Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#163040 - 01/14/09 03:09 AM Re: Unusual situation [Re: rescueguru]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Welcome Wheels.

First, I think your thinking with regard to your best initial options is on. Bugging-in and using your vehicle to the extent you cannot are for most of us the right ideas to begin with.

I think the ideas reflectors and lights to make you more visible are good too. I had a bike light when I useed to ride in the evening that flashed like a red strobe. I'm sure you could find one, and I'd use both a light and a reflector or two. If the light fails, you'd still have something making you more visible.

One thing I think you should think about is what happens if you need to bug out and your vehicle is not an option. I like keeping as many options open as possible and considering the worse-case scenario.

Do you have supplies in case you want to bug-in at your office or elsewhere? Having a small amount of supplies or a backup kit might be a good idea. More is usually better, redundancy is often not a problem.

I little knowledge about maintaining a wheelchair, but do you carry any spare parts and/or tools for it?

#163057 - 01/14/09 04:28 AM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Wheels]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Welcome Wheels, glad to have you aboard. One of my friends was in similar circumstances as a young adult. The 2 things he did that impressed me, he hit the local motorcycle shop and got a couple tool kit bags that attach to motorcycles handlebars. They are made to attach to any round tube frame, hold quite a bit and they look cool. wink The other thing he did I thought was good pre-planning, a set of folding ramps in the back of his van. Back in those days they were pretty expensive but now a decent set can be had from outfits like auto parts stores and harbor freight tools pretty reasonable. They don't take up much space when folded, can handle several hundred pounds and can prove worth their weight in gold if you have to go somewhere the terrain is a challenge. For that matter I can think of tons of times in an emergency that a pair of strong pieces of metal could be used for braces, supports, even mini bridges for pedestrian traffic. As for some lights on the chair he went to a skate board shop and replaced the front wheels with some spiffy looking clear plastic deals with lights that flicker when they roll. (he is a bit of a character lol)

#163064 - 01/14/09 08:15 AM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Ranter]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Keep battery operated bicycle lights to hand, front and rear with means of attaching them to your wheelchair.
Remember that an emergeny may require you to use your chair outdoors in the dark, perhaps in a power failure, being run down by an auto could be a real risk.

As others suggest, keep supplies at your work place including water, batteries, spare clothing, long life foods, flashlight, radio etc.

Would funds and storeage space permit of keeping a spare wheelchair at you work place? Just in case yours suffers any damage that cant be readily repaired.

#163068 - 01/14/09 12:02 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Wheels]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Look for the reflective material at a sign shop. Many carry the retro-reflective materials that appear a given color during the daylight and only reflect when hit with light at night. (like on LEO/EMS vehicles) Black is available. Does your ride have the Quick Detach wheels? If so, spare parts for that?? QD may only be a racing thing, I don't know.

Pepper spray for dogs is still a good idea. Lots easier to explain than a CCW discharge. (Or worse an accidental shooting due to shooting thru a dog.)

Edit: I just thought of this. What floor are you on at work? If not on the first floor, what plans do you have for evacuating from the building? I assume it does not include the elevator?

Edited by Desperado (01/14/09 12:44 PM)

RIP OBG

#163077 - 01/14/09 01:17 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Wheels]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Looks to me like you have an advantage over a lot of folks who have the use of legs and don't exercise. They won't know they have limitations until it's too late. You have one you live with daily and have adjusted your life to accommodate.

Two things got my attention in your initial post: "manual wheelchair", "no lift". IMO, by not falling into the trap set up by technology, you did yourself a huge service. Electric wheelchairs and lifts require battery power; instead you have upper body strength.

Do you need elevators to get to/from your office? If so, how will you get from your office to your van when the power goes out? Maybe your building has a back-up generator and it's not an issue, but if it is, supplies in the office which would allow you to bug-in there might be appropriate. You know the situation, your call.

Look at the different situations that could arise with your vehicle and at work. I have the Powerflares mentioned previously in my truck because in SOCAL with all the wildfire danger, they seem like a better option than a road flare. Great signaling device and they won't start a fire next to your van. I'll assume you have blankets in the van and you always dress appropriately. You already carry so that's covered too. (I hope you get enough trigger time, but that's an issue for another forum.)

#163079 - 01/14/09 01:29 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Russ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I guess the only other concern I would consider is sanitation. Depending on how chair bound you are, I would assume you've made suitable provisions for excretion and disposal. For most of us fully ambulatory folks, that is little more conern than finding some concealment, but for someone truly disabled, that might be problematic I imagine.

#163088 - 01/14/09 02:08 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: benjammin]
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Virginia
I'll reply to all so far in this post.

I like the idea of armband lights if I need to roll at night - getting run over would be bad. Also, increasing the visibility of my van (actually, two Toyota Siennas - mine and my wife's - set up the same way in terms of preparedness) is a good point; I'll look into reflective decals and maybe a flag to hang as an SOS. Also, a spotlight - birthday comin' up smile

A word about my van (2WD) - I've removed the seat behind the driver's seat and one of the way-back seats. I can move around inside easily - I have brittle bones but no spinal issues. I have blankets, sleeping bags, candles, food, Esbit sove, FAK, etc. plus shovel, road flares, tire puncture kit, air compressor, empty gas can, etc. in case my wife is with me or I get lucky in terms of a good samaritan. I have no lift - I put my chair through the left sliding door into the space created by removing a seat. I can stand briefly to do this but I can do it w/o standing if need be. I have room for some sort of compact camp toilet which I will get. The PA speaker is now also on my list to do pronto.

I have spare tubes/tools for my chair but no other spare parts - pretty expensive and since I weigh under 125 and buy very high quality, my chair simply doesn't fail (ok, now I've jinxed it). I have quick release hubs so changing a tube is easy. I have a bag/backpack for my EDC. I need to maintain a professional image for my job so my chair can't stand out in a crowd - everything is basic black. I wince enough with the chair's "quickie" name/logo on the back of the seat - real nice.

Finally, radios - I've had good luck with the CB (got me out of a jam some years ago) and the FRS is just to try to raise somebody (cheap). I don't know much about Ham but will look into it. I know some Ham operators and there have been threads here on the subject.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions so far - good stuff!

#163090 - 01/14/09 02:27 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Wheels]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Wheels
Any suggestions?

Get your ham license and get a ham radio for your home and van, perhaps a handheld will work.

#163091 - 01/14/09 02:28 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Wheels]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Wheels

My chair is all black ... good point. Maybe a couple of reflective armbands in my EDC. I'll stop into my local bicycle shop.

Had an experience just the other night where a fellow in a wheelchair was crossing a rural road to get to his mail box. The chair was dark, his clothes were dark and it was rainy and dusk. The low profile of the chair against the roadside hedges didn't help either. I did see him in time but some sort of light or reflector would have kept that lump in my throat from jumping up. Almost stopped to give a him flashing LED wand I carry in the glove compartment but he gave me the one finger salute instead. I felt bad about scaring him but he could have made it easier for drivers to see him.

#163100 - 01/14/09 03:40 PM Re: Unusual situation [Re: Andy]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Great question and I think it has got a lot of us thinking. I have two ideas. One would be some chemical/biological barrier gloves. Something heavy duty that protected your hands if your going through areas that might have contaminated water or fluid. Maybe even look for a type that has some extras protection of the knuckles and fingers.

Next is a step I think all of us would like to include in our EDC kit, a PLB.

Now that I think about it, On-Star might also be a good idea for your van.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.