Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#163343 - 01/16/09 12:15 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: Jesselp]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I was glad to her that they all passengers and crew members survived.

What a fantastic job by the flight crew, and the rescuers.

#163346 - 01/16/09 12:33 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: Nicodemus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A perfect water landing! He couldn't have done better if the plane had had pontoons.

This photo really says it all: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/01/15/us/20090115-PLANECRASH_index.html

Give the pilot and crew a belt, a raise and a vacation anywhere!

Sue

#163350 - 01/16/09 01:01 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: Susan]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Great picture Sue.
I wonder how long it floated for. Maybe they were even able to tow it to shore before it sank.

#163353 - 01/16/09 01:07 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: scafool]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

word on the web is that the pilot is an "old pro" ex F4 pilot.
as a survival issue,contary to the the panic and trample fears that abound it seems like most people stayed fairly calm.

#163355 - 01/16/09 01:10 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I don't know how long it floated, but I was watching news clips. It seemed to be up for a while, because as the news program progressed, they were showing different clips. Lots of boats moving around as the plane gently settled. It was also tilted, and I wonder if, at that section of the river, the wingtip might have been resting on the bottom?

BZ to the crew is right!!

#163359 - 01/16/09 01:38 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: ]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I REALLY hope they tout the whole crew on the news. The pilot did an amazing job getting the plane down safely, and kudos to the crew for keeping the passengers orderly. We ALL know how this could have gone; the crew of this aircraft should be commended for their bravery. Thats the stuff heros are made of, friends!

#163360 - 01/16/09 01:39 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: ]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I can assure you the plane never touched the bottom - the river is quite deep there as it's right where the cruise ships come in and out. In fact, the plane continued to drift south with the tide throughout the rescue. It's currently reported to be still in the water and tied up at the marina at the World Financial Center waiting for the investigators to go through it.

Big kudos should also go to the ferry captains at NY Waterway. Their main terminal is just a few blocks from where the plane went down, and they were very quick to begin a rescue operation on their own. There was also a shot of a Circle Line boat that appeared to be trying to stabilize the aircraft as it sunk lower into the water. I believe NYPD also deployed rescue swimmers from a helo very quickly - before they had boats on scene.

All in all a job well done, and a whole lot of luck. I can't imagine they cleared the George Washington Bridge by all that much on the way down. I'm sure Doug will have some interesting data to take away that might help in the future. I hope for all of us he gets to talk to the pilots and crew.

#163362 - 01/16/09 01:52 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The pilots skill probably had very little to do with getting the aircraft down and completing a successful ditching. The Airbus A320 has a very sophisticated Fly By Wire FBW care free handling computer system flight controls, which would have taken over from the pilot if any pilot error was made during the ditching. The system would have corrected any potential pilot errors during the ditching maneuver. This probably had a lot to do with achieving the minimum airspeed without stalling the aircraft for the ditching hence reducing the kinetic energy of the aircraft during the crash landing. The fact the Airbus A320 also didn't break up during the ditching is what saved these passengers lives. No doubt though the pilot will become a National hero.

It does go to show though that a airliner crash can be survivalable as long as your flying in the right airliner especially the more modern ones which have care free handling.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/16/09 01:53 AM)

#163368 - 01/16/09 02:22 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay. . .how does that system perform with two dead engines.

The A320 may be a great aircraft, but the pilot used that great Fly By Wire system to put the plane in the river, the system didn't do it on its own.

#163371 - 01/16/09 02:31 AM Re: Airplane Down In The Hudson River [Re: Jesselp]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Noteworthy is the fact that FDNY & EMS played a major part as always. It appears that the Fireboat that was on station was the McKean, a retired boat used, I believe, as a museum of sorts and normally staffed by retirees, IIRC. If so, the McKean was reported to have had the plane tethered to it to prevent sinking. Kudos to all involved for averting what could have been a major tragedy and loss of life.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.