Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#162507 - 01/12/09 12:26 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: CSG]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Chapstick works on cotton balls and lint for both sparks and flame - it just has to be "fuzzed out" quite a bit. Haven't tried with other tinders but the principles will hold true.

Wick and wax (as in any wick and any wax) will probably ignite. I've been told that earwax works, but I haven't tried that one...yet.

#162518 - 01/12/09 01:59 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: gonewiththewind]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Although PJ works ok, I make my own fire starter from candles, wooden matches, sawdust and cardboard egg cartons

Easy to make.

3 matches cut in 3 pieces each per dozen egg carton...

Put the non-match pieces of the matches and sawdust in each egg carton cup.

Melt candles and pour into the egg cartons until full.

Let harden until almost solid

Insert the ignitable match ends in with the match end barely sticking out of the candle wax.

Let harden overnight then break the egg carton into 12 pieces.

Store in a plastic bag until needed. I keep 4 pieces as such in all my backpacks.

When needed, simply spark up the protruding match heads. These fire starters once lit will burn even in pouring rain on average 5 minutes. Throw some dry pine needles or pine cones on and you will have a good base fire to add to in no time flat.

That being said, If I have access to dry pine needles and pine cones...which can be found under any large pine tree, here is no need for supplemental fire starter.

#162530 - 01/12/09 02:33 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: ]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Idaho
Sounds like a good idea until they sit in a hot car for a few days.

#162531 - 01/12/09 02:38 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: CSG]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

No problem...after 2 summers now in the trunk of the car.

Where I live and travel, it may get to the mid 90's..if we are lucky for a few days, otherwise the high temp is around low 80's in the summer.

#162534 - 01/12/09 02:54 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: ]
sotto Offline
Addict

Actually, my favorite accelerant bar-none is your average can of Zippo lighter fluid. It will set a drinking fountain on fire and it takes up only a small amount of space in pack or pocket.

#162540 - 01/12/09 03:31 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: sotto]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
A little motor oil never hurts, even if you must get a small bit from your motor.

RIP OBG

#162545 - 01/12/09 03:54 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: gonewiththewind]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hand sanitizer!

The plan was this:
1. Wait until dark.
2. Place mostly empty 1-gallon bottle of Purell hand sanitizer (67% ethanol) in the middle of my neighbor's driveway.
3. Drop a lit firecracker into the mostly empty bottle of Purell gelled alcohol.
4. Run out of range of the big, blue fireball I hoped to create.
5. Watch big blue fireball appear.
6. Continue watching as my neighbor runs out of his house to find his driveway engulfed in globs of flames.
7. Have good laugh with neighbor.

The plan was going smoothly up until step #3. It turns out even though the ethanol is gelled it has a very high vapor pressure. This resulted in the empty portion of the bottle being very rich in ethanol vapor.

Translation: the ethanol fumes ignited as soon as the lit fuse of the firecracker came into contact with them. Unfortunatly, the lit firecracker was still in my hand. As soon as the firecracker's burning fuse moved over the bottle's opening a burst of flame shot forth like a jet engine's afterburner. It was really cool, except for the resulting 2nd degree burns on my thumb and first two fingers. It also sped up the rate at which the fuse was burning. Luckily, I'm pretty good at throwing my body out of harm's wa...KABLAMM!!

The fireball turned out to be less spectacular than I expected. Most of the ethanol had been consumed in the first fire. The firecracker mostly just shot really hot, really sticky goo around. Potentially useful, but not very awe-inspiring. My neighbor didn't even come out to see what the noise was.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#162548 - 01/12/09 04:07 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: Blast]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Blast
Hand sanitizer!

The plan was this:
1. Wait until dark.
2. Place mostly empty 1-gallon bottle of Purell hand sanitizer (67% ethanol) in the middle of my neighbor's driveway.
3. Drop a lit firecracker into the mostly empty bottle of Purell gelled alcohol.
6. Continue watching as my neighbor runs out of his house to find his driveway engulfed in globs of flames.

The plan was going smoothly up until step #3. It turns out even though the ethanol is gelled it has a very high vapor pressure. This resulted in the empty portion of the bottle being very rich in ethanol vapor.

Translation: the ethanol fumes ignited as soon as the lit fuse of the firecracker came into contact with them. Unfortunatly, the lit firecracker was still in my hand. As soon as the firecracker's burning fuse moved over the bottle's opening a burst of flame shot forth like a jet engine's afterburner. It was really cool, except for the resulting 2nd degree burns on my thumb and first two fingers. It also sped up the rate at which the fuse was burning. Luckily, I'm pretty good at throwing my body out of harm's wa...KABLAMM!!

The fireball turned out to be less spectacular than I expected. Most of the ethanol had been consumed in the first fire. The firecracker mostly just shot really hot, really sticky goo around. Potentially useful, but not very awe-inspiring. My neighbor didn't even come out to see what the noise was.

-Blast

Seems like someone is still trying to justify his moniker.

#162553 - 01/12/09 05:33 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: Dan_McI]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
Hand sanitizer!

The plan was this:
1. Wait until dark.

-Blast

Seems like someone is still trying to justify his moniker.

This is why sons #1&2 don't know about this website. They are bad enough without help.

Remind me to tell the MRE heater bomb story some day....

RIP OBG

#162563 - 01/12/09 10:25 AM Re: Easy to find and carry accelerant [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Hand sanitizer!

The plan was this:
1. Wait until dark.

-Blast

Lesson 1, never, ever drink hot tea while reading a post from Blast , unless you are willing to wipe the spray from the monitor, desk and keyboard. grin grin

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.