Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#161945 - 01/08/09 06:04 PM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: benjammin]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Kinda reminds me of the end of the movie "Escape to LA". When I think of everything suddenly going back 100+ years, I get a warm cozy feeling. All I need is a good excuse to abandon all this techno crap.

Of course, then I remember that without it, I wouldn't be able to read and write all these wonderful posts then.

Might actually force people to talk to one another. Then again, millions of people in NYC go daily not talking to anyone on the street.

#161948 - 01/08/09 06:53 PM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: ki4buc]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Thanks everyone for the clarification. I remember reading somewhere that they weren't insulated - that birds don't get fried if they touch one b/c the current passes "through" and doesn't complete a circuit... until the bird bumps a second line.

OK, so the transformer, as I understand it, is to help insulate the house and the power lines from each other?

#161956 - 01/08/09 07:25 PM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Transformers step up or step down the voltage. Like the one behind my shop has three phase 14.4KVA comming into it. Obviously not useable by standard electrical/electronic equipment. The transformer steps it down to something that can be used. (240 VAC in my case. Two legs of 120.)

The insulators are what the wire is connected to at the pole/tower. Look to the large transmission lines that seem to suspend the wire below each "arm". The sticks of "bubbles" looking thing it is attached to is the insulator. The higher the voltage, the farther the wire must be away from a path to ground or another phase.

Guy I know works helo high line repair. I asked him what happens if he get too close to a path to ground while energized (would it hurt?). He said not at all. His body would just vaporize.

Oh yeah.. The bird or squirrel has no path to ground or another phase to be electrocuted. Should you see dead wildlife at the base of a pole, you shouldn't touch it or the pole. There is a good chance the pole is energized, and is also going to get you if you get close even.

Edited by Desperado (01/08/09 07:31 PM)

RIP OBG

#161959 - 01/08/09 07:43 PM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: MDinana]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, insulation is not the same as shielding. Insulation puts a highly resistive barrier to current flow, typically more resistive than the open air. Shielding shunts current from reaching the conductor by providing a different circuit path to discharge, such as the outer conductor of a coaxial cable. Typically the shunt is just run to ground, but sometimes it is run to a faraday well.

#161988 - 01/08/09 09:48 PM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: MDinana]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Thanks everyone for the clarification. I remember reading somewhere that they weren't insulated - that birds don't get fried if they touch one b/c the current passes "through" and doesn't complete a circuit... until the bird bumps a second line.

OK, so the transformer, as I understand it, is to help insulate the house and the power lines from each other?

Transformers do a bit more than that.
Electricity is interesting stuff, and these people do a better job explaining it than I could.

From the Govt
http://www.eia.doe.gov/basics/electricity_basics.html

From the Central Iowa Power Cooperative
http://cipco.apogee.net/foe/home.asp

and then a little self test from Bell for those who think they know a lot.
I know that I would fail this one, but I am not an electrician.
http://www.asisvcs.com/publications/pdf/710041.pdf

I think it is a good thing to have a decent understanding of the basics in case you are ever near downed lines or need to hook up a simple circuit, just for safety's sake.

#161990 - 01/08/09 09:51 PM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: Grouch]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Grouch
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
I tell you what. I am boycotting the Sun. It does nothing but try to kill us.

All that while sustaining us. wink

And encouraging young ladies to wear bikinis!!!!

#161991 - 01/08/09 09:54 PM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: wildman800]
samhain Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: wildman800
This is one of the reasons that I am so concerned about an EMP effect/incident in this country.

P.S. All of you "tin foil hat wearers" need to remove your hats before a major solar storm hits or else your brains will become zombie-ized and those fried brains are considered a delicacy by 57 different alien species!!!

But if you insist on wearing the tin foil hats remember to carry some Tony Chachere's in your BOB.

Everything tastes better with some Tony's (even brains....)!!!!

#161994 - 01/08/09 10:02 PM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: Blast]
samhain Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Blast
Perfect Space Storm Could be Catastrophic on Earth, Study Concludes

"Modern power grids are so interconnected that a big space storm -- the type expected to occur about once a century -- could cause a cascade of failures that would sweep across the United States, cutting power to 130 million people or more in this country alone, the new report concludes."

The fun part is their predicition that solar storm activity will peak in 2012. wink

-Blast

Remember when your local weather report would just tell you what the temp was probably going to be and if it might rain tomorrow?

The more information we gain, the more information we find ourselves needing.

I was just thinking about the Yellowstone e-quake frequency and wondering if we will eventually end up having weather broadcasts that cover not only atmospheric conditions but also geologic and interstellar conditions.

And looking at how these things all affect the weather / events the more useless the local news reports appear to me.

#162012 - 01/09/09 12:44 AM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: samhain]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: samhain
Originally Posted By: Grouch
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
I tell you what. I am boycotting the Sun. It does nothing but try to kill us.

All that while sustaining us. wink

And encouraging young ladies to wear bikinis!!!!

Good point! Ok. The boycott is over.

#162082 - 01/09/09 06:41 AM Re: New report on solar storms [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"... new satellites are now watching solar activity and would provide a warning of a major storm."

Okay, there's a major solar flare and scientists estimate we've got half a day to do something... So, what might that 'something' be? (Besides taking off the tinfoil hat)

And, what happens if it happens on a Sunday at 10 a.m.?

Sue

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.