Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#162791 - 01/13/09 02:51 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: Doug_Ritter]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: sotto
If I could just interrupt this discussion for a brief moment and mention a recent discovery:

In addition to candles as one of humankind's all-time greatest inventions, I would like to add pencils. I like using them cuz, well, I'm a traditionalist at heart, and I like shoving them into my little electric sharpener. A moment ago, a light bulb went off in my head, and I emptied the little catch-tray in the sharpener of it's contents of pencil shavings. It proved to be an excellent tinder. I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone suggesting that as a resource. I imagine a little pile of pencil shavings and some Chapstick, suntan oil, hairspray, paint thinner, lighter fluid, or acetone wipe would make even better tinder.

Back to your previously scheduled programming. cool

Lot of people carry a pencil sharpener in the kit. Works just fine on pencil sized twigs and you can save the pencil for writing.

Yup, and in a jam you could even use the blade from the sharpener for cutting other stuff. grin

#162803 - 01/13/09 03:28 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: sotto]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Ok...no one home and time for kitchen counter experimenting with some of the suggestions in this thread. Draw your own conclusions and do your own testing. I would be interested to see if anyone has different results.

Part # 1
1) Neopsorin (generic brand)

A dollop of cream on a good plate. I could not get this to light no matter how many matches I put to it. Maybe it is because it is the generic type...however it has all the same ingredients as the brand name Neopsorin...

Next up Hand Sanitizer (Thanks Blast, I like it). This one was the best.

It burns with a nice blue flame...and hot.

Next is Vaseline. It would not light on it's own.

However swabbing a couple of Q-Tips with Vaseline works.

The same Q-Tips did not light after they were sprinkled with water.

Mouthwash...had some unknown words on it so I thought I would give it a try...no flames with this though.

Aftershave...some old forgotten bottle of Stetson

It burns hotter then the hand sanitizer.

Back to the Vaseline, This time a bit of old 100% cotton t-shirt was coated and it caught fairly easy.

#162804 - 01/13/09 03:29 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Ok...no one home and time for kitchen counter experimenting with some of the suggestions in this thread.

Part # 2

Rolled / dipped the shirt and Vaseline in some water and wrung any excess and it would not light again.

A candle stub dipped in water for 10 seconds then lit up with one match

Lastly...Hand sanitizer + aftershave + secret ingredient xxxxxxx and secret ingredient xxxxx2 (sorry kids and adult kids, no common household/camping ingredient names will be revealed) makes for one whump of air when lit and has the ability to slightly scorch the underside of the kitchen cabinet, ruin a plate and leave me with singed hair on my right hand...and leaves one sherpadog in the doghouse....all in the name of science and survival skills learning..

Don't try this one at home....ever

#162806 - 01/13/09 03:34 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
The whole time I was reading this, I thought "His wife is going to kick his butt".

RIP OBG

#162814 - 01/13/09 03:47 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Sherpadog,

We have a spare bedroom if you need it for a few days. You'll like it, it smells like gunpowder.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#162815 - 01/13/09 03:48 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: Desperado]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Originally Posted By: Desperado
The whole time I was reading this, I thought "His wife is going to kick his butt".

You beat me to the punch

Mike

#162819 - 01/13/09 04:02 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: Blast]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Blast

We have a spare bedroom if you need it for a few days. You'll like it, it smells like gunpowder.

-Blast

Thanks Blast, I will keep this in mind. The smell of gunpowder would be much more pleasant then the smell of combusted mixed chemicals lingering in the air here. Now I know why I never liked Stetson aftershave. It smells 10 times worse when it is heated up to 600 - 700F....

#162842 - 01/13/09 12:20 PM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Now that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Sherpadog. I will be conducting some tests as well. I will be out of the country for about a month, but when I return I should have some time. The cotton balls with PJ and then dunked was good info. And no, Scafool, I am not looking for what a terrorist can carry on a plane, not that some PJ and cotton would do much to an aircraft except [censored] people off.. I am looking for what is commonly carried anyway and how it can be used. I travel very frequently, and having candles in my pocket with a PSK makes airport security nervous. A small tube of PJ or chapstick is no issue for anyone.

#162848 - 01/13/09 01:22 PM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: kd7fqd]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...You beat me to the punch..."

But, did you beat his wife to the punch???

#162861 - 01/13/09 02:23 PM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: gonewiththewind]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Wow... great thread. My first thought was "fire paste", but that isn't really easily carried as an EDC. Neosporin ointment is one I had not thought of; I have a ton of it in different kits already! And lip balm in the pocket is definitely a good one...

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 164 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.