The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160710 - 12/31/08 04:55 PM Re: Zippo [Re: neurotik]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Funny enough and not sure if anyone remembers this, but zippo came out with a flashlight insert for the classic zippo about 15 years ago. I bought one and still have it. It was a weak bulb but novel for what it did. It would be great if they did one with an LED bulb today.

I had read on ETS about putting a piece of rubber from a bike tire around the fuel insert before putting it back in the casing. This ostensibly to limit or stop some evaporation and make a more water resistant container.

I couldn't get it to work. The rubber was too thick to fit it into the case while around the fuel insert. Tried stretching around the whole length and then just a 1/4 inch strip around the top. No go.

#160768 - 01/01/09 01:16 AM Re: Zippo [Re: comms]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Comms, iirc you take the insert put it in the lighter, close the lighter and place the band around the joint between the top and bottom half of the lighter to seal the fluid in.

#160777 - 01/01/09 06:43 AM Re: Zippo [Re: RayW]
comms Offline
Veteran

Oooh, it not inside between the insert and casing it is wrapped around the casing over the seam created by the lid.

#161808 - 01/07/09 11:03 PM Re: Zippo [Re: Desperado]
Markok765 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Desperado
[quote=kevingg] ...so you can stay on top of keeping it filled... [quote]

I bet its fun, especially in the summer, when that overfilled Zippo is in your front pocket.

I've never had that happen. I fill it until the wick drips, then burn it for a min or so, and its fine.

#161846 - 01/08/09 01:50 AM Re: Zippo [Re: Markok765]
comms Offline
Veteran

I carried my zippo in my front pocket and got my pants soaked. Not long after I felt an itch on my thigh. Then it got worse and started to feel like a burn.

Eventually I removed my pants to find a bright red burn on my thigh. The water displaced the fluid in the zippo and it seeped out onto my leg.

#161848 - 01/08/09 01:54 AM Re: Zippo [Re: comms]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Doesn't even have to be water. Only overfilling it will produce the same result. Not something to have happen if you are far from a change of clothes. Seems the fluid will evaporate from the lighter, but not the pants.

RIP OBG

#161862 - 01/08/09 02:55 AM Re: Zippo [Re: comms]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: comms
I carried my zippo in my front pocket and got my pants soaked. Not long after I felt an itch on my thigh. Then it got worse and started to feel like a burn.

Eventually I removed my pants to find a bright red burn on my thigh. The water displaced the fluid in the zippo and it seeped out onto my leg.

Yes, I have had that happen once or twice. Usually in the summer.
It even warns you on the container about skin contact.
Lighter Fluid is Naptha with Benzene, and you can become sensitized to it.
Naptha is the same thing as Coleman camp fuel. I use naptha in a couple of my camping stoves. When camping out I normally have one of those stoves with me and the fuel, so fuel for the Zippo is present anyhow.
Benzene is a known carcinogen, that should not surprise anybody, right(?).
http://pages.slc.edu/~aschultz/chemical_hygiene/MSDS/theater%20msds/LIGHTER%20FLUID.PDF

I try not to overfill the lighter and carry it upright in either my jeans watch pocket or my overalls watch pocket.
That at least put a few layers of thicker clothing between me and it. When camping it can ride either in my pocket or the pack.

I sometimes worked in refineries and they don't allow bic lighters because they have had people light themselves up with them.
It is kind of hard to explain that, but they were by accidents and not deliberate.
The problem is the Bic can have the valve pressed down when in a pocket and fill up a pair of coveralls with butane.
One spark and it is "Poof!" a crispy welder!
You use a sparker, wooden safety matches or Zippo style lighters inside the refinery, if you need to carry something to light stuff with.
Only sparkers are allowed for lighting cutting torches, no lighters.

The fact the bic can have the valve pressed by accident is why I don't like them lying around loose or in a pack.
I have had too many brand new empty bicks when backpacking.
There are plenty of good refillable and disposable butane lighters that don't have this problem.

#161863 - 01/08/09 02:55 AM Re: Zippo [Re: Andy]
RedLeader Offline
Stranger

Highly reccommend Zippo lighters!!! Yes I also carry a disposalbe butane -- but it is "mechanical" and can fail. In the 35 years of carrying a Zippo, it has never failed. I keep a bottle of lighter fluid in the glove box of my pick up and top the zippo off every few times I go into the wood to make sure the evaporative loss isn't a problem. I also keep an extra flint tucked away in the bottom of the lighter ( just pull it apart in the upside down position and the flint will be on top of the cotton wick material -- squirt in some fluid and then place the cover back down on the lighter and presto, set to go. I also carry a handful of wooden stick matches inside a vacumn seal pouch --use my wife's kitchen vacumn food sealer --works great!

#161868 - 01/08/09 03:39 AM Re: Zippo [Re: Andy]
RedLeader Offline
Stranger

I love my Ziipo --- about 30years old!!!
Still also carry a cheap disposable butane, but thier failure rate is way to high to not carry a Zippo ( and matches) too. Carry wooden stick matched in a seal plastic pouch I make from my wife's kitchen food vacumn sealler--never leaks and lasts for years!

Yes, Zippos do lose fluid due to evaporation. I keep a can a fluid in my pick up and squirt a little into the Zippo every few times I go into the woods. Also, if you hold it upside down and pull the outer sleeve up off it, you can store extra flints on top of the wick material so as to never be without a spark!

#161884 - 01/08/09 08:53 AM Re: Zippo [Re: RedLeader]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
IMHO ZIPPO lighters are not very suitable for EDC due to the well known problems re leakage and evaporation.

I keep a number of ZIPPOS without fuel, and also some well sealed cans of lighter fuel, these are long term preps for a future in which matches and butane lighters may be in short supply, but not for EDC whilst times are normal.

For EDC I have more faith in butane lighters and waterproof matches.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.