Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#162857 - 01/13/09 02:03 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: scafool]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My sole experience with a natural disaster was a large earthquake in a small central CA town. Water, sewer, and natural gas out, electricity restored in a short time. Many homes knocked flat, or at least off of their foundations, downtown area destroyed. Within hours water buffaloes from a nearby Naval Air Station arrived, within 12 or so hours lots of portapotties (plus many almost immediately from a local business), within 24 hours more canned and bottled water than could be used from a beer brewery in southern CA, and lots of eatables from a variety of sources. Within a few days a huge circus tent, used to feed folks via the Red Cross (one of the few good things I have to say about them). Within a week or so numerous single wide mobile homes from FEMA (one of the few good things I have to say about them also). Within a week or so every natural gas worker PG&E had in the state arrived to completely replace the underground NG lines (in places, the old gas lines were completely rotted away, the gas had been flowing thru holes in the dirt for years. The dirt was so impregnated with gas that it would burn!) I know that this isn't exactly what happened with Katrina and other hurricanes, I guess we were lucky.

Given our lifestyle and the capabilities of our home on wheels, I figure we have a couple weeks worth of water if we watch it, and by tightening our belts a few notches from time to time, probably that much food. After that, we are gonna need some help...

#162885 - 01/13/09 04:01 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
We have always planned for 1 month, due to the potential for a disaster to occur during Winter.

#162902 - 01/13/09 04:51 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: GarlyDog]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Be prepared for even longer, look at the people who lost everything in a hurricane or tornade and had to relocate becaue there was no home to return to. You have to rent an apartment or hotel or somehting and live there.
Short term can even go a week, we had just moved before hurricane Katrina came through and knocked power lines down in our city. Out old neighborhood was without power for 8 days and this is in columbus OH, quite far from hurricane territory.

#162904 - 01/13/09 04:55 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: scafool]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: scafool
Originally Posted By: PC2K
"help arrives" and "back to normal" are complety diffrent things. One of the mayor dangers in mine country is flooding. Help should be arriving in days, but back to normal. Well if the flooding is caused by the rivers; more than a year, before everything is back "normal" again. If the flooding is by the sea, it will take less time, but you will have a lot less time to evacuate. (Days versus hours)

OK, I have to ask.
Why would the damages from the rivers flooding take less time to fix than if the flooding is by the sea?

(edit: And yes, back to normal is much different than help arriving)

It's really a dutch thing. The flooding caused by the sea affects land which is mostly higher than the sea level. So most of the flood water will just run back to sea, naturally. The flooding caused by rivers, will effect land which is deeper than the sea. Which means the dykzones will act like a badtubes. It takes a full day to pump 1 cm...

#162911 - 01/13/09 05:38 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Tjin]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The dyked areas fill up like bathtubs when the rivers overflow.
OK, I understand.

Thanks.

#162970 - 01/13/09 10:24 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: scafool]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: scafool
When you are preparing for a natural disaster or large scale emergency how long do you plan on being stuck before help arrives or things get back to normal?

Is it a few days, a few weeks, a few months,a few centuries or is it longer than that?

Look at how your local services have responded in the past. That can help you get somewhat of a benchmark.

How well folks adapt depend on several things:

How well is one prepped:
If you have enough water for a week. Then a week isn't so bad. If you have enough water for a day. A week is way too long...

Previous experience:
Being without power for one day for some of the younglings is a hardship. Those of us who have gone for a week or more, have a different perspective.

Attitude:
A bad attitude makes everything seem longer. Remember the old adage; "time flies when you're having fun".

Edited by samhain (01/13/09 10:27 PM)

#162975 - 01/13/09 10:54 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: samhain]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"..."time flies when you're having fun"..."

Very true. Which makes having something "fun" along all that more important. Books, deck of cards, toys/games for the kids, etc...

#163002 - 01/14/09 12:16 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: wildman800]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most things? 1-12 hours, 24 at the outside. Storms, powerouts, etc

Edited by TeacherRO (01/14/09 06:27 PM)

#163024 - 01/14/09 01:33 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Most things? 1-112 hours, 24 at the outside. Storms, powerouts, etc

Thats why I posted a recent storm that caused an 8 day power outage in the major city. Our power company sent help to NA as the storm went across land so when it finally hit here they were short staffed.

#163025 - 01/14/09 01:35 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: samhain]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: samhain

Previous experience:
Being without power for one day for some of the younglings is a hardship. Those of us who have gone for a week or more, have a different perspective.

Attitude:
A bad attitude makes everything seem longer. Remember the old adage; "time flies when you're having fun".

Kids like breaking out the camping equipment, hanging lanterns from the ceiling fan in the living room just like they would be from a tent, etc.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.