The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#162524 - 01/12/09 02:18 AM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: sotto]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
That coffee would be Korean alright, I see it all over the place here. I didn't know it had the creamer and sugar already in it though, since I don't really drink coffee. I don't usually need a caffeine boost to get through the day.

I usually drink hot chocolate in the winter time. Very comforting and requires no acquiring of taste. But its also bulkier to carry then tea or unadulterated coffee and it leaves a bigger mess to clean up.

I've just recently gotten into drinking tea, partly for the relaxation of making it and partly because, well, I'm in Asia. I'm even starting to enjoy it laugh . But tea also has several advantages over coffee. One is that if you're drinking loose leaf tea, it doesn't go stale as quickly as ground coffee. It can last up to two years. A good thing if you're planning on leaving it in your kit. The same doesn't hold for tea bags though. Tea also contains less caffeine and some other chemicals. It gives you a lower, longer high. The other thing I like is rose hip tea or herbal teas that contain rose hips. They're usually pretty tart which I like, and rose hips contain a lot of vitamin C and iron which might be useful.

#162543 - 01/12/09 03:36 AM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: NightHiker]
sodak Offline
Addict

Coffee, hot and black. Nothing else needed, no cream, sweetners, or any of that candy @#$ stuff. I hate tea...

#162596 - 01/12/09 02:22 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: sodak]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've posted about this before, but back in Oz I found a source for real coffee that would go in my EDC just like a tea bag. It was from a company called Robert Timms, and basically was italian Espresso in a single serving bag in a foil pouch. Brews up pretty much like a cup of lipton tea, but tastes tons better than instant. I brought a bunch home cuz you can't seem to import it (I have scoured the web looking for a source here in the states). Anyways, I keep it around for just in case, and it is holding up nicely in the foil pouches. I wish I could find a way to order it stateside. This is far, far better than the folgers or maxwell house packets. I struggle to drink that stuff down.

#162597 - 01/12/09 02:23 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: sodak]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Coffee. I normally drink 3 cups of Nescafe Instant a day, made with 50% milk in a microwave and 2 spoons of sugar. The closest I can get to that in the wild are the Nescafe Cappuccino pre-packaged sachets. These include a milk powder that provides some froth, and some sugar. I carry extra sugar.

I also keep these sachets in the house to drink when I run out of milk. That way I have a chance of getting through my stockpile before it expires, and they taste good enough that I can put off buying milk a day if I need to.

#162611 - 01/12/09 03:48 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: Brangdon]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I pack both. I find that coffee tends to make me thirsty after drinking, which tea doesn't.

I have a few different teas that I pack with me. Some of them give me a better caffeine boost than coffee does without the jitters.

#162709 - 01/12/09 11:06 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Tea is what one drinks when there is no coffee anywhere to be found...unless it's iced tea of course...;^)

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#162745 - 01/13/09 12:58 AM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: JohnE]
sotto Offline
Addict

I was in an Asian grocery store in Chinatown in LA today. They had 3 different "3-in-1" instant coffees including the Nescafe one in the foil tube.

#162950 - 01/13/09 08:23 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: sotto]
symphonyincminor Offline
Stranger

Cafe Americano - 4 shots of espresso topped off with hot water. They're... addicting. My usual black coffee seems like puddle water now. But I love coffee - everything from cheap stale office coffee in a styrofoam cup to freshly roasted grounds out of a french press, and everything in between.

Tea is great (if there's nothing else in the house to drink). smile

#162955 - 01/13/09 08:52 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: symphonyincminor]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: symphonyincminor
But I love coffee - everything from cheap stale office coffee in a styrofoam cup to freshly roasted grounds out of a french press, and everything in between.

agree... its my addiction and i'm not afraid to admit it!

#162960 - 01/13/09 09:14 PM Re: Tea or coffee? [Re: Kris]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...styrofoam cup..."

Yuk! I always have a Aladan insulated mug hidden away somewhere, just in case...

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.