items I will not keep in the plastic container as they should be in the pack or on my person at all times, like the photon and the whistle.<br><br>As a subset kit, I'm also going to give some though to what I should have that's more portable. It's quite conceivable that I may be in a meeting on a different floor than my kit and may have to evacuate in an emergency, such as a fire. I am not going to make my way back to my office in such a circumstance, I am going to exit the building. So I have my pockets to consider and my little leather case I carry my Palm in, that's usually with me at every meeting. Maybe it's time to start a new fashion trend, a smart looking leather fanny pack for business dress!<br><br>Anyway, sorry for the long message. I'll stop now and go fill up my water bottle.<br><br><br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1626 - 09/13/01 04:56 PM Re: Lessons Learned
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been thinking about the same thing today. I came up with a very similar list of items to keep handy at work. I fleshed out my list with a couple of your suggestions and I also had a small am/fm radio on my list. Could be helpful to receive news and to be aware of the overall situation so you are making the right decisions. They make some really tiny ones now that you just wouldn't believe, so not much weight penalty for that item.<br><br>The cell phone is always a good idea. It's use in wilderness situations has also been touted. You said that you were considering getting another phone for the purpose, and if you are like me, the cost of the additional monthly service contract is always a consideration. We don't wan't to waste any money that we could be spending hoarding MREs and Rambo knives ;-) Just to remind everybody about the little-known fact about cell phones: they can be used for emergency purposes even after the service contract has been cancelled. You do not need to have an "activated" cell phone to give you the extra margin of safety you may be looking for. Many people may even have an old cell phone laying around the house that can be used in this way and not know it. Any "deactivated" cell phone can be used to dial 911 for free and in most, if not all areas, it can also be used to place a call to any other number if the call is billed collect or to a calling card number or credit card number (at a pretty high rate, like maybe $1/minute plus something like a $1-$2 connection charge). <br><br>

#1627 - 09/13/01 06:33 PM Re: Lessons Learned
ToddG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA
You may want to add a small pry bar. I lived in San Francisco for a few years and was convinced of the usefulness of that item for convincing quake bent doors and gates to open. I immagine explosion bent doors could also be a problem. I found a lightweight titanium pry bar (15in) a few years ago that now lives in the day pack I carry to work. If anyone is interested I am sure I can find a source for the Pry Bar that I have.<br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost

#1628 - 09/13/01 06:48 PM Re: Lessons Learned
billvann Offline
Old Hand

>>>...I found a lightweight titanium pry bar (15in) ...<<<<br><br>Interesting. Was it expensive? <br><br>It would also be useful for tapping on steel beams or pipe should one become trapped in a building. BTW, An urban survivial situation is where one may really need morse code, more so than a wilderness survival situation. <br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1629 - 09/13/01 06:53 PM Re: Lessons Learned
billvann Offline
Old Hand

>>>Many people may even have an old cell phone laying around the house that can be used in this way and not know it. <<<<br><br>I didn't know that! And I have an old one at home, although it's about the size of a brick. Should it have a dial tone when turned on? How could I test to see if it works (withought actually calling 911 and getting in troulble)?<br><br>BTW, I just heard a loud noise outside my office window. It's a helocopter flying by, and it's not military. It's the first aircraft I've seen in the sky since Tuesday, and it sticks out like a sore thumb because of the absence these past two days.<br><br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1630 - 09/13/01 07:02 PM Re: Lessons Learned
ToddG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA
Not at all, $24.95 plus S&H<br>I got mine here:<br>http://www.materials.com/Titanium_tools.HTML<br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost

#1631 - 09/13/01 07:13 PM Re: Lessons Learned
Anonymous
Unregistered

I visit family in a suburb of your city occasionally and I am always struck by the sheer number of planes that can be seen in the sky there at any one time. It must really be strange to be used to that and have the skies empty.<br><br>You can't test the cell phone's 911 capability without actually calling 911, which, of course, should be minimized. It is considered ok to test dial 911 if you do this responsibly. You should state the purpose of your call (testing) and keep the call very short. Do not just hang up when they answer.<br><br>Better yet, just dial any other number, such as your home phone number, and press "send". You will hear a recorded message asking how you would like to pay for the call. Hang up if you do not want to complete the call. This should satisfy you that you actually can make a call with the phone. BTW, no, you should not expect to hear a dial tone when using a cell phone.<br><br>

#1632 - 09/13/01 07:33 PM Re: Lessons Learned
billvann Offline
Old Hand

>>>BTW, no, you should not expect to hear a dial tone when using a cell phone.<<<<br><br>Dough!!! Makes sense once you stop and think about it. ;-)<br><br>>>>Better yet, just dial any other number, such as your home phone number, and press "send". <<<<br><br>Thanks for the tip.<br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1633 - 09/13/01 07:45 PM Re: Lessons Learned
Anonymous
Unregistered

