Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#162077 - 01/09/09 05:47 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: oldsoldier]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Jeeps need ammo cans to feel loved. In my '78 CJ-7, I have the tools stowed in a 9"x10x22" ammo can that used to carry 81mm rounds. It's a wonderful box. The problem is, when I go over some trails around here that are mostly volcanic rubble, it's like a monkey is sitting behind me gleefully smashing two frying pans together. I have got to find a way to strap that thing down.

I've been drooling over those seat covers as well but right now I feel I should stick with my sheepskin covers.

As for things to consider adding to your equipment, I have been thinking about adding 2 things to my own equipment that you haven't listed (though you may have). First is a 2nd battery system and the other is a a SPOT or PLB.

Other threads and Doug's reviews have addressed those in some detail so I won't go on about each device. However, a couple of weeks ago, I was on a solo trip through some of the more foresaken parts of New Mexico. Thanks to some inattention while trying get something to drink while trying to shift, I stalled and then flooded my engine. Though I was only a 10-15 mile rocky hike back to a well patrolled road, I had a few minutes to think about how it might have been nice to have a SPOT if I could never get the thing started and how nice it would have been to have a 2nd battery in case the main battery failed while trying to start a flooded engine.

I also carry some survey tape which can be written upon to leave messages for people trying to find or follow your trail.

Finally, I also carry a large tarp to serve most importantly as a sun shade -- critical in the desert -- and also to make me more visible from the air.

#162537 - 01/12/09 03:14 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: Yuccahead]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I've updated the bag a bit more, removed some things and added others. I threw in a cheap Walmart 8'x10' blue tarp until I get an Equinox 8'x10' tarp to keep in there.

Also I removed the pen, 2 of the contractor bags, one of the flashlights (leaves me with one penlight LED and one micro keychain compass/thermometer/LED), the 12 water rations (still have 4-20 ounce bottles of water). I have a 32-ounce wide-mouth Nalgene bottle on the way to replace the canteen (be able to store things inside the Nalgene bottle to save space, plus it'll be lighter).

Yuccahead - My tools rattle around a little too, I just consider it part of owning a Jeep.

#162618 - 01/12/09 04:33 PM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
When you get your new tarp, check to see how much sun comes through. Where I live, I would keep carrying the blue tarp. There are no trees here that could provide total shade.

I had the pleasure of riding in a 2007 Jeep over the same bumpy trail that I took my '78 CJ on just a few weeks ago. The difference in ride smoothness was amazing. The newer Jeep was a 4-door Rubicon with stock suspension and tires. Not only was the ride smoother, but we made the same trip in about 75% of the time since we didn't have to slow down as much for the smaller ruts. I need a new Jeep.

Also, I took some bungee cords and wrapped them around my tool box so that they would serve as some cushion between the metal box and the metal floor of the jeep and I think it will help a lot.

#163191 - 01/15/09 12:26 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: Yuccahead]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

I replaced my canteen with a 32 ounce Nalgene wide mouth bottle. I also ordered a Thermo-Lite II bivvy sack, an Equinox sleeping pad, and 6 Vargo titanium ultralight stakes yesterday.

And I'm upgrading the Walmart blue tarp I had put in there to a Silnylon one thanks to OldSoldier having a spare one laying around. The bag is coming along pretty nicely in my opinion, I may have to break down and update the original post to reflect what's in there now.

#163287 - 01/15/09 04:34 PM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: ironraven]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: ironraven

Maps, even if it is just a Delorme atlas

Hey, not a bad idea. Even one for the entire US, based on every state, would be way better than nothing...

#163340 - 01/15/09 11:57 PM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: jdavidboyd]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
With the DeLormes, the trick is to be razor happy with them- the covers, the in-town maps in the back, the touristy stuff, get rid of it. The rest gets stowed in a reinforced freezer bag or two.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#181878 - 09/10/09 04:08 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: ironraven]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Updating the thread with pics, bag is still a work in progress. I figured since I posted pics on ZS, I should here too.

Adding pics - I know a lot of this stuff isn't high-dollar or Tacticool, but it's what I had on hand at the time and it's all getting upgraded as time goes on. The bag is a lot larger than the pictures make it look. It holds all this easily, with room to spare.

The bag - HSLD 3-day combat (AKA Voodoo Tactical Tobago)

The only thing that's on the outside of the bag - an LED flashlight/compass/thermometer zipper pull.

Water bottle pockets on the sides:

2 - 20-ounce bottles of water

1 - Gallon Ziplock bag
200 - water purification tablets
coffee filters
1 - 32-ounce widemouth Nalgene

Contents of the Nalgene:

1 - bottle hand sanitizer
25 - waterproof matches in matchsafe with 2 strikers
1 - StarFlash Ultra signal mirror
1 - lighter
duct tape rolled around pencil
signal whistle
magnesium fire starter
knife sharpener
thermometer/compass zipper pull
wire saw
6 - "AAA" batteries (in medicine bottle)

Lower (fanny-pack position) outer pocket:

2 - ponchos
3 - space blankets
LED flashlight (crappy, need to buy a better one)
sewing kit (needles, thread, safety pins)
fishing kit (6-lb test line, hooks, lead, Rooster Tail, 3 worms)
compass
Sharpie
LED penlight
disposable wipes

Outer top pocket:

first aid kit (has been added to a little, needs a lot more)
spare sunglasses (I can't stand squinting)

Middle top pocket:

Small, medium, and large zipties

Main large pocket:

boonie hat
ThermoLite II bivvy sack
roll of toilet paper
2 pair socks
underwear
long underwear
gloves
fleece hat (need to add more clothing)

3 - 9-hour candles
Buck camp axe
Cold Steel Recon Tanto
6 - 20-ounce bottles of water

#181879 - 09/10/09 04:11 AM Re: New member - my SHTF bag [Re: 2005RedTJ]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Col Steel Recon Tanto closeup

personal hygiene kit (razor, soap, shampoo, etc...)
coffee can of food stuff
2 - MRE entrees
titanium tent stakes
8 - granola bars
50' - OD 550 cord
50' - white 550 cord

contents of coffee can:

21 - Mainstay rations
1 - MRE entree
4 - packs Tapatio hot sauce (free, so I threw it in)
3 - spoons
3 - packs Texas Pete hot sauce (free, so I threw it in)
2 - instant coffee
3 - hot beverage bags
3 - MRE heaters

Back of backpack, thin pocket:

3 - contractor bags (quick makeshift tent)
paper towels
aluminum foil
FM 21-76 Survival Manual

EDC stuff:

Taurus Millenium Pro .45acp (10+1)
lighter
extra magazine (10)
multi-tool
knife

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.