The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#162630 - 01/12/09 05:03 PM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: Homer]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Here are a few of my points in no particular order...

I'm another one of the converts to the guyot designs stainless steel bottles (http://www.guyotdesigns.com/stainlessbottles?sc=11).

1) They are milled and ROCK-SOLID 18/10 surgical grade stainless. I'm convinced someone will inherit them when I'm long gone.

2) I have a variety of pouches and especially like the insulated nalgene bottle covers made by Outdoor Research. They cost a bit, but I have some I use daily that have withstood YEARS (15-20) of abuse. They insulate well. It's often nice in the field to pop the bottle I loaded and still have a bit of ice after 6 hours in a HOT car and 95+ outside! REI bought Outdoor Research years ago and the carriers have undergone at least two design changes. I like the earlier models with webbing loop best now. When I first got them, I thought velcro would be better. Fast forward 10+ years and I was in an REI while traveling and bought some with the velcro loops. They're ok...better for some stuff, but I find overall I like the performance of the solid/sewn webbing better. The only thing that REI seems to have on the webpage now is this one

(http://www.rei.com/product/770795) but it is yet another change and I can't speak to having used them. I don't think I like the zipper up near the top however I do like the mesh pouch.

3) I use the standard bottle.

I bought a couple of backpacker models and on several tests in a vehicle and on inclines, and a variety of other unstable situations, while the backpacker tapered bottles did OK, the standard was much more stable. The standard is the size of a 32 oz nalgene, can be used with anything you can use on a nalgene, and holds 38 oz. I have even used them with Olicamp Space Saver cups. One word on this...the SS Olicamp cups will work, but just barely. When you have some considerable temp changes or condensation you get a bit of temporary vaporlock...I can live with that.

4) Because I carry more than just water, or carry for long periods, cleanliness in PARAMOUNT. It's a heck of a lot easier to clean a wide-mouth bottle...and be SURE it is clean. So I'm not a fan of narrow-mouthed water carriers be they canteens, sigg bottles, or even camelbacks. I figure I've got enough problems without GI issues I bring onto myself.

5) In a pinch the SS guots can be pressed into service for cooking (even though the disclaimer says "not for use with hot liquids). Of course one shouldn't seal up with boiling water. Nothing says I can't cook in an open container.

6) I've utterly destroyed thin-walled bottles, don't like aluminum for drinking water anyways, and find there is far less of a bottle-taste with these than anything I've ever used. Again...I use bottles every day, all day, and have for 20 years.

7) You won't be traveling microlight with SS bottles. I make the allowance for durability. However, if you're backpacking, you might want to go with lighter options. The weight on the standard bottle is 12.3 oz.

8) I do keep drinking sraws in my bottles. It makes things easy when my hands are covered in something I don't want to drink, and helps me not splash all over myself when driving in bumpy conditions.

9) My backpacker model has a good deal more clearance in the Oliphant SS cups and makes rattling noises under bouncy conditions. I'm not a fan of the noise so it also makes the case for me to use the standard size.

10) If you ever ruin a top, the tops from nalgenes will work.

11) They're not for the budget-minded unless you're willing to save and buy quality...or wait for a sale. They will however last a lifetime. As someone who has actually broken nalgene lexan bottles as well as other offerings they make in the 32 oz size, I'll take the durability of the SS.

I don't work for or receive consideration from guyot, but I guess I have become something of a convert. Plus buying stuff I'll never have to replace appeals to me.

Edited by yeti (01/12/09 05:19 PM)

#162794 - 01/13/09 02:58 AM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Nothing wrong with that. I used 20oz soda bottles with my old ALICE and LL Bean Continental Ruck- two of them fit into a pocket designed to hold one USGI canteen. Same weight filled, with 25% more water. *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#162795 - 01/13/09 02:59 AM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: yeti]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
They say not to use them with hot liquids becuase they are a single walled bottle. Put hot liquids in them and they get... well, hot. If people can't realize that coffee is hot...

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#162841 - 01/13/09 12:08 PM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: ironraven]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Thanks for all the responses! I've looked into a number of options but all things considered (especially simplicity, durability, carry options and $) I bought a 1L Lexan water bottle (to keep inside the backpack) and ordered a new 1qt GI canteen. The real deal straight from the source so it should be all right. If not, I'll be really mad. smile I'll also be getting a new thermos some time soon.

#163838 - 01/19/09 02:12 PM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: Tom_L]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
BTW, I made a mistake above. The blue bottle parka that I showed is an "Outdoor Products" version. The one I meant to show was the "Outdoor Research" version as they were the first (and IMHO best). They can be found on the OR site here:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/water_bottle_parka.html

Here is the pic:

#163923 - 01/20/09 01:49 AM Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I carried (and still have somewhere) a USGI Stainless steel canteen for years and years. I really liked it better than the newer plastics, altho I have some of them too. I have never had a problem with my plastics leaking. The SS would leak on occasion, I would just cut a new cork "gasket" for the cap and no more leaks. Neat thing about the SS canteen is that, if you remove the cap, you can heat water in it...

I actually carry the canteen my dad had in Korea. I do need to replace the seal in the lid as it leaks, but just slightly. Not bad after all of these years.

I also have a canteen cup that nestles underneath it.

Love it for heating up water.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.