Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#163249 - 01/15/09 12:28 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
It's just one of those things.

I had an in-depth conversation with her doc and one of the doc's I built a house for last night. The result of which is a new script available to me at Walgreen's on a moments notice via phone call.

One of the problems with some of these medications is the script is invalid if not filled within 5 or 7 days. I keep a listing of all her scripts ready, incase we are separated from her medication. I can, as a last resort, take her and the list to an ER and try to get help that way. Most doctors see the med list, hear her history and help right away. It just gets expensive and wastes ER resources.

Thanks for the ideas.

RIP OBG

#163309 - 01/15/09 08:16 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: scafool]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
For me it's weeks to months, but to be honest I mostly do what's convenient however long that gives me. I don't lie awake at night worrying about it.

For example, I have a stockpile of tinned carrots and tinned sweetcorn, and I have 3 times as much of the latter as the former because the local supermarket sells it in packs of 3 which are more convenient for storing and rotating. I have a certain amount of space available and it all gets filled up. I keep less flour now than I used to, partly because I found I wasn't using it quickly enough and it wasn't producing very good bread. I keep roughly a year's supply of coal (at normal usage rates) because that's how much space I have to stack it in.

I do think that 2 weeks is a good minimum to aim for. As I live alone and have no dependants (other than a cat, who frankly can fend for herself if it ever comes to it), it's an easy target to hit. I think I have food for around 3 months, but realistically I expect to be sharing with less prepared neighbours so I've no idea how long it will really last. No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

#163469 - 01/16/09 07:18 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Can she go to mail order meds? We take a bunch of pills daily (seems like more every year), we get a 90 day supply by mail. The refill notice comes early enough that I can usually get a refill while I have a week or more on hand. I have been doing that long enough that I now have 'bout an extra 90 day supply on hand, so if something happens as refill time approaches, I am still good to go. Or, you might sit down with the dr, explain your concerns, and get some extras thru him/her.

Last thought, could you go to Mexico and get some there? I know a lot of people, without med insurance, who run across the border to get their meds. Most are not even checked when they cross back...

#163881 - 01/19/09 07:51 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
For me, a long time is:

* The amount of time between emptying my last beer and the bartender bringing me the next
* Waiting for the old lady in front of me at the grocery store to buy $200 in lottery tickets when all I am buying is a can of soda
* The amount of time until my next vacation

In all seriousness, 2-3 weeks for me, although I am prepped for quite a bit longer. I have enough food/water/firewood for about 6 months if I bug in.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.