The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#163215 - 01/15/09 03:57 AM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
How far do you think you would have to go to get 'somewhere' safe?

I'm with Eugene on the availability of rental trucks. I've had to wait for a reserved one to show up, and they didn't show up for two more days after my reservation.

As an experiment, call all your local truck rentals some day soon, and ask how quickly you could get a truck. The answers may be very educational.

If you've got a halfway decent tow vehicle, I would agree with those who suggested dragging a trailer of some kind. I doubt that your gas mileage would be much worse than a rental truck. I don't think any of them get much more than 8 mpg, loaded. Having your own rig in the yard, even if you could make it home soon enough, your wife could start loading according to a printed plan, and you could be that much further ahead.

What's your plan if a situation arises when you're not available to the family? You may want to consider a setup that your wife can handle (mostly) alone. No, it's not desirable, but it could happen, compliments of Mr. Murphy.

Sue

#163254 - 01/15/09 01:27 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Depending on the terrain, isn't blast radius on most fusion bombs these days somewhere around 40 miles? I'd figure 50 just to be safe. How fast can you go 50 miles if you have to? Maybe I do need to consider a pair of BMWs motorcycles. Then again, here in cental Colorado, you'd probably be driving like a bat out of hell from one blast radius and right into another I suppose.

Being able to do 160 mph+ on the ground in the open, and otherwise able to navigate traffic jams when necessary, I'd say that the most expedient way for most of us to emergency evac would be a big bike. Sometimes speed will be preferable to load. Getting to a local airport, getting prepped, and getting off the ground, even if you have your own plane and it is fully equipped is just going to take too long, unless the local airport is your back yard.

As it is, my plan allows me to pack all that I need to bug out hard in just my pickup truck. It is quite full, but it will have enough for me to live for at least two weeks in just about any weather conditions, and it is mobile. I discovered that much of what I pack for elk camp works just as well for bug out.

#163263 - 01/15/09 02:22 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I discovered that much of what I pack for elk camp works just as well for bug out.

Or a long Car or cabin camping trip. (with the addition of a few extra firearms and ammo)

#163268 - 01/15/09 02:34 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: wildman800]
Jakam
Unregistered

Wild, my entire plan is just what you started with- on another thread, I listed a bunch of acronyms for my various BOP/BOG/BORV/BOT layers.

So at the end, if I have to bug out, I have a 20 foot van conversion RV (Roadtrek), self contained, with a 5X8 trailer, and about 30 bins/jugs/boxes/buckets. About 13 mpg with the trailer, with my spare fuel intact, I should be able to get about 400-500 miles worst case, all the way to my compound in AZ best case.

#163288 - 01/15/09 04:36 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I try to make a camping trip once a year which is a good test of my packing and living from my gear. before I moved I had a long row of shelves along the side of the garage where I had everything stored. The heaviest items were on a mid height shelf which was about the same height as my truck bed so it was easy to back in and slide those over. I still need to set that up in the new house.

#163291 - 01/15/09 05:24 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: benjammin]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Another point to consider.
Two vehicles to move at the same time requires two drivers to move them.

#163477 - 01/16/09 08:22 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: samhain]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Would renting a small , el-cheapo storage unit between home and bug out location be feasible?

If there is such a thing as an "el-cheapo" storage unit, don't forget that most of them require power just to get you into the place. Big power outage, you might not be able to get in to get your stuff...

#163478 - 01/16/09 08:50 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats what I said earlier, either power for the automated gate or staff on site.
If your going to rely on a rental truck or rental storage then your relying on a company, how is that any different than relying on the .gov to evacuate you?

#163479 - 01/16/09 09:06 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Thats what I said earlier..."

Sorry 'bout that, our computer got eaten by a virus, it is in the shop, and I am trying to catch up on a borrowed laptop, didn't read back far enough.

Having to rely on anyone other than yourself is a bummer...

#163537 - 01/17/09 03:51 AM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: OldBaldGuy]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
im currently looking at little guy teardrop trailers(no i dont work for them). i like the camo exterior.
http://www.silvershadowtrailers.com/teardrops/
theres a lot of info on TD trailers on the net.

they have 12v power with tv/radios. i have even seen a few owners with solar panels on them. with my ham radio installed, this could be my mobile comshack!
im thinking of storing it in a storage facility on the outskirts of town heading towards my BOL; storing a weeks food/water in it, and bringing my essentials with me, when i pick it up.

i WAS going to tent/tarp camp for emergencies, but then i remember what a pain it was to get setup in bad weather. with a small TD trailer, all i would need to do is pull up to my destination. no setup needed. smile

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.