Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#162789 - 01/13/09 02:47 AM How long do you figure a long time is?
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
When you are preparing for a natural disaster or large scale emergency how long do you plan on being stuck before help arrives or things get back to normal?

Is it a few days, a few weeks, a few months,a few centuries or is it longer than that?

#162805 - 01/13/09 03:32 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I would concur with the general 2 to 2 1/2 week timeline. Beyond that, if things are still bad enough that you haven't been able to get relief one way or another, then it is more than just a temporary situation, and time to implement long term (year or more) life changing survival plans.

Really, like dressing for variably cold climates, it is best to go in layers. Acute, short term survival issues are going to differ greatly in how you respond vs. chronic, long term survival needs. I think preparing to respond at a range of conditions is most appropriate, long term being anything that is going to require self sufficiency for more than 3 weeks. By then you should be converting your MO from "what else is in the bag?" to "what's in the pantry?"

#162817 - 01/13/09 03:52 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
A third vote for 2-3 weeks. Hurricane Ike knocked the power out in areas of Houston for that long. Out-of-state repair crews, rescue workers, and aid stations were on the scene in about two days. Basically most of the US would need to be taken out to prevent such massive aid from rolling to the rescue.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#162820 - 01/13/09 04:10 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Blast]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think the 2-3 week window sounds like a decent idea, but I'd up it to a month with food and water, as much as I could. I like the idea of a little cushion. Moreover, if things are so bad that it looks like it will take more than 3 weeks, the extra gives you some ability and more time to move.

#162822 - 01/13/09 04:45 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Dan_McI]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I would say 2-3 weeks for 'help' of some sort, and potentially hard core "surviving".

But potentially (Katrina anyone??) months of repairing, and living way different than currently... this may be considered "surviving" too, and totally different yet the same wink.

-Todd

#162826 - 01/13/09 05:29 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Todd W]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

"help arrives" and "back to normal" are complety diffrent things. One of the mayor dangers in mine country is flooding. Help should be arriving in days, but back to normal. Well if the flooding is caused by the rivers; more than a year, before everything is back "normal" again. If the flooding is by the sea, it will take less time, but you will have a lot less time to evacuate. (Days versus hours)

#162828 - 01/13/09 05:51 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: Tjin]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: PC2K
"help arrives" and "back to normal" are complety diffrent things. One of the mayor dangers in mine country is flooding. Help should be arriving in days, but back to normal. Well if the flooding is caused by the rivers; more than a year, before everything is back "normal" again. If the flooding is by the sea, it will take less time, but you will have a lot less time to evacuate. (Days versus hours)

OK, I have to ask.
Why would the damages from the rivers flooding take less time to fix than if the flooding is by the sea?

(edit: And yes, back to normal is much different than help arriving)

Edited by scafool (01/13/09 05:55 AM)

#162835 - 01/13/09 07:43 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: scafool]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I expect "help" to arrive in 3 to 5 days. Then the "scariest phrase in the world" is heard, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you".

I expect to see "normal" within 3 to 5 months, or up to 5 years, depending on the nature and severity of the occurrance.

The biggest error, as I see it, is to depend on "the gummint gonna take care of me". I trust what I see, know what I can do, am ready to assist others, but I don't care to have to depend on anyone or any other entity

My two limitations are running water and a certain drug called Baclofen, in it's liquid form, along with the means to administer and the computor required to program the pump. I keep a reserve of Baclofen (pill form) on hand to mitigate any lapses of service. I do have a Plan C but that is not a plan that I want to dwell on.

#162836 - 01/13/09 07:53 AM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Really, like dressing for variably cold climates, it is best to go in layers. Acute, short term survival issues are going to differ greatly in how you respond vs. chronic, long term survival needs. I think preparing to respond at a range of conditions is most appropriate, long term being anything that is going to require self sufficiency for more than 3 weeks. By then you should be converting your MO from "what else is in the bag?" to "what's in the pantry?"

This brings up another set of thoughts that I've been mulling over for awhile. It also deserves a thread of it's own, which I'll start.

#162844 - 01/13/09 12:27 PM Re: How long do you figure a long time is? [Re: wildman800]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I agree that if it goes beyond 2-3 weeks, adjust to long term plans. Be prepared for 2-3 weeks on your own with no resupply (water purification, food, meds).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 307 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.