The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#162837 - 01/13/09 08:23 AM Layered Response Planning
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks Benjammin for getting me started.

What plan(s) do each of us have for when a disaster recovery has stretched to a point that staying put is no liable viable?

That point, for me, arrives when fresh water (my Achille's Heel) is rapidly diminishing and gasoline is in short supply, prohibiting me from going to get more water, in a reliable fashion.

That point could be reached much more rapidly if an identified major event is coming down on me, and staying put is not an option, and a quick return is unlikely.

IMO, having a camper simplifies the need for an emergency home, unfortunately, that is an option that I won't be afford for a couple more years.

My current plan (still developing) comes from www.cheaprvliving.com . I am thinking of renting a large sized box truck from a company such as Ryder, Pensky(?), etc. Load it up with my books/manuals, food and water supplies, tools, and some furniture (armory, sofa bed, DD1's hospital bed, porta potty, camping gear, etc), and head to one of several "Safe Havens" where I could park it for a short term, or rent a small place, unload the goods, and turn the rental truck in.

This idea originally came from a friend in the U.P. of Michigan who would do this to attend NASCAR races, in Florida every year.

My next endeavor is to check and insure that my safe havens are within range of certain medical services and that those places accept my military medical insurance.

This plan would quickly relocate my family to safety and allow me to work at my job, which is always far from home. When the emergency situation has calmed down sufficiently, We either drive home, or rent another truck, load it up, and drive home.

That's my ultimate "layer" of planning,,,,for now.

#162846 - 01/13/09 01:03 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: wildman800]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I see a couple issues. Truck renting is expensive as well as renting a storage place. For the cost of renting a truck you could just as easily buy a beat up old trailer.
Also consider if somehting happens that makes you relocate and need to get to those supplies chances are the owners of the storage place have locked up and went home as well as the owners of the truck renatl place. To me renting a truck and/or storage rely too much on someone else.
I'm watching craigslist now for a small beat up trailer. if you build a trailer yourself and want to license it then you hve to jumo through a lot of hoops to get it safety inspected, but if you buy a beater and license it then replace every part except the serial number your still legal. I want something small, just a single axel with a bed and bathroom and little else, small enough to roll into the garage.

Edited by Eugene (01/13/09 01:03 PM)

#162854 - 01/13/09 01:49 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
One could always consider buying a wrecked pickup (front end the wrecked part), then have a friend with a welding torch turn the bed into a trailer. Put a camper shell on it and you have a pretty good amount of storage, won't cost a fortune. A truck with a utility bed would give you all those neat little compartments on the sides. Or, on a smaller scale, many places, Costco for one, sell little "kit" trailers. Not nearly the usable space, but still something to think about.

If you were to go the rental route, what about your personal vehicle? Is someone else going to drive it, is it towable if it sould come to that? If not, you would need to rent a tow dolly also, thereby increasting the rental cost. If someone else drives it, you will have double (or more) fuel costs...

#162858 - 01/13/09 02:07 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: OldBaldGuy]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
It seems like a good thread to start. I agree with the concept of layered responses.
It is important to prepare for the possible disaster itself and the chance you might get caught in it.
I think it is also important to prepare to avoid the disaster if possible and to prepare a recovery plan for the aftermath.
I think a properly planned response has to include a reasonable bug out plan as well as a provisioning plan in case you intend to sit and ride the situation out.

#162866 - 01/13/09 02:48 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The truckbed trailer has the same issues, to get it licensed in most places someone who has certain certifications has to do the welding and it needs inspections and such.

#162877 - 01/13/09 03:24 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: Eugene]
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
Look on Craigslist for a cheap 4 X 6 trailer. You can score them for less than $1000 easily.

#162880 - 01/13/09 03:36 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: reconcowboy]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
There's a lot of folks with varying degrees of skills and tools who build their own trailer. Teardrops and "standies" with bathrooms:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php

Rather than build, I bought a teardrop. A great gear hauler with a king-sized bed and door locks. Great for camping and certainly useful for bugging out.

Some of these folks built for hurricane evacs.

#162887 - 01/13/09 04:15 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: Dagny]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
For me, layered response begins with event reaction, proceeds through securing essentials, and culminates in long term lifestyle adjustments as needed. Not every incident proceeds to the third level, but nearly every incident starts with level one, usually in the form of me trying to get by until I can either bug out, or return to home. From there things diverge into myriad possibilities, but almost all involve escalating levels of supply provisions and mobility concerns. The more time that goes by in a crisis situation, especially one where external aid is not forthcoming, the more my mode of operation converts from simple day to day survival using basic gear, supplies and methods, to the longer term goals, such as more secure shelter, supply requisitioning, security, and consoldating perhaps with others to form some sort of community.

#162893 - 01/13/09 04:32 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: benjammin]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I am more with Benjamin's thinking on this.

I start with avoidance, then with first aid, followed by "long term" of a few hours progressing to a few weeks.
After that it is getting into TEOTWAWKI and a whole new ball of wax.

If I was in hurricane, fire, or flood country I would likely consider going to visit relatives in a safe zone when the weather warnings started instead of waiting for an evacuation order.

#162898 - 01/13/09 04:40 PM Re: Layered Response Planning [Re: scafool]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not staying put is part of avoidance, if the disaster is going to be in your AO. Unless something really bad happens your more likely to bug out to a hotel room than anythng else. So I gear toward that first. I have a suitcase in each closet ready to go which has various toiletires already packed like toothbrush and deoderant. When I use up a toothbrush or deoderant at home I buy a new one and put it in the suit case and pull the one from the suitcase to use at home that way I rotate stock. Basically everything you may need to carry out normal activites. Those and the BOB's are the first layer.
Having those ready can make some fun too, get up one day and decide to just go away for a night or two, to you and I its a disaster avoidance/bug out test but for the rest of the family just a weekend get away.
I did one last year and found out a couple items we needed and the ony store around was a walmart so I had to pay twice what I should have for them, I haven't been in a walmart forever since they were more expensive than other stores but hadn't realized just how much more expensive they were.

Edited by Eugene (01/13/09 04:42 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.