Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163109 - 01/14/09 05:09 PM Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen.
thatguyjeff Offline

This isn't necessarily intended for a survival type situation...

I'm a smoker and intend to be one for a while. I like the torch style lighters. I've had a few, some advertised as "storm proof" and whatnot. But I haven't found one that's freeze proof.

Here in MN, in the winter, my lighter is in my pocket and when it gets cold it doesn't work for nothing. I want one that works when it's been out in the cold for a while. Don't want a zippo or bic, etc...

Anyone know of a torch style, stormproof lighter that actually works when it's frozen? Or is this something, due to the design of the torch style dealie, that just doesn't work when it's cold?

#163111 - 01/14/09 05:14 PM Re: Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen. [Re: thatguyjeff]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Nope, but I suggest a shirt pocket carry placement to keep it warmer.

RIP OBG

#163120 - 01/14/09 05:44 PM Re: Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen. [Re: Desperado]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Its gas under pressure, so, as butane works differently at lower pressures and temps, there likely isnt any way, barring keeping it warm, that I would see it working, simply due to nature of the fuel.

#163122 - 01/14/09 05:53 PM Re: Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen. [Re: oldsoldier]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Even Zippos can be hard to light when it gets real cold.
Bics seem to freeze at about -20 on me.

Like Desperado and old Soldier say, the only things you can really do are put it in an inside pocket or warm it up in your hands before lighting it.

#163134 - 01/14/09 06:45 PM Re: Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen. [Re: scafool]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
You may try looking at backpacking forums or mountaineering forums. Maybe shoot an email to rmiguides.com who guide mountain climbs.

I have a high altitude lighter, I can't recall the name. Its a pressurized butane lighter with a clasp lock and some other 'novel' concepts like a button compass and waterproof seal. It's basically a suped up bic.

I have used it over 12,000 feet but it was also next to my body so it wasn't frozen.

#163135 - 01/14/09 06:47 PM Re: Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen. [Re: thatguyjeff]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just fill your gas lighter with Isobutane/propane mix from a commericial canister

http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/isopro.asp

you'll also probably need the Brunton fuel tool as well.

http://www.rei.com/product/708996

This should in theory give you an additional 11C colder working temperature compared to butane fuel.

Actually you may find that the working temperature of the torch using this fuel may even be slighter lower as the propane content will burn of first at very low temperatures enough to warm up the torch to get the isobutane above its boiling point of -11.5C.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/14/09 06:57 PM)

#163138 - 01/14/09 06:53 PM Re: Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen. [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Nope, but I suggest a shirt pocket carry placement to keep it warmer.

Sorry, I was typing without the benefit of my contact lenses when I wrote the quote above.

When I was an avid skier, I learned to keep a small pouch on a wide (think ice hockey skate) shoe lace around my waist or neck. Inside said pouch was ID, lighter and smokes. Lighter stayed warm, smokes stayed dry, and if I hung myself accidentally by the neck cord the ID let them know who was dead.

I now use a beak-away lanyard as I have no wish to be hung by the neck. Added to the aforementioned contents are cash and a USB drive with all family med and ID info etc.

As an aside....

Try shaking the lighter when cold, it seems to help. Or try to quit the smokes, but that hasn't worked for me yet either.

RIP OBG

#163147 - 01/14/09 07:28 PM Re: Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen. [Re: Desperado]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
What about wind-proof matches?

#163152 - 01/14/09 08:41 PM Re: Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
thatguyjeff Offline

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Just fill your gas lighter with Isobutane/propane mix from a commericial canister

http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/isopro.asp

you'll also probably need the Brunton fuel tool as well.

http://www.rei.com/product/708996

This should in theory give you an additional 11C colder working temperature compared to butane fuel.

Actually you may find that the working temperature of the torch using this fuel may even be slighter lower as the propane content will burn of first at very low temperatures enough to warm up the torch to get the isobutane above its boiling point of -11.5C.

Sounds to me like it has more to do with the physics/chemistry of the lighter than anything else. I kinda expected that.

So help me with the conversion here, so I can decide if this is worth my while. Theoretically, the fuel mix you're suggesting should work down to about 10 degrees F, if not a little lower?

Would you think a different fuel would negatively effect the lighter, all else being equal?

#163154 - 01/14/09 08:51 PM Re: Looking for a "torch" that works when frozen. [Re: thatguyjeff]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

IF I remember correctly isobutane burns "hotter" than propane. (or I may have that backwards) Flame size may be different. I would assume BLAST would know.

RIP OBG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.