Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#163565 - 01/17/09 03:46 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: TrailDemon]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: TrailDemon
im currently looking at little guy teardrop trailers(no i dont work for them). i like the camo exterior.
http://www.silvershadowtrailers.com/teardrops/
theres a lot of info on TD trailers on the net.

I was just thinking about that trying to work out the hospital bed issue that wildman would need to negotiate.

I work as a nurse and I'm going through all the logistics of moving folks around in hospital beds that I do on a daily basis.

Depending on the mobility of my patient or loved one, a teardrop could work with a few modifications such as grab bars and being able to elevate mechanically the head and knee segments of the sleeping surface.

Not easy but manageable.

#163568 - 01/17/09 04:03 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: TrailDemon]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
im currently looking at little guy teardrop trailers(no i dont work for them). i like the camo exterior.

they have 12v power with tv/radios. i have even seen a few owners with solar panels on them. with my ham radio installed, this could be my mobile comshack!
im thinking of storing it in a storage facility on the outskirts of town heading towards my BOL; storing a weeks food/water in it, and bringing my essentials with me, when i pick it up.

i WAS going to tent/tarp camp for emergencies, but then i remember what a pain it was to get setup in bad weather. with a small TD trailer, all i would need to do is pull up to my destination. no setup needed. smile

TrailDemon -- (just noticed we are both on another forum so you know this already) I have a 2008 6'-wide Little Guy platform. Love it. Had it painted to match my Honda Element. At the time they weren't selling the Silver Shadow, given a do-over the Shadow probably would be my choice.

I've long camped for the sake of camping. It's a dog-friendly, affordable and more social way to get out of the city and enjoy the mountains (such as they are around here). For convenience, my teardrop trailer is stored about 30 miles from where we usually camp on weekends. None of this was done with "bug out" utility in mind but I certainly appreciate the applicability. The bike and bike trailer are another setup that has bug-out utility but they were purchased for bikejoring (my dog pulls the bike) and the trailer hauls firewood, ice and -- as she ages -- my dog.

Someone who is focused on practical bug-out vehicles should also look at getting a bike rack on it and taking a bike or two along in case roads became impassable or gasoline became impossible.

Here's a new product for Doug to perfect: Ritter's ST-1 Survival Trailer.

Attachments
IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

Edited by Dagny (01/18/09 03:00 PM)

#163573 - 01/17/09 04:30 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: Dagny]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Just poking around I stumbled across this:

Stand up Teardrop.

I might even be able to convince my DW to consider this design.

#163575 - 01/17/09 04:53 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: samhain]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

That is a very clever design, Samhain. A company has recently started building a variation on that concept. The "Hi-Lo Mojo"

http://www.hilomojo.com/

Anything anyone would ever wish to know of teardrops, how to build and even free construction guides to download.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php

Here are some more pics of mine. I had considered pop-ups but most are too heavy for my car and the set-up and maintenance factors weighed on my decision. The teardrop is simplicity. My priorities were a permanently-packed secure sleeping space. A 12' x 12' Eureka screenroom provides expanded living area for lengthy stays and a Kirkham auto canopy (stored in the teardrop) provides quick shelter off the back of the Element.

I saved money and weight by having my teardrop constructed without cabinetry and without a kitchen galley. I wanted the option of sleeping cross-ways in the teardrop, which the 6'-wide allows.

Would be fun to custom-build one, given the talent, tools, time and space. In lieu of cabinets, I attached Cabela's "cot organizers" to dowling and closet rod hangers that I bought at Home Depot.

Attachments
IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

Edited by Dagny (01/17/09 05:00 PM)

#163576 - 01/17/09 04:54 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Couple more pics. As you can see, two bikes easily ride on the back of the teardrop (the manufacturer put the hitch receiver on). Some folks attach "SUV tents," screenrooms or canopies off the side and/or back of their teardrop. Little Guy sells a screenroom designed to attach to their teardrops.

Attachments
IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

Edited by Dagny (01/17/09 05:04 PM)

#163581 - 01/17/09 05:15 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: samhain]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: samhain

I was just thinking about that trying to work out the hospital bed issue that wildman would need to negotiate.

I work as a nurse and I'm going through all the logistics of moving folks around in hospital beds that I do on a daily basis.

Depending on the mobility of my patient or loved one, a teardrop could work with a few modifications such as grab bars and being able to elevate mechanically the head and knee segments of the sleeping surface.

Not easy but manageable.

If you bought (or built) the cargo version of the Little Guy Silver Shadow (www.golittleguy.com) then you could slide someone right in. That full-length rear hatch is what most appeals to me about the Silver Shadow.

Attachments
Farrier Silver Shadow 006 (Small)-1.jpg

#163599 - 01/17/09 08:39 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: Dagny]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
Dagny,
well well well.. if it isn't HikerChick from TT&T! i thought i recognized that nice galapagos green TD and sweet samyoed!
as always, im impressed by your setup. it must be good if gidget likes it! wink your photos inspired me. smile

you probably know me from TT&T.

im currently looking at a white shadow locally on sale for $5900 CDN. it has the inside galley with space for a cooler. also has the tv and sound package. still waiting for the snow to clear is all.

peace
al

Edited by TrailDemon (01/17/09 08:45 PM)

#163607 - 01/17/09 09:28 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: TrailDemon]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Now that is one damned fine looking teardrop trailer. I've been toying with the idea of building one of those for a couple of years now. I'm now re-inspired, thanks.

Let me just finish my fencing chicken coop new garage roof projects and I'll get started on the teardrop...;^)

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#163608 - 01/17/09 09:30 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: JohnE]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
yea. i thought of building one too, but decided that i'd rather spend the time camping in one than building one.

peace

#163611 - 01/17/09 09:34 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: TrailDemon]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Hello fellow T&TT'ers
I mostly lurk at T&TT, but I've made a few posts
I'm in the process of building a very modified, 6'6" wide(transverse bed), 10' long version of Mike Schneider's "Winter Warrior" as a emergency/camping trailer. Doing a cardboard template setup this winter and when warmer spring weather hits the plywood cutting starts.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.