The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162552 - 01/12/09 05:29 AM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: sotto]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
That has happened in Colorado also. Son #1 has a friend (thru travel hockey) who's father was the surgeon who removed the nails.

RIP OBG

#162581 - 01/12/09 01:05 PM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: Desperado]
MedB Offline

(Deleted by author)

Edited by MedB (01/12/09 01:15 PM)

#162586 - 01/12/09 01:27 PM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: MedB]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Not very ethical it would seem to me. Then again, Jack London firmly believed that a 270 Winchester round was adequate for taking Polar ber at range. Go figure.

I believe Napoleon made a rule that any enemy combatant caught with a pneumatic rifle would be summarily executed. They must've been quite effective if he felt that passionately about it.

Having seen what a 45 cal ball will do to inside of 10 yards from a wrist rocket, I've no doubt that a pneumatic is capable of clean one shot kills consistently within prescribed range. I would not hunt a hog or any large game with a 22lr or anything with less energy, unless my life depended on it.

That said, people who hunt big boars with a couple dogs and a knife to me are just about as nuts.

#162612 - 01/12/09 04:05 PM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I'm searching around a bit for air rifles in .22, not for hog hunting, but for smaller game. Came across this video review of a Gamo Whisper CSI with air ram upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiX-a-TLbeM

He seems pretty pumped up about it. Anyone have any experience with this particular model, or have any other model that you would recommend?

#162619 - 01/12/09 04:35 PM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: ]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

You shoot anything in the head it's gonna pretty much die.

Miss by a bit, hit the jaw, and you have an animal that will
starve to death.

Air guns 20 cal and larger are legal for turkey in CA.

If I were to try shooting a pig with something like that,
I would pick the smallest one in the drift. Often there
are sucklings. Then get real close.

The gristle pads on the shoulders of the boars sometimes
stop 30-06 bullets.

Edited by clearwater (01/12/09 04:35 PM)

#162636 - 01/12/09 05:09 PM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: sotto]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...that demo is in poor taste..."

It appears to be just about the same thing you see on any weekend hunting program on TV. Guy shoots gun, target (if hit) falls down dead. Shooter hoots, high fives buddies...

#162637 - 01/12/09 05:13 PM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...You shoot anything in the head it's gonna pretty much die..."

Maybe, maybe not. I know of a deputy sheriff trying to put an injured horse down. .357 mag bounced off of the skull, hit a highway cop, killed him. I have shot injured cattle, if you don't hit the proper part of the skull, you cause a major nose bleed and probably a monster headache, but you don't kill the cow. Lotsa tough skulls out there...

#162645 - 01/12/09 05:42 PM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...You shoot anything in the head it's gonna pretty much die..."

Maybe, maybe not.

You've got that right! Years ago I drove a milk tanker for a living, driving to dairy farms to pick up their milk and run it to the dairy. At one farm, after hooking everything up and starting the pump, I figured I'd go sit in the cab and read a magazine while the pump did it's work. So I'm sitting there when the farmer's two sons pull up in a pickup towing an empty cattle trailer. They then lead a cow into the trailer, turn her around and start back out, stopping where they can close the door of the trailer on the cow's neck, and then jam a piece of 2x4 into the door to hold it in place. I'm sitting there with a puzzled look on my face trying to figure out what they're doing. Well, the one shows up with a .22 bolt action and shoots the cow in the forehead.

Nothing. No effect at all.

He chambers another round and shoots again. This time the cow goes down on her front knees. The other kid starts cutting her throat! At first I was shocked, and then I got angry! I got out and told them to have the decency to kill the poor creature before you start sawing on her, drew my .45 and put a round just above her eyes.
They weren't happy about it saying it would destroy too much meat, but I told them they have the obligation to kill the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible (and that they needed a bigger gun!).

#162653 - 01/12/09 06:06 PM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: snoman]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Cattle are easy. You draw an imiginary line from right ear to left eye, and left ear to right eye. Shoot one inch above where the lines cross. You can do it with a .22. They should have known that. Miss that spot by much and here comes that bloody nose, etc...

#162855 - 01/13/09 01:54 PM Re: Hog hunting with an air rifle? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
Airguns are my main hobby. If you are interested in airguns you might want to check out www.yellowforum.com

Most airgunners will cringe at the mention of the STUNT Gamo pulled killing the pig with a 177 pellet. I guess anything can be killed with a 177 pellet and a lucky shot but it is not practical, repeatable, or ethical. There are big bore airguns made today that are very capable of killing large game but they are in a completely different league as most airguns. I am not into the big bores myself as they are contrary to why I like airguns. I like airguns because they are quieter and safer due to their limited range. Air rifles are ideal weapons for small game. If you read much on the airgun forum site you will realize that airgunners are much more interested in accuracy than power. Shot placement is everything when you are using such a small and lightweight projectile. Lower powered airguns are much easier to shoot accurately. I good mid range airgun to hunt with would be a RWS 34. Another option you might want to consider is the new Crosman Discovery PCP.

Thanks for the chance to share my passion here,

David Enoch

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.