The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#163035 - 01/14/09 02:51 AM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I'm a coffee guy, though I love tea too. I should switch to tea, or at least have that available in my BOB. Hmmmmm.... into the BOB.

#163106 - 01/14/09 04:52 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: benjammin]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I've posted about this before, but back in Oz I found a source for real coffee that would go in my EDC just like a tea bag. It was from a company called Robert Timms, and basically was italian Espresso in a single serving bag in a foil pouch. Brews up pretty much like a cup of lipton tea, but tastes tons better than instant. I brought a bunch home cuz you can't seem to import it (I have scoured the web looking for a source here in the states). Anyways, I keep it around for just in case, and it is holding up nicely in the foil pouches. I wish I could find a way to order it stateside. This is far, far better than the folgers or maxwell house packets. I struggle to drink that stuff down.

I'll have to test my Google-fu later and see if I can find some. If you find a source please let us know. It sounds pretty good.

I'm normally a coffee drinker. When backpacking/etc I drink instant because any other type of coffee is IMO just too much trouble. I keep coffee and tea in my backpack that lives in the car.

#163121 - 01/14/09 05:48 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: 7point82]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
There were a lot of interesting answers.

My turn now.

When I am in the woods it is loose tea.
It is very light to carry and gives me a reason to boil my water, and the tea leaves seem to trap any silt that might be in the water.

If I am a bit turned around stopping to brew a mug of tea lets me think and figure out what to do next, after a mug of tea things always seem better.

Also when hiking with small groups in the cold a small fire and mug up of tea every hour or two is a good way to take a break and warm chilly fingers.
I have not found a really good whitener for it yet, but the little pouches of coffeemate are not too bad.
I enjoy trying different flavours of tea, but tend to only carry one at a time.

In my emergency packs there are a few teabags, pouches of whitener and sugar instant hot chocolate and instant coffee pouches.
Instant hot chocolate and instant coffee make instant Mocha, and that gives you sugar and caffeine at the same time, a real energy booster.

I find ground coffee is just too heavy to carry in the woods, so it is for a special treat at the cabin.
I know people who are just the opposite. They mug up on boiled coffee brewed with a big handful of grounds for each cup and one more for the pot.

#163131 - 01/14/09 06:41 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: scafool]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have found small boxes of indivdual coffee bags in the grocery stores.

I also find many coffee-mud drinkers are here in south Lousy-anna.

I personally prefer to drink my coffee, anywhere I go, WITHOUT using a knife and fork!

#163140 - 01/14/09 06:59 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: wildman800]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Yum, Turkish coffee, would you like one lump or two.

#163151 - 01/14/09 07:49 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: scafool]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I have a fairly broad palate when it comes to different flavors and textures, but I was unable to acquire a taste for strong coffee with Cardamom mixed in it (ala Turkish Coffee). No matter how many times I tried it, I found it so revolting I had to wretch on every swig. It just doesn't work for me.

#163156 - 01/14/09 09:00 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: benjammin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I can understand this completely.

We were invited into coffee with a group of Muslims in a land far, far away. To refuse their hospitality would have been a detriment to our mission. Yaking up the coffee onto their rugs would have been almost as bad. The group of soldiers I was with warned me it was strong, but I almost lost it any way.

I must have brushed my teeth 5 times after we left, and still had the after taste that night when I went to "bed".

Edited by Desperado (01/14/09 09:22 PM)

RIP OBG

#163160 - 01/14/09 09:14 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Oh, the memories...I still go into spasm thinking about that first big gulp.

#163166 - 01/14/09 09:34 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: benjammin]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
The secret to Turkish or for that matter Armenian coffee, which is ironically, very similiar, is to add copious amounts of sugar and drink it fast to get rid of it as fast as possible.

If anyone has ever seen the quality of the beans that are roasted to be used for Turkish/Armenian coffee, you'd never drink it. I'm talking small pebbles, sticks, dirt, etc.

I used to own a coffee cart business and the roaster I used had contracts to roast private batches of beans for some local Armenian/Middle Eastern restaurants. Truly horrible stuff.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#163282 - 01/15/09 04:17 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: JohnE]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Turkish coffee is definitely, umm, err... different...

Got to watch for the grounds at the bottom of the cup too! I knew someone who chugged it all. Not smart.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.