Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162169 - 01/09/09 07:27 PM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: JohnE]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Originally Posted By: JohnE
Hmmm...why not drive the whole 6 miles very carefully home, then back to the garage the next day and walk to work, after car is repaired, walk over and pick it up?

JohnE

You beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing. Or even catch a ride from a co-worker back to the shop. Unless of course it was one of those "what the heck, let's go for it" decisions to test yourself. Either way, a decent way to check your planned route home. I have a lot more gear in my car than I could probably carry, and would have to choose what was applicable for the given scenario.

#162173 - 01/09/09 07:38 PM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: JohnE]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I used to have this happen to me with my last car. I got very proficient at using a 2ft length of paracord to tie the door shut from the inside! I'd wrap it around the B post and go through my open window at the top of the door. By the time I drove 10 minutes it would thaw out enough that the door would close.

#162198 - 01/09/09 11:01 PM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: Matt26]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Bingo- the head phones are so you don't have to listen jailbait talking trash at eachother. *shudders* I weep for the next generation.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#162200 - 01/09/09 11:05 PM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: el_diabl0]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I'm ruling out it being the door frozen. If it was, (a) the lock pin would probably go up and down as the electric switch worked the mechanism, and (b) I wouldn't be able to flip the catch into the closed position with a pen, and with the door handles closed, be able to flick it open.

That, and the fact that it has been doing really stupid stuff like stalling as soon as it is put into gear when it has been idling means it was time for a trip to the doctor.

As for why I walked- I wasn't thinking clearly. I was annoyed, and feeling stubborn after putting up with really stupid people all day.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#162218 - 01/10/09 02:11 AM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: ironraven]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: ironraven

As for why I walked- I wasn't thinking clearly. I was annoyed, and feeling stubborn after putting up with really stupid people all day.

Sometimes a good walk helps one to think clearly.

RIP OBG

#162255 - 01/10/09 04:50 AM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Maybe I`m missing something... but if the door is securely closed be it not a latch but why do you have to "drive so slow" as you did? It makes no sense to me? I`ve driven 2+hrs with my jeep door wired shut, and also stuck in the shut position (different times obviously).

I don't really see how this is a bug-out at all?

Sorry but it sounds like you were unprepared to properly secure your vehicle door ????

what's scary driving home... and is reason to go slow and be super cautious? Missing brakes on one SIDE of your front end... talk about pulling. Rest of brakes work 100% probably 125% their normally stopping power... but it pulls so you have to gradually slow down and stay back so you don't have to use brakes hard, and also know to correct a bit... Also scary driving home is with a bent pitman arm and you can only turn 3/4 steering wheel turn to one side.... no u-turns, no sharp maneuvers but you can change lanes and such. These seem to be possible reasons to bug-out yours.... I think you are over exaggerating.

#162257 - 01/10/09 05:00 AM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: Todd W]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
eek that sounded harsh i apologize man didnt mean it to come across like that.

#162259 - 01/10/09 05:22 AM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: ironraven]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: ironraven

Meh, you had a pleasant 2 hour walk and you stopped for lunch on the way.
It likely did you a lot of good.
How many blocks is six miles in your city anyhow?
If it happens again grab a stick and see if that dog knows how to play fetch.

#162263 - 01/10/09 05:44 AM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: ToddW
Maybe I`m missing something... but if the door is securely closed be it not a latch but why do you have to "drive so slow" as you did? It makes no sense to me? I`ve driven 2+hrs with my jeep door wired shut, and also stuck in the shut position (different times obviously).

I don't really see how this is a bug-out at all?

Sorry but it sounds like you were unprepared to properly secure your vehicle door ????

what's scary driving home... and is reason to go slow and be super cautious? Missing brakes on one SIDE of your front end... talk about pulling. Rest of brakes work 100% probably 125% their normally stopping power... but it pulls so you have to gradually slow down and stay back so you don't have to use brakes hard, and also know to correct a bit... Also scary driving home is with a bent pitman arm and you can only turn 3/4 steering wheel turn to one side.... no u-turns, no sharp maneuvers but you can change lanes and such. These seem to be possible reasons to bug-out yours.... I think you are over exaggerating.

I grew up in a small town with a kid who's car could only turn left. If we left town for a movie we had to take my car. For graduation his parents gave him the parts to fix it.

RIP OBG

#162264 - 01/10/09 05:51 AM Re: Work-to-home bug out, not a drill but not a da [Re: Desperado]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Desperado

I grew up in a small town with a kid who's car could only turn left.

NASCAR?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.