Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#163251 - 01/15/09 12:41 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Wheels]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Wheels

... removed non-quoted...
On a related note - I fly a couple times a year and a talkative and honest flight attendant explained to me that if they need to evacuate the plane, I'm the last to get out. It would take too long to arrange for me to get to the exit and so on (a form of triage). Good to know, I suppose. As I thought about it, I would have written the same rule. Makes sense. Personally, I like to fly with my very strong 18 yr old son sitting next to me or, if alone, I hope to sit near some big strong friendly person.

When I fly, I take notice of any unaccompanied minors and those with other limitations in my area. In the event of an evacuation or crash landing, and I'm capable, I would assist them after anyone else I'm flying with. I remember flying on a puddle-jumper once and thinking if anything happens, the 10-year old in front of me is going to hear "You're with me!" Yes, the flight attendant is responsible for the kids, but they're also responsible for everyone else too. Distributed Emergency Management, that's what this survival thing is all about, right?

Edited by ki4buc (01/15/09 12:42 PM)

#163280 - 01/15/09 04:13 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: ki4buc]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: ki4buc

When I fly, I take notice of any unaccompanied minors and those with other limitations in my area. In the event of an evacuation or crash landing, and I'm capable, I would assist them after anyone else I'm flying with. I remember flying on a puddle-jumper once and thinking if anything happens, the 10-year old in front of me is going to hear "You're with me!" Yes, the flight attendant is responsible for the kids, but they're also responsible for everyone else too. Distributed Emergency Management, that's what this survival thing is all about, right?

Now that is the attitude that more people need to have! Kudos to you!

#163294 - 01/15/09 06:38 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Mike_H]
thtimster Offline

Wheels, I am curious to know what what your EDC is, & also what you would have in a Emergency Kit or FAK. I am keeping in mind that you have bags of some kind attached to your wheelchair, but overloading might slow you down or otherwise encumber you.

Tim

#163321 - 01/15/09 09:05 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: thtimster]
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Virginia
Tim,

My EDC might seem thin considering I have a bag hanging off the back of my chair (3"x14"x12") - -

Leatherman Charge
Whistle
Flashlights (4!) all mini size attached to various things
Cell phones (2) plus AA powered charger
SAK
Emergency contacts
Tums
Aspirin
Tylenol
Sig (ccw)
Water
Standard wallet stuff incl extra keys
Food (varies)
Lighter
Ipod

When I'm significantly away from home/office I carry a much more complete kit that includes FAK, water purificatin tabs, emergency "blanket," etc that's based on ETS suggestions (2"x4"x5") in a siliconized nylon kit bag with multiple pockets. I also would carry hot hands/toastie toes, hat, sunglasses, and so on depending on what I think I might need.

I try to keep the chair light and rely on being close to my van. A couple years ago we went out west (flew) for 10 days - that was different ... I carried all of the above plus maps, paracord, bandanas, and a couple of FRS radios for my wife and I to use. That all seemed good in hindsight.

From everyone's suggestions I'll add at least an armband light and nitrile gloves.

My FAKs are very complete but nothing special (I have a wonderful company FAK 40 ft from my office). Fortunately I don't have any real health issues (lookin' for some wood to knock on) beyond brittle bones, loose joints, and a fused back. I probably should carry some prescription pain meds but I get by on one aspirin a day a a couple Tylenol a few times a week. Mostly I wind up using my EDC and other stuff to help others smile
The people I know well ask me for a variety of things all the time. When my wife and I go out I carry her stuff too which sometimes includes her version of an EDC in addition to the usual (contact case/fluid, gum, brush, blah blah blah).

#163347 - 01/16/09 12:39 AM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Wheels]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire, newguy! It seems you have everything well under control. I might suggest a small radio though so you can keep up with any important news. That's my one problem with iPods, they don't have a bilt-in radio.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#163761 - 01/18/09 11:39 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Mike_H]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Mike_H

Now that is the attitude that more people need to have! Kudos to you!

It's kind of self-serving. It'll give me something to focus on in order to take in the situation. I know I have a tendency to freeze (as most everyone does), and with my knowledge and some experience, I need to be in a better position to help. The only way I could think of was to concentrate on someone else.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.