Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#137279 - 06/23/08 01:51 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...magazines which cause loading problems..."

The magazine is the root of all evil in most semi-auto misfeeds, which is why you should always have at least one spare readily available. And if we are talking a self defense weapon, practice rapid reloads...

#137284 - 06/23/08 02:02 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: SwampDonkey]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

It seems to me that firearms using the simple .22 are a finicky lot, at least usually. After a "break in" period of about 200 to 500 rounds they mellow out quite a bit. When I first purchased my ruger MK II with a bull barrel for about 1/2 the retail cost I was overjoyed. Then to my dismay it didn't like anything I put in it. Fired 2 or 3 times and a jam. I finally lucked out and found a round it liked (sorry can't remember what it was) and finally got it to run about 95% of the time. After 250 (5 boxes) rounds of the stuff it runs all the time with no problems aside from ammo related issues. I tend to buy 500 round bulk "milk cartons" now so sometimes the heads get a little bent and cause feed issues or I will have one that the primer has gone to hell and won't go off.
Be patient, if the first batch won't shoot reliable, try a different one. Play around with what the bullets actually are i.e., round nose, flat nose, hard lead, soft lead, jacketed, hollow point. Also try different bullet weights and grain charges. Keep a list of what doesn't work and what does. I suspect in time it will be able to handle most, if not all of what is out there given time to break in. Patience is key.
Welcome to a fun and addicting past time Hacksaw, enjoy laugh

-Bill Liptak

#137290 - 06/23/08 02:22 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...magazines which cause loading problems..."

The magazine is the root of all evil in most semi-auto misfeeds, which is why you should always have at least one spare readily available. And if we are talking a self defense weapon, practice rapid reloads...

I ordered 2 extras right off the bat for a total of 4. You can get high capacity mags but they, like the scope, won't fit in the stock.

#137330 - 06/23/08 07:58 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: camerono]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I have a Henry AR-7, while it's a fun little rifle that's been reliable, it wouldn't be my first choice if I really needed to depend on having a rifle. The build quality and design just doesn't feel that great, and I have heard enough about reliability issues to not trust it. Of course, I knew about all the issues before even buying it, but i chose to buy it anyway just becaues I liked it.

If I really needed to depend on having a rifle, rather than having to worry about questionable redundant rifles, I would try and make sure my primary rifle is as reliable as I can make it, and it's just better to start off with a more reliable base than the AR-7 than to try and modify the AR-7 into something it's not. It would be like spending tens of thousands of dollars to make a Yugo into a sports car, when for the same price or less you could have just gone out and buy one.

IMO, the only reason you'd choose the AR-7 over anything else is because of the light weight and compactness. The main selling point for most people is the ability to take down the reciever and barrel to store it in the stock. Take away that feature, and you might as well get a 10/22 with a collasible stock which is just a better rifle all around. And if you're gonna carry another barrel and reciever, you might as well just carry another rifle, it wouldn't be adding much more weight. That kinda goes back to the first argument, if you've got the space and ability to carry two rifles, why not just carry a better one to begin with?

Originally Posted By: cameron2trade

With all due respect I find it unreasonable to have to try tens of different brands of amuniton and "alterations" to get a firearm to perform at a minimal level. I don't recall reading in the manual that performance is at my own risk. (I already own a slingshot) I expect with the unique nature of this rifle that problems are inharent. ENOUGH SAID I have yet to receive on my (registered) rifle any notice of problems. Is it really too much to expect the AR-7 to feed amunition reliably? Really? How does Henry qualify this?

If you having trouble with the AR-7's, a common fix would be to polish the feedramp, or chamfer the end of the barrel on the early versions without the chamfer. Ideally, everything should already work straight out of the box, but then again this is a cheap rifle with an unusual design, some people just live with the short comings just because there is currently no other option. Even thousand dollar semi custom guns sometimes have problems right out of the box that need some minor tweaking to make work, but as you go lower and lower on the price scale the problems are more common. And with the AR-7, you're basically at the very bottom of that scale.

I'm lucky that I haven't had any problems (yet), but if I did it's a pretty simple rifle to work on.

#137334 - 06/23/08 08:18 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ducktapeguy]
priest Offline
Stranger

Hacksaw.

Another thing to consider is that every firearm has a "breaking in" period just like new boots or a new engine. After the first few hundred rounds you will notice that the rifle(should) work smoother and with less snags.

Solid lead ammo not only feeds less reliably in most semi-auto .22 rifles, but it fouls the hell out of them. If you use lead ammo I would suggest you get a good wire(not plastic) bore brush and some good solvent cleaner. Things like your action will gum up fairly quickly using solid lead ammo as well so a good field cleaning kit will pay off big time to aid in keeping it firing. This may be just as important as any spare part if you intend it as a survival rifle.

Just my take

#137338 - 06/23/08 09:28 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: priest]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Thanks priest...that's good to know.

I was actually wondering about lead fouling (is that the right term for it?) and was planning on picking up some jacketed (or similar) ammo to start out with...as well as some good cleaning supplies.

#137342 - 06/23/08 10:09 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Some folks never clean their 22's and still get good accuracy.

I think it depends on the rifle.

#137543 - 06/25/08 03:19 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

I am new to the survival arena (outside of my military training) and looking into it on a personal level. One of the things I looked for was a weapon I could take w/ me that was light, portable, and reliable. I have a sidearm, but wanted something I could use for hunting small animals (or the occasional larger one). I looked at the AR-7 and other collapsible rifles and went w/ the Kel-Tec Su-16. It provided me w/ different models to choose from, ammunition that is readily available, and simple in its design. It is collapsible to about 21 in. and can mostly fit in a pack if desired. Being the .223 round, it packs a bit more punch than a .22. It is very accurate at the distance one might need in an emergency/survival scenario.

There is already a review here by Doug Ritter and if anyone wants to get more information, there is a user group located here . I encourage anyone interested to give it a look.

Edited by Bill_G (06/25/08 03:21 AM)

#137566 - 06/25/08 10:31 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Bill_G]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I've been looking at the Hi-Points.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/40_carbine.asp

#137569 - 06/25/08 11:27 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Nishnabotna]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

My brother has a HiPoint in 9mm, loves it. Has decent accuracy. The Tampa (Florida) Police Dept. Actually ok'd them for personal purchase for agency carry 4 or 5 years ago and a LOT of officers picked them up. Personally I dislike the HiPoint brand of firearms as they tend to end up in the wrong hands (85% of gun traces at the shop I used to work at were for the HiPoints. Needless to say florida ammo traders no longer carries this firearm nor will order it. If they have one in stock its because of a trade.) The pistols are sometimes an "iffy" affair, but the carbines are surprisingly reliable.

-Bill Liptak

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 346 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.