Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#161696 - 01/07/09 02:54 AM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: Desperado]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Excellent!! I'm glad they found a good place to be.

Even if I still think that a tiger in kevlar and sheild would have a strong deterrent effect.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#161704 - 01/07/09 04:17 AM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: ironraven]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Excellent!! I'm glad they found a good place to be.

Even if I still think that a tiger in kevlar and sheild would have a strong deterrent effect.

Or maybe a S.W.A.T. Monkey????

RIP OBG

#161807 - 01/07/09 11:02 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: Desperado]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Monkey, maybe, for placing cameras and the like.

I'm thinking that if a tac team sent in the TacCat, there would be a few screams, some growling, and a request for toothpicks. smile The second time, they'd come out...

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#161855 - 01/08/09 02:27 AM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: ironraven]
Jakam
Unregistered

When I lived in AZ, I actually saw a Coyote chase a Roadrunner- it was dawn on Old Spanish Trail in Tucson. I nearly wet myself laughing.

We used to note- there are few stray cats in Tucson. But plenty of hair filled scat.

#161903 - 01/08/09 02:41 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
That idiot mom, I sure hope someone reported the coyote chase to authorities. Coyotes chasing humans, even small ones, and especially where big humans are around, seems to me to be rather unusual. Could be the coyote was just curious, could be something was wrong, very wrong.

As a rule, wild animals that don't act wary of humans, especially ones that are much smaller than a full grown human, would have me suspicious about maybe having rabies or some such. In any case, she should've made it a point to tell someone in authority, rather than leave to some other poor sod to deal with. Irresponsible and self-centered actions.

Yes, we have coyotes in our neighborhood, big ones. They might come after my puppy or the neighbor's cat, but not if I or anyone else in the hood is nearby. They watch us close, and if we even act like we are going for a gun they bolt. Maybe this one knew better, but coyotes going after humans in a place where other humans are just don't seem right regardless of the setting.

#161917 - 01/08/09 03:37 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: benjammin]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
It doesn't sound good. Every coyote I have encountered has run away long before I got close.

Two local coyotes "play" with our German Shepherds along the fence. They all run back and forth yipping at each other. Having been around dogs my whole life, it looks like play to me. I don't worry about it much. They all seem to get board after a half hour or so and then sit around looking at each other for another half hour. Then the coyotes walk away. The coyotes usually come around if I leave the dogs out for more than an hour.

The coyotes always run away if they see me. I guess it is a "Dogs Only" game.

#162075 - 01/09/09 05:39 AM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: GarlyDog]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Tahoe is a very crowded place. I'm sure many people who live there feed the coyotes, either deliberately or by leaving garbage, cats or small dogs available for them. Coyotes who have been raised near people like this see people as a source of food (indirectly, anyway) and sometimes don't really seem to fear them an awful lot. I knew a woman who finally stopped feeding them when she started finding one repeatedly sleeping on the chaise lounge on her patio every night, waiting for breakfast to be served.

If it was rabid, it isn't too likely that it would have been scared off.

Coyotes tend to travel in family packs until the kids go out on their own.

“There needs to be a warning out there. Some people from the Bay Area thought they could approach them and pet them. They look like little fluffy foxes.”

YIKES!

Who skis wearing a cowboy hat???

Sue

#162140 - 01/09/09 05:42 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
"Who skis wearing a cowboy hat???"

Come to Colorado and you'll see plenty. Some even do the Papa Munz routine (vis a vis the guy who got his picture taken hanging upside down on the ski lift).

#162147 - 01/09/09 06:10 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: benjammin]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was just home from the military. My decidely Yuppie community began finding the gruesome remains of cats 'ritually placed' along the greenway bordering the Golf course.A lady claimed to see 13 black robed satanists with candles walking along the ridge at night. A police pathologist examioned the remains and declared a 'person skilled in anatomical dissection with acccess to hospital tools did the gruesome deed.'
Men with handguns began pulling over teenagers and raiding the local lover's viewpoint, demanding to know who the satanists were at Westlake High School and forever traumatising many a teenager's future love life.
A newly graduated Ventura County deputy, of proud chicano stock attended a local Junior college class on 'the occult' and was declared that agency's 'expert' on the local covens.
Finally, F&G looked at the remains and the local officer ( pulled from a long investigation in the nearby forest tracking down a marijuana farm killing every pot chewing deer he could see) examined the foresnsic evidence, looked once and said 'yup, coyote' set some live traps and soon took out what is still a record sized,very fat male with several cat remains inside him.
Shortly thereafter, THE AKASHIC RECORD New Age bookstore and channeling parlour with coffeeshoppe opened and scientologists began knocking on my door late at night.
As my late horse friend, Mr Richard Widmark remarked " this used to be a nice quiet place to escape Los Angeles, and damned if Los Angeles hasn't shown up on my front porch.'

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (01/09/09 06:16 PM)

#162160 - 01/09/09 06:42 PM Re: coyote after skier? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Coyote is a brush wolf?
I was always more worried by stray dogs.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.