Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#163146 - 01/14/09 07:27 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm fortunate in that my Family Physician is completely sympathetic and cooperative to help us insure that we have extra meds to fill a JIT gap in the event of a hurricane, tornado, flooding, etc.

I have scripts for a broad spectrum antibiotic and a decongestant to supplement my onboard/BoB FAK/OTC meds. Before I use either, I call my Dr's office and consult with him concerning my symptoms. If needed, then I start them and sked a follow-up appt with him, for when I return home.

We also have additional supplies of several drugs at home that any disruption could make getting timely refills difficult.

#163153 - 01/14/09 08:48 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: benjammin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I really do wish missing even one day's dose would not cause issues, but it does. The side effects leave one almost chained to a toilet for 24 hours, not to mention the mood swings.

I have a few doc's in the prepared group that understand, and claim they would fill-in in a pinch. My concern is they and I will not be in the same area.

RIP OBG

#163158 - 01/14/09 09:12 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, if you can just get one 30 day supply ahead, you can rotate it so you will always have it. Good luck.

#163181 - 01/14/09 11:07 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: benjammin]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Can't you tell the doc your going on vacation for over a month and need more... ?

#163183 - 01/14/09 11:18 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Nope, not even close. I might have tried it in the past, and I might have been asked for the travel itinerary.

These aren't your run of the mill scripts. They have even turned heads crossing the border into Canada, Mexico and the Cayman Islands.

To give you an idea, the monthly bill NOT covered by insurance is approximately $3000.00. We actually keep them in a safe in the master closet. That way if sons#1&2 have friends over, we don't worry about them getting into them.

Edited by Desperado (01/14/09 11:21 PM)

RIP OBG

#163224 - 01/15/09 04:38 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

That is an idea. All but one are "normal" in size. The one that is really strong is absolutely tiny, I mean miniscule in size and is only 3mg. I accidentally got one mixed in with my meds one time and the damn thing knocked my butt OUT in about 20 min.

We were on a one day motorcycle trip. To save room, I put all our meds into the same small container. That night I took my medication first. About 5 min later DW asked "have you taken your medication?". "Yes dear." "Well you got one of mine, and you better go pee and get in the bed fast, cause you are about to be stoned out of your mind." "I do kkkkiinnndaaa feeellllmff ffuunnbbby."

I slept on the floor that night. seems the hotel didn't have enough manpower to lift 240lbs into the bed. Good thing I always carry extra meds for her. I got one by accident, she took one that night, and one the next night because I still didn't feel right and wasn't riding the bike back like that.

Evidently having no acquired resistance to the medication tends to qualify one as an instant light weight.

Edited by Desperado (01/15/09 04:40 AM)

RIP OBG

#163227 - 01/15/09 04:43 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Desperado]
Jakam
Unregistered

After Hurricane Iniki, I decided 30 days was as reasonable a time as I could make space for.

#163229 - 01/15/09 04:54 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Desperado]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Though you may meet the same resistance with your wife's doctor, docs will sometimes have samples that they can give out. While not a 30 day supply, it might give you some cushion. My DGF has asked for and received them because her insurance company would not immediately refill a prescription.

Another thought is many insurance companies offer through-the-mail prescriptions for 90 days. This supposedly saves everyone money. The insurance company pays less for the drugs and you pay the same co-pay but only once every 90 days. At least this way, your average supply would be around 45 days instead of 15.

#163233 - 01/15/09 06:10 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Desperado]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I am not even going to try guessing.
I have a brother with a real bad back.
I have been on serious painkillers a few times but when I read my younger brother's prescriptions I just shudder.
I showed him how to grow poppies 5 years ago and explained to him how to make tea.
It is not anywhere near what he should have available, but would likely help a bit if he was without supplies.

Edited by scafool (01/15/09 10:23 PM)

#163239 - 01/15/09 08:06 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hey Desperado,
Sounds like you're in a harsh situation.
Keep fighting the good fight.
Doug

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.