You might think about including a map of the area around the building and several routes leading away from your building to safer areas and/or home. If there is anywhere near the debris or confusion of the WTC attack, you might become confused about how to get home. Maybe a button compass to use with the map. Clearly mark on the map major compass headings.<br><br>- Leather gloves to help protect your hands from debris.<br>- Small prybar to force open doors that may be jammed<br>- Bandana (dust mask, makeshift glove, bandage, signal flag, etc)<br>- Safety glasses/goggles for eye protection from debris/dust<br>- granola bars/trail mix<br>- whistle<br>- Leatherman <br>- Space blanket<br>- Trash bag<br>- Cash for hotel, travel, food, whatever<br>- Larger Marker/Grease Pencil to mark your route as you move about. Allows you to know if you are moving in circles or retracing your steps. Mark arrows or other indicators towards injured/trapped so rescue personal can follow your trail to assist others.<br><br>I saw a commerical site offering 72 hour kits several years ago that sold the kit packaged in a cardboard box about the size of standard file folders but about 2.5" inches tall. They claimed it would fit in the bottom of a standard file cabinet BELOW the bottom drawer. Slide out the bottom file drawer and there is the kit, hidden from most people in the office but known to you. Really basic supplies included were USCG water rations, Mainstay food bar, space blanket.<br><br>Depending on your work environment, maybe you could leave a standard day pack in your drawers. Include the items above along with a pair of sturdy shoes/boots and socks. I would add an unlined nylon windbreaker jacket with hood and more water rations. A portable radio with extra batteries might be a good choice. LED flashlights offer extremely long battery usage life with basically unbreakable bulbs. Maybe a Petzl Tika headlamp. That way your hands are free and you have light showing where ever you turn you head to see.<br><br>I have been making suggestions based on the idea you are able to leave the building. If you are trapped in the building for an extended period but are relatively safe, then you might think about adding a roll of quarters for the vending machines, candles to generate light and heat, matches or lighter for candle. Chemical light sticks work well in explosive environments where flashlights can cause explosions. You might include a chemical light stick as an alternate light source for hazardous atmospheres.<br><br>How about a map of the interior of your building with the exits, fire extingishers, bathrooms, water supplies, vending machines, stairs, fire hoses, first aid kits. <br><br>If your office space were to fill with smoke, would you know how to get to the nearest stairwell? Do you know to check doors with the back of your hand before you grab the doorknob to check to see if the door is hot? If the door is hot, that means there is fire on the other side and you DO NOT want to open the door. The reason you use the back of your hand is so that you do not burn your palm and can still use your hand. <br><br>Ladder trucks are typically 85 to 110 feet. That means the highest floor a ladder truck can reach is about 7 or 8 stories assuming it can get close enough to the building. Above that level you are on your own. There was some discussion earlier about having a small escape kit of rappeling line for such instances. Rappelling from 200 ft is no different than rappelling from 20 except in your mind. 200 ft of rappeling line, even extra small one time emergency use rope would take up considerable space. Rappelling is also a skill you would want to practice before you jump out of a 20 story building.<br><br>There are hoods available for escape from smoke filled buildings. Basically nothing more than a plastic bag with a drawstring you put over your head and cinch around your neck. Attached is a small pressurized air bottle that flows air into the plastic bag. One time use product. The most common injury of fires is smoke inhalation. That means all the stuff in the building is burning and giving off toxic fumes. By keeping the fumes outside your body, you increase your chance of survival. Cost is about $70-$80 per hood.<br><br>

#1634 - 09/13/01 08:15 PM Re: Lessons Learned
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're interested, you might want to take a look at my first tentative list for just this sort of kit. I posted it on 07/16/01 04:40 PM, with the subject "Escape From (your city name here)". I've added a few items since.<br><br>CastAway- I did mention the tiny radios, and have since procured two. They work surprisingly well, weigh less than an ounce, and cost under $10. I consider a radio absolutely essential for an urban kit- you may have a compass and a map, but how are you going to know where the riots/fires/floods/whatever are, and where NOT to go? There are guys in helicopters anxious to tell you, if you'll just listen.<br><br>William- your concern about being away from your pouch is well founded. I once came walking back from lunch to the office building only to find that the entire building had been evacuated for a fire alarm, and EVERYTHING I had was still inside, even my car keys. I was out on the sidewalk for hours, wondering if I'd get back in before nightfall. I don't need to be that stupid twice.<br><br>You mentioned your Palm in a leather pouch on your belt. I carry mine there too, in a horizontal pouch made by Devian. Since the belt loop is as wide as the pouch, it's more than twice as wide as my belt- and the backside makes for a quickly accessible, nearly invisible carry for a folder having a belt clip, up to 4 inches or so closed, maybe a bit more. Just a thought. For entertainment purposes only, as they say.<br><br><br>

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 379 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.