The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162446 - 01/11/09 06:27 PM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: ironraven]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
My Lexan Nalgeen's have never leaked, and they have taken some abuse for sure, including some rather impressive enounters with boulder fields that were at a significantly lower altitude than where I was climbing. Sometimes you are reaching back to clip the biner on the cap loop onto something on your pack, and miss, and then get to see just how strong Lexan is as it bounces down the mountain... It's also a test to see how good your memory is as you try to remember which area of rocks your bottle settled into so you can pick it up when you are on your way back down...

- Ron

#162463 - 01/11/09 08:22 PM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: Tom_L]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Tom_L

Camelbak is another option but I think I'll pass for now. The bite valve is cool. However, I don't see any real need for it myself. I see how it could interfere with some of my other gear and it might be a pain to clean. Besides, I'm a bit wary of adding any more "gadgets" to my setup because they only tend to make life more complicated on the trail in my experience.

I really like the Camelbak bottles for the house and commuting. I find I drink more because it's easier to use the bite valve than it is to open a bottle, less spillage too. I clip a bottle to my work bags (use Griploks on a bag with MOLLE webbing). On the trail I use a Camelbak type plastic resevoir in my pack for drinking water and a 1 qt. plastic GI-type canteen on my belt for cooking, washing, etc. My only complaint with the hydration bags is re-filling them. Blackhawk makes a filler tube that has faucet connection with a quick disconect valve so you don't have to open the pack to re-fill.

Let us know what you decide!

Andy

#162480 - 01/11/09 09:53 PM Nalgene Oasis? [Re: Andy]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
I haven't tried this yet, but what about a Nalgene Oasis?

#162492 - 01/11/09 11:15 PM Re: Nalgene Oasis? [Re: ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Here is one I love, and it is hard to find. A sigg flask nested into a stainless steel cup. It is oval shaped (more flat than round) so it fits in a pocket fairly well. It is much easier to carry than the round ones if you are not carrying a backpack.

Sigg Black Oval Flask with Cup

http://www.gearforadventure.com/Sigg_Black_Oval_Flask_with_Cup_p/1557.htm

It always seems that I like the things that don't sell well and they always stop making my favorite items.

#162497 - 01/11/09 11:47 PM Re: Nalgene Oasis? [Re: gonewiththewind]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I bookmarked that oasis. Very nice for a future buy.

#162502 - 01/12/09 12:10 AM Re: Nalgene Oasis? [Re: ZenEngineer]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I think it was a casualty of the BPA scare.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#162519 - 01/12/09 02:09 AM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: Tom_L]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Call me cheap...or practical. For water storage, I simply re-use 710 ML Powerade bottles. They are free from work, have a wide enough lid to get most ice-cubes into and can be easily carried (multiple) in backpacks, jacket pockets etc. If we drop and break one...no worries there, lots more where they came from.

For longer trips, the 1.5L corner /grocery store water bottles that consumers waste their money on also work great.

#162538 - 01/12/09 03:26 AM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: Tom_L]
bmisf Offline

Definitely check out the Platypus bottles. I have 1L and 2L bottles, and a hydration hose plus the spout caps, and they're great. They are durable, they weigh next to nothing, and they're relatively inexpensive. When they're not full of water you can fold or roll them up and pack them away.

I've used mine for all manner of hiking, backpacking, snow camping, and backcountry adventures, and never had a problem.

#162544 - 01/12/09 03:51 AM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: bmisf]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Yeah I have one of those Platypus 1L in my EDC pack. They are good.

#162554 - 01/12/09 05:34 AM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: comms]
Homer Offline
Antithetic

Loc: Sacramento, CA
What about a British or Nato style canteen like the Crusader Integral Survival Unit from BCB?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